How Pathetic

CabinBoy8

Out of 38,394 registered Kearny voters, only 1,561 actually took the time to vote in the Board of Education election. That is 4% of the total registered voters. All 38,294 registered voters were sent a sample ballot by the County Board of Elections so its not as though those that didn't vote didn't know there was an election. Even more pathetic is that out of those who voted, only 1,299 cast a vote on the Bd. of Ed. budget. That works out to 3.4%. So this means 1,299 registered voters approved a budget of over $47,000.000. The Bd. of Ed. budget is over 47% of the total tax doller in Kearny and despite all of the wailing over tax bills, the reality is that only a tiny percentage of people actually will take the few minutes it takes to go to the polls and vote.

Guest guest
Out of 38,394 registered Kearny voters, only 1,561 actually took the time to vote in the Board of Education election. That is 4% of the total registered voters. All 38,294 registered voters were sent a sample ballot by the County Board of Elections so its not as though those that didn't vote didn't know there was an election. Even more pathetic is that out of those who voted, only 1,299 cast a vote on the Bd. of Ed. budget. That works out to 3.4%. So this means 1,299 registered voters approved a budget of over $47,000.000. The Bd. of Ed. budget is over 47% of the total tax doller in Kearny and despite all of the wailing over tax bills, the reality is that only a tiny percentage of people actually will take the few minutes it takes to go to the polls and vote.

38,394 is the total population of Kearny, including children and illegals... I think your numbers are off

Guest Guest

How can there be 38,394 registered voters?? As of 2007 there were 37,295 live in Kearny.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kearny-New-Jersey.html

Not all of them are over 18, and we have a jail that has a couple of thousand of inmate that counted in our population that can’t vote. Yes tax are getting higher but most people here are renters and don’t really care if taxes go up. What’s pathetic is that a couple of million were transfer from the surplus that the school has and was put into the general budget and no one knows why or cares. With FBI investigation stalled and 47% of our taxes are going to the school, it crazed that they aren’t go after the board. I love how everyone is going after the mayor when they should really go after the school.

Guest Guest

im so glad i moved out of that town years ago. Those same people who did not vote, are going to be complaining about their taxes going up or wanting to know where their tax money went. Its no secret that the county and the schools take all of your tax money.

I actually hope their taxes do go up, this way there will be an outrage, and then you can throw it back into these peoples faces.. Although your going to need a translator do to it.

Guest Guest

You know? WHAT?

You're apparently incapable of differentiating between total population and registered voters :unsure:

Guest guest

My thoughts exactly. People need to realize that voting is a right that people in other countries die for.

Guest Guest

And they'll whine about their taxes and the schools.

School boards are bad enough without people like Castelli and Campbell. All they do is pander to whatever group they think might help them get elected. Just watch either of them conduct himself at a board meeting. They're grandstanders, not problem-solvers. Last year Castelli lost. This year, Martin-Marks had gotten some people upset with her, they turned out a few votes and put in Castelli. They went gunning for her and they got her. That's all it takes. This is no way to run a system that is in charge of that much money, not to mention the education of our kids.

Guest guest
And they'll whine about their taxes and the schools.

School boards are bad enough without people like Castelli and Campbell. All they do is pander to whatever group they think might help them get elected. Just watch either of them conduct himself at a board meeting. They're grandstanders, not problem-solvers. Last year Castelli lost. This year, Martin-Marks had gotten some people upset with her, they turned out a few votes and put in Castelli. They went gunning for her and they got her. That's all it takes. This is no way to run a system that is in charge of that much money, not to mention the education of our kids.

So true, but why would we elect someone to OUR Board of Education when she sends HER own kids to private schools. How much could she really care about our kids education. Seems to me it was a stepping stone to higher things.

Guest Guest
So true, but why would we elect someone to OUR Board of Education when she sends HER own kids to private schools. How much could she really care about our kids education. Seems to me it was a stepping stone to higher things.

Sending your kids to a private school is a prerogative that any taxpayer can choose providing they have the means to do so. Would you exclude someone from serving because they had no children? How about if all their children are grown? Do you really want to water down the criteria to serve that far? Mrs. Marks is not the first board member to send ONE of her children to private school & probably won't be the last. It's what she does to improve the educational system for ALL students that really counts. IMO, that was always her priority. There was a blacklash against her & most people know it & most people know why. Shame on them.

Guest I Know

I got the 38,394 number off a spreadsheet available to the public in the Town Clerk's Office, but I think you are right. Now that you pointed that out, I agree that number sounds way to big to be the number of registered voters. But even if you halve that number, it only doubles the percentage of eligible voter to 6.75% - still, in my view, pathetic.

Guest im a guest?
I got the 38,394 number off a spreadsheet available to the public in the Town Clerk's Office, but I think you are right. Now that you pointed that out, I agree that number sounds way to big to be the number of registered voters. But even if you halve that number, it only doubles the percentage of eligible voter to 6.75% - still, in my view, pathetic.

:unsure::):wub: you almost left out the point that most of the names come from the Arlington cemetery :wub::wub::wub: oh and they are just layingaround till next time to vote! just "diying to vote" :wub::wub::wub:

Guest Guest
Sending your kids to a private school is a prerogative that any taxpayer can choose providing they have the means to do so. Would you exclude someone from serving because they had no children? How about if all their children are grown? Do you really want to water down the criteria to serve that far? Mrs. Marks is not the first board member to send ONE of her children to private school & probably won't be the last. It's what she does to improve the educational system for ALL students that really counts. IMO, that was always her priority. There was a blacklash against her & most people know it & most people know why. Shame on them.

I might agree with you if there were other good people running, but Castelli!? Talk about watering down the criteria!

Guest Guest

sends a bad message

Guest Guest
I might agree with you if there were other good people running, but Castelli!? Talk about watering down the criteria!

Sounds like someon's bitter. Could it be because Castelli didn't support an ACLU agenda but Marks did and now she is gone?

Guest Guest
sends a bad message

You are missing the point. She does not have grown kids and she does have children in school so don't talk about possibilities that don't have anything to do with the situation. Is she above sending her kids to public school after 8th grade? Does she not have faith in KHS? Don't try and be involved in something if you have no skin in the game. We saw right through her. I know other people in the past had no kids in public schools. Does that mean it is ok?? Maybe they should not have been elected either......The voters have spoken. Stop crying and concentrate on getting a Mayor that lives in town and actually benefits Kearny. Change is good

Guest *Guests*
How can there be 38,394 registered voters?? As of 2007 there were 37,295 live in Kearny.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kearny-New-Jersey.html

Not all of them are over 18, and we have a jail that has a couple of thousand of inmate that counted in our population that can’t vote. Yes tax are getting higher but most people here are renters and don’t really care if taxes go up. What’s pathetic is that a couple of million were transfer from the surplus that the school has and was put into the general budget and no one knows why or cares. With FBI investigation stalled and 47% of our taxes are going to the school, it crazed that they aren’t go after the board. I love how everyone is going after the mayor when they should really go after the school.

Can't you tell by the turn out that nobody cares.

Guest Guest
sends a bad message

One of Rosmarys reasons for sending her son to a private school is the fact that she sat down with our then superintendant and assistant superintendant to discuss the need for more AP classes at the high school. She felt that our students weren't being challenged. They blew her off. The same thing with the discussion she has been having regarding basic skills. Some teachers have 5 students in a class while others have 20. She wanted to combine the classes with the lower numbers to free up the teacher to take on a different class. The department chair of testing ran around telling everyone that Rosemary was out to get them. Not true. Rosemary wanted and still wants what is best for the children of Kearny. It is a big loss to this district to lose someone as knowledegable as Rosemary. Hopefully, she will continue to go to some of the board meetings and ask the tough questions. If more people in this town care as much as she does and took action to improve our district, we could be the #1 district in the state.

Guest Guest
Sounds like someon's bitter. Could it be because Castelli didn't support an ACLU agenda but Marks did and now she is gone?

I have to agree with you that this is a big part of what makes Kearny what it is. If you vote for ignorance over intelligence and knowledge, then that is what you will get.