Kearny Property Taxes to Increase More

KOTW

Check out our story on our Home page entitled "Kearny Property Taxes to Increase More" and Discuss your thoughts here under this topic. On a little more cheerful news check out our article on the West Hudson St. Patrick's Day Parade and celebrations scheduled for this Sunday, March 16, 2014. The Luck of the Irish will be with us as we expect good weather.

Guest Guest

At what point will he politicans learn that enough is enough.

This remark adds nothing to any conversation we might have. It only makes governing the Town harder. I own a home in Kearny, and would like for our taxes to be lower. But I also recognize that we need to pay taxes in order to have services we need and want. Mayor Santos stated the reasons for the increase, apparently. All of them sound plausible. Assuming that they are all true, what would you like him to do?

On the other hand, if anyone can think of ways that we could reduce the tax burden in Kearny, I'm all for it. But don't just blame it on "the politicians," who are really the public officials we elected in free elections to serve us, unless you can come up with suggestions that will work, and that will result in lower taxes. That's a cheap shot at some good people who are working hard to do the jobs we elected them to do. And no, I have no connecteion to Mayor Santos or anyone on the Town Council. I just think that blaming "the politicians" is the easiest thing in the world to do, but it doesn't accomplish anything.

Guest Taxpayer

This remark adds nothing to any conversation we might have. It only makes governing the Town harder. I own a home in Kearny, and would like for our taxes to be lower. But I also recognize that we need to pay taxes in order to have services we need and want. Mayor Santos stated the reasons for the increase, apparently. All of them sound plausible. Assuming that they are all true, what would you like him to do?

On the other hand, if anyone can think of ways that we could reduce the tax burden in Kearny, I'm all for it. But don't just blame it on "the politicians," who are really the public officials we elected in free elections to serve us, unless you can come up with suggestions that will work, and that will result in lower taxes. That's a cheap shot at some good people who are working hard to do the jobs we elected them to do. And no, I have no connecteion to Mayor Santos or anyone on the Town Council. I just think that blaming "the politicians" is the easiest thing in the world to do, but it doesn't accomplish anything.

I suggest that the town employees pay 50% of the their health benefits and be given the option to get different less expense plans.

Guest Guest

Kearny taxes are way higher than many other towns. Maybe if the town barred relatives of the ruling class from having any town job then taxes would be lower but as long as the town negotiate contracts with the unions their children. and spouses are members of the taxes will continue to skyrocket.

Guest The Silent Majority

The sad thing about all the problems facing Kearny is not this budget. But over all the years of reckless spending when times were good nobody prepared for bad times and the economy is in a bad time. This Mayor has been in office a long time and must bear the blame for most of these problems. Lets not enlist the people of Kearny to solve the problems of government this is what we elect our government officials to do but sad to say they FAILED and as for years of reckless spending this is why we are in the position we are in TODAY.

Guest Guest

The sad thing about all the problems facing Kearny is not this budget. But over all the years of reckless spending when times were good nobody prepared for bad times and the economy is in a bad time. This Mayor has been in office a long time and must bear the blame for most of these problems. Lets not enlist the people of Kearny to solve the problems of government this is what we elect our government officials to do but sad to say they FAILED and as for years of reckless spending this is why we are in the position we are in TODAY.

What the hell are you talking about? What reckless spending? What horrible position? We have a nice little town with a unique mix of residential and industrial areas. If you think Al Santos hasn't been a good mayor, the people of Kearny seem to disagree with you, because we keep electing him. In fact, the Republicans didn't even run anyone against him last time because they knew he would win. He's very good, far more responsible and honest than most politicians (and most people for that matter), and a true professional.

And why shouldn't people come forward with suggestions if they have them? Problem is, most of the "solutions" aren't solutions at all. You can't just cut municipal salaries without suffering for it.

Is the suggestion about not negotiating contracts with unions a serious suggestion? If it is, what are the details? The Mayor - whoever she or he may be at any given time - cannot just bypass the union. If you know different, please let us know. But give us the particulars, not just a one- or two-sentence claim that isn't backed up with any facts.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. If you can find a good way to cut the Town's expenditures, great. But I've seen these "discussions" before. The overwhelming majority of the time, the people doing to most complaining don't even begin to understand town government, or what steps would have to be taken to do what they imagine doing.

Guest Guest

That makes no sense. Local governments can't run deficits. They pay as they go. Maybe you're making a more subtle point but if you are, it escapes me.

Guest Taxes

What I meant by my statement regarding "enough is enough" is that tough decisions must be made and cuts made to positions, benefits, overtime across the board because even when you've paid off your mortgage it makes no sense to stay in Kearny because the taxes are higher than other surrounding communities including some of the Essex county towns. If the taxes continue as they are, home values will be affected downward and drastic cuts in the budget will have to be made and employees laid off in mass to balance it.

Guest Watching from the Sideline

That makes no sense. Local governments can't run deficits. They pay as they go. Maybe you're making a more subtle point but if you are, it escapes me.

Sure they can, they spend borrowed money all the time. Pension Contributions are a Prime example. Gov Whitman "Deferred" the Municipalities' pension payments (Which was continued by subsequent administrations) the Towns, including Kearny treated that money like it was theirs, spending it, and adding it to the budget. Now that that money has to be paid back, it's a Deficit. They do this stuff all the time with various grants, and assorted "Windfall" monies, and their solution is when the grants stop, or the money runs out, is cutting staff..which means cutting services... You get the Government you Deserve, and YOU people have been voting the current crop in for over a Decade now. Good Luck with that.

See if this escapes you, Answer this question if you can question, How much is in this budget for LEGAL SERVICES. This is only one line item in this budget.

Guest Guest

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone knows how to run a town except the people actually doing it. Occasionally, people get irate over one thing or another and vote in the perpetual complainers, who promptly make things worse.

Guest Guest

More like two decades, since we kicked out Vartan. We the people don't believe you Republicans can do a better job, because we've seen what you do when you get in. You only make things worse.

Meanwhile, where's the disaster? How far behind the 8-ball do you claim we are? You guys say this all the time but there are no facts to back it up. What are the numbers?

As for answers, it's always the same thing: everyone but you should take a pay cut. I do not want our police officers and firefighters, among others, to take what amounts to a pay cut. I want good people in those jobs, and you should too. If you have some real solutions, let's see them.

Like most Kearny residents, I don't read the Town's budget. If you have good ideas, put them out there. If they truly are good ideas, the people of Kearny will thank you, and probably Mayor Santos and the Council will, too. If your ideas are not adopted, then when election time rolls around, if you don't like who's in, put forward a slate candidates, or run yourself. But run with answers and a plan, not just your perpetual gripe and whine. And here on KOTW, don't just make a general whine about legal services or pensions without providing the hard numbers. Post to a link if you can. But don't just expect the rest of us to take your word for a general conclusion you've drawn. That doesn't help govern Kearny better.

More like two decades, since we kicked out Vartan. We the people don't believe you Republicans can do a better job, because we've seen what you do when you get in. You only make things worse.

Meanwhile, where's the disaster? How far behind the 8-ball do you claim we are? You guys say this all the time but there are no facts to back it up. What are the numbers?

As for answers, it's always the same thing: everyone but you should take a pay cut. I do not want our police officers and firefighters, among others, to take what amounts to a pay cut. I want good people in those jobs, and you should too. If you have some real solutions, let's see them.

Like most Kearny residents, I don't read the Town's budget. If you have good ideas, put them out there. If they truly are good ideas, the people of Kearny will thank you, and probably Mayor Santos and the Council will, too. If your ideas are not adopted, then when election time rolls around, if you don't like who's in, put forward a slate candidates, or run yourself. But run with answers and a plan, not just your perpetual gripe and whine. And here on KOTW, don't just make a general whine about legal services or pensions without providing the hard numbers. Post to a link if you can. But don't just expect the rest of us to take your word for a general conclusion you've drawn. That doesn't help govern Kearny better.

ACTUALLY TAXES WENT DOWN UNDER VARTAN. NO OTHER MAYOR HAS BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT. SANTOS HAS RAISED TAXES EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN IN OFFICE. THATS A FACT!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

Vartan was a HUGE problem... you Assume Wrongly that I am a Republican, if anything i'm Independent, in fact I was VERY Glad to vote for Pete McIntyre to get rid of Vartan. The Simple fact however, is that Vartan was SOLIDLY in Whitman's Entourage, and he decided to take her little "Gift" as what it was, exactly that...a Gift. Subsequent Mayors (Including Pete) however have CONTINUED that practice, earning the town a Deficit in the Millions, that is eventually going to have to be paid. Police and Fire, among others, WILL end up taking Pay cuts. It's sadly factual that it is Inevitable in the way that the current Governor (Republican, Note) and Legislature (Democrat) have worded the 2% cap on Pay and Benefits. As the cost of Health Care plans increases, that is going to have to come out of any possible raises, and eventually the Increases will Eclipse that 2% limit, and end up causing Pay cuts. That said this is about the Town, not the State and it's Issues. But, since you brought up the Police Dept, let's take a Look at that one aspect of the Town. The TO of the Kearny PD calls for 125 Men from Chief down to Patrolman. The current number is I Believe around 90, with somewhere in the area of at LEAST 20, and Possibly (Probably) More Ranking Officers and Patrolmen, including the majority of Captains, eligible to retire TODAY if they choose. That number includes Chief Dowie, DC King, and all of the Captains save 2. In the last 3 years over 20 Have retired..and the town has seen fit to hire THREE Replacements. You Tell me, is a 91-man Police Department, (Lower now than it was even under Vartan) enough for the Town of Kearny???

Guest Townsman

At what point will he politicans learn that enough is enough.

​At what point will Mayor Santos have enough of the current Board of Education. They are about to release the biggest tax increase in years or face laying off staff. Not to mention they are in the process of losing $30,000,000.00 + in State Aid with their decision in Reinstating a convicted criminal who was terminated by the State of NJ after they realized he illegally gained employment in Kearny Schools and now his Brother, who is a BOE member and his spineless puppets on the Board are about to bring him back, putting Kearny Student, Staff and Taxpayers in harms way. Mr. Mayor where are you going to come up with over $30 million dollars to fill that gap??????