Parent Teacher Conferences

Guest Amazed parent

Guest Amazed parent

How ridiculous!! Scheduling the elementary schools' parent/teacher conferences on the SAME DAY as Lincoln Middle (Junior) School conferences. This is 2014, both parents of most students work during the day. Unbelievable!! If you have a child in Lincoln then you can forget speaking to the teachers in your other child's elementary school or vice versa. What planning!

Sorry to see that no one commented on this. You make a good point. Tell the BOE that this is going on, and point out the problem. There are some good people on the Board who will take your concerns to heart.

The middle school is still a work in progress. There will be many problems to be smoothed out until things are optimum. You are completely right that the dates should have been separated for Lincoln School and all of the elementary schools. I'm sure this will be a lesson learned and corrected for the next time.

I wish someone had brought it up before conferences, maybe it could have been avoided.

Guest Just informed parent

Yes, you would have thought that with all the principals, vice principals, other administrators and teachers involved in the six elementary schools in town, at least one official, would have remembered that they now have a separate, townwide 7th and 8th grade school and they would need a separate date for parent conferences. Maybe next year!

Yes, you would have thought that with all the principals, vice principals, other administrators and teachers involved in the six elementary schools in town, at least one official, would have remembered that they now have a separate, townwide 7th and 8th grade school and they would need a separate date for parent conferences. Maybe next year!

Except that principals, vice principal, administrators and teachers don't create the calendar or set policy. That is all decided by the BOE.

The administrators set the calendar after conferring with others and then the Board approves it. Come on, no one talks to each other down there? Not one employee would bring it to the Board's or administration's attention? Anyway, I assume it will be corrected next year. (Don't even try to blame it on the parents. What nerve!)

The administrators set the calendar after conferring with others and then the Board approves it. Come on, no one talks to each other down there? Not one employee would bring it to the Board's or administration's attention? Anyway, I assume it will be corrected next year. (Don't even try to blame it on the parents. What nerve!)

I don't think anyone is blaming this on the parents. The calendar was set last Spring. I know for a fact the inconvenience to families having to attend two different schools in one short afternoon was brought to administration. The answer was, that changing the calendar this late in the year would cause more problems than it would fix.

I don't think anyone is blaming this on the parents. The calendar was set last Spring. I know for a fact the inconvenience to families having to attend two different schools in one short afternoon was brought to administration. The answer was, that changing the calendar this late in the year would cause more problems than it would fix.

It was more than an inconvenience; it was an impossibility. Changing Lincoln School conferences from one day to the next should have hardly caused any problems. They certainly weren't worried about opening a huge, over-crowded, poorly equipped junior school at the last minute and all the problems involved with that. I'm glad some employees weren't asleep at the switch. Thanks for the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the difference if conferences are on the same day? Before the switch to one middle school, parents with children in 7th or 8th grade at Lincoln and others at Roosevelt or Garfield Schools always had to go between two schools. Most people found a way to work it out.

Yes, for the unemployed. One in the afternoon and one in the evening. There are many more than one teacher in 7th or 8th grade, that takes a whole evening, no time to run to Roosevelt, Schuyler, Garfield, Franklin or Washington to visit the other child's teacher.

You can't work it out if you have two or three children, in different schools, and want to see all the teachers. Staggering the conferences doesn't cost anybody anything. There's no reason not to, and some people would be helped. And judging parents who have a hard time making it to different schools, when they clearly want to attend the conferences, is not cool. So stop arguing about it, and do it. Stagger the conferences, so that on any given day, only certain grades are being conferenced.

Guest Self Interested

What's the difference if conferences are on the same day? Before the switch to one middle school, parents with children in 7th or 8th grade at Lincoln and others at Roosevelt or Garfield Schools always had to go between two schools. Most people found a way to work it out.

If they change the dates next year then the parent has a very good point and was correct in having different days, but they made sure that they changed the date in having off on the Monday instead of the Tuesday, Veterans Day so everyone would have their 3 day weekend. Talk about priorities!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, the calendar was made up last Spring - the conflict of conferences between the buildings was unfortunately overlooked. The Monday observance of Veterans' Day has been the routine for quite a few years.

If they change the dates next year then the parent has a very good point and was correct in having different days, but they made sure that they changed the date in having off on the Monday instead of the Tuesday, Veterans Day so everyone would have their 3 day weekend. Talk about priorities!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Including the students and the parents of the students who might have to take a day off of work on these holidays.