School Overload ?

Guest New Family In Harrison

Guest New Family In Harrison

As a new family in town beginning to raise a family, I'm very troubled by the 7,000 new housing units being built in town. Basic math tells me that even with an average of only one child per unit, we're looking at 7,000 new students in a town with very little available classrrom space.

This problem is compounded by the fact that there is no open space to build additional schools.

Is there anyone that can answer this question for me ?? Why would this mayor and council, being aware of the shortage of classroom space and no land to build more schools, allow developers to build 7,000 new housing units ??

We haven't been in this town too long, but I'm afraid of what my kids will be facing in 3 or 4 years from now.

Any other thoughts on this ??

Guest guest
As a new family in town beginning to raise a family, I'm very troubled by the 7,000 new housing units being built in town.  Basic math tells me that even with an average of only one child per unit, we're looking at 7,000 new students in a town with very little available classrrom space.

This problem is compounded by the fact that there is no open space to build additional schools.

Is there anyone that can answer this question for me ??  Why would this mayor and council, being aware of the shortage of classroom space and no land to build more schools, allow developers to build 7,000 new housing units ??

We haven't been in this town too long, but I'm afraid of what my kids will be facing in 3 or 4 years from now.

SURE, pack everything and move to another town, but make sure there is not going to be a redeveloment.

Guest Dry Behind the Ears!
As a new family in town beginning to raise a family, I'm very troubled by the 7,000 new housing units being built in town.  Basic math tells me that even with an average of only one child per unit, we're looking at 7,000 new students in a town with very little available classrrom space.

Is there anyone that can answer this question for me ??  Why would this mayor and council, being aware of the shortage of classroom space and no land to build more schools, allow developers to build 7,000 new housing units ??

You can't possibly be that Nieve' to think any politician in the town currently gives a shit about your concerns in Education. Ask to see the lottery list for the townhouses and the names assigned to unit ownership. Then go to the third floor in the Town Hall and make an appointment to discuss your concerns with Mayor Ray and ask to have Peter B. in attendance, the Director of Re-Development. Make sure you have an accurate number of Townhouse Units w/ their names or their wives names or family members name attached to each contract? Most of these characters will be AWOL in 3-4 years, when you are looking to re-locate to a real school district where the Municipal resident has input.

Guest Guest

If you do not like what is going on, MOVE!

Guest Guest

Yeah,try checking out Hoboken and explain why as there population increased their school enrollment dropped.By the way when do you think those 7,000 units that are being built will be done.Maybe in ten years??????Yeah, you're a new family in Harrison and I'm the Pope.If it is done right ,change is good.

Guest guest

I think you should have checked this out before you moved into this town, there is really nothing for kids in this town there is not a good feeding program for sports either...it is a real shame because we have some talented children in this town and they will never be looked at. The only thing I can think about it if the Catholic school closes we will have to buy that building. I wish you luck but if you have a chance to get out of here I would go just so you can give your kids a chance.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Yeah,try checking out Hoboken and explain why as  there population increased their school enrollment dropped.By the way when do you think those 7,000 units that are being built will be done.Maybe in ten years??????Yeah, you're a new family in Harrison and I'm the Pope.If it is done right ,change is good.

"If it is done right, change is good" ?? So you're saying adding 7,000 new housing units is good ?? Which councilman are you ?? Get your head out of your butt.

Guest Guest
Yeah,try checking out Hoboken and explain why as  there population increased their school enrollment dropped.By the way when do you think those 7,000 units that are being built will be done.Maybe in ten years??????Yeah, you're a new family in Harrison and I'm the Pope.If it is done right ,change is good.

Good for who? How will this be good for current residents?

Guest Guest
Good for who?  How will this be good for current residents?

so these 7000 housing are just going to fall out of the sky one day.

Stop the bs,the scare tactics.

If there are ever 7000 housing units they're a long way off.But there will be construction and growing factors. Much, much better than abandoned factories or useless land.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I sure rather have the beautiful new high school sitting on the corner of Hamilton and Schuyler than the overgrown abandoned Allcraft Container.

You're a liar or a fool if you prefer the slow death this community was experiencing.

Change or die my friends.

Guest Guest

Don't see how everyone keeps comparing Harrison to Hoboken. I hear many times, Harrison can become another Hoboken. Never!

Harrison has to become it's own unique community during this development phase. Hoboken has many apartments and housing units shared by young couples or friends that work in the city. There are many people that come from outside NY/NJ metro area that move to Hoboken solely to have a career in this area. They all share apartments. Generally, when they have kids, they are not raising their families in Hoboken.

Hoboken's magnificent waterfront view of NYC is something Harrison will never have. It is priceless. Instead we want to keep the Hartz building and transform it into a Soho type marketplace. Knock it all down and start over. The future generations do not need any reminders of the past. Take some pictures and put them in the Harrison Museum.

Guest Guest

First question. Do you own or rent?

If you rent, don't worry. Many more units, more supply, cheaper rents to come.

If you bought, you can't be serious about what you just wrote. You would have never bought a house here if you were that concerned.

You should worry about what your kids face now.

Guest Guest
Don't see how everyone keeps comparing Harrison to Hoboken. I hear many times, Harrison can become another Hoboken. Never!

Harrison has to become it's own unique community during this development phase. Hoboken has many apartments and housing units shared by young couples or friends that work in the city. There are many people that come from outside NY/NJ metro area that move to Hoboken solely to have a career in this area. They all share apartments. Generally, when they have kids, they are not raising their families in Hoboken. 

Hoboken's magnificent waterfront view of NYC is something Harrison will never have. It is priceless. Instead we want to keep the Hartz building and transform it into a Soho type marketplace. Knock it all down and start over. The future generations do not need any reminders of the past. Take some pictures and put them in the Harrison Museum.

That's the idea, young professionals without kids. The Newark waterfront and skyline don't count!

Guest guest
That's the idea, young professionals without kids. The Newark waterfront and skyline don't count!

I agree this town is going down hill and I feel for these children. The school system is not that great either. The stuff my child does in school is baby work. They have absolutely nothing in this town for these children. All these new develpements and condos is a waste. Things are expensive as it is. Million dollar town homes are they insane. Anyone else with me on this.

Guest BlueTideBacker
I agree this town is going down hill and I feel for these children. The school system is not that great either. The stuff my child does in school is baby work. They have absolutely nothing in this town for these children. All these new develpements and condos is a waste. Things are expensive as it is. Million dollar town homes are they insane. Anyone else with me on this.

You're absolutely right. When the inmates run the asylum, which is the situation in Harrison, this is what you get. This mayor and council sealed Harrison's fate when they agreed to allow 7,000 new housing units and not one square foot for recreation space. There is NO WHERE for the kids to hit a baseball or fly a kite in this town and that's a tragedy.

This redevelopment plan presented the mayor and council with an opportunity to do somthing for the residents of Harrison; to create a "green space", a place to take a walk, sit on a park bench, fly a kite, sit under a tree. The developers would have thrown this in for free to get the lucrative contracts that were handed out.

Unfortunately, the mindset was to cram as many houses as possible into the redevelopment area and recreation space was just not important.

No wonder our high school sports teams (except soccer) do so poorly.

Guest Guest
You're absolutely right.  When the inmates run the asylum, which is the situation in Harrison, this is what you get.  This mayor and council sealed Harrison's fate when they agreed to allow 7,000 new housing units and not one square foot for recreation space.  There is NO WHERE for the kids to hit a baseball or fly a kite in this town and that's a tragedy.                                                                       

This redevelopment plan presented the mayor and council with an opportunity to do somthing for the residents of Harrison; to create a "green space", a place to take a walk, sit on a park bench, fly a kite, sit under a tree. The developers would have thrown this in for free to get the lucrative contracts that were handed out.

Unfortunately, the mindset was to cram as many houses as possible into the redevelopment area and recreation space was just not important. 

No wonder our high school sports teams (except soccer) do so poorly.

how long do you think it will take to build those 7,000 units? dim bulb! you are worried about kids playing ball and flying kites unless thats a new game cube or computer game kids these days aren't doing that the south american kids are playing soccer cause they cant pay the rent and afford those games of the other kids dont want to play games because they just dont care. dont blame the lack of green space in the old days we made our own space in the streets, peoples back yards and WEst Hudson park so why cant kids do that now cause they dont care

Guest BlueTideBacker
how long do you think it will take to build those 7,000 units? dim bulb! you are worried about kids playing ball and flying kites unless thats a new game cube or computer game kids these days aren't doing that the south american kids are playing soccer cause they cant pay the rent and afford those games of the other kids dont want to play games because they just dont care. dont blame the lack of green space in the old days we made our own space in the streets, peoples back yards and WEst Hudson park so why cant kids do that now cause they dont care

I really hope you're not a product of the Harrison school system. You write on a 5th grade level and I'd put your I.Q. at about 90. Pathetic.

Guest Guest

Redevelopement Agency estimates less than two children per ten new families. At these projections there will be no school overload. In fact there will be a decrease in children. Then they can take the Little League field and build houses on that.

Guest Guest

Because we can't let our Children up in the Park because kids keep getting jumped, and beat up for their cell phones, money and whatever else they have of value. Sorry this town is not safe and you can't let your children out of your sight.

It is not healthy for kids to sit in and play video games all the time, they wind up 200 pounds over weight and you have the State/DYFS telling you what you can feed your child in school as a snack.....GIVE ME A BREAK! Last time I checked I was the one paying my bills. But once again the people who do the right thing are punished.

What I am saying is I am tired of the Children who really want to be a part of things getting brushed off or the cops called on them because there is no where for them to go. Someone has to give them an opportunity maybe if there were things for them they would come out and get involved, but unfortunately the Recreation in this town S**ks!

Guest Realtor
Redevelopement Agency estimates less than two children per ten new families. At these projections there will be no school overload. In fact there will be a decrease in children. Then they can take the Little League field and build houses on that.

So at least 8 out of every 10 families will be childless ?? That's contrary to every national housing trend survey I've ever read. My estimate would be an average of one child per unit initially on move-in, increasing to two per unit.

This won't happen overnight, but 2 children per unit x 7,000 units equals 14,000 new classroom spaces needed.

Guest guest

What about 1-2 small parks with flowers and trees, to enhance the 'beauty' of the new neighborhood? Pople enjoy, looking out of their windows at trees, and flowers

And a small, park with a few benches, shaded by the peach or cherry blossom trees to stroll in or sit in or just look at, to feel less congested after spending all day in a crowded train or city. People find it relaxing to have a 'little' open space and a 'little' feel or nature. Don't be such a scrooge!

Guest Guest
So at least 8 out of every 10 families will be childless ?? That's contrary to every national housing trend survey I've ever read. My estimate would be an average of one child per unit initially on move-in, increasing to two per unit.

This won't happen overnight, but 2 children per unit x 7,000 units equals 14,000 new classroom spaces needed.

8 out of 10 families childless--no way that makes sense- what are they going to do? Have to sign a document that you will have not children/ then when woman gets pregant, have to move out. don't think so! There will be children and there will be overload.