Kearny Rec Dept

Guest concerned

Guest concerned

For years the rec dept has been in shambles, with complaints being ignored from top too bottom, from the way the girls sports programs are treated or lack of any treatment to the continuing poor condition of all of the playing fields in town, from the size of uniforms (T_shirts) which im guessing here , its impossiible to order children sizes anymore, because for years they hand out Adult size shirts as uniforms by the way they pay $3. for each shirt, to the threats of not being able to coach (which is a volunteer position) if and when you question the bizzare behavior or lack of leadership, along with what could only be called as very bad job performance at best of the head of this program. This program has been ignored by the towns leadership for years , and the kids are the only ones that suffer, when is enough enough?, when will someone address this problem.

You are right about the shambles of the rec dept. I think the reason the boys are run better than the girls is that some of the fathers (parents) got together and are running the programs themselves. I don't mean volunteering as coaches, but actually running the programs. I think Mr. C is doing the best he can, but he is only an assistant. It seems the actual director/supervisor is missing in action. The fields are in shambles since Sandy (why?), but the problems have long preceded that. We need someone with a professional degree in recreation to run the programs as was the case in the past. I don't think the present mayor and council have much interest in youth recreation and that is the main reason why it is such a low priority. For a town of our size, it is a shame how our recreation dept. has diminished. Maybe you could attend a council meeting and state your concerns or contact your councilman or woman.