Observer article reporting BOE actions

Guest guest

Referring to the article in this week's Observer, I was glad to see that the Doran issue was finally resolved, in my opinion, fairly. What I am confused about is the tenure charges against the Superintendent, currently on involuntary paid leave. I was under the impression that superintendents, as of a number of years ago, were no longer under tenure and that they served strictly under contracts. Is this not so?

Guest School Watch

Referring to the article in this week's Observer, I was glad to see that the Doran issue was finally resolved, in my opinion, fairly. What I am confused about is the tenure charges against the Superintendent, currently on involuntary paid leave. I was under the impression that superintendents, as of a number of years ago, were no longer under tenure and that they served strictly under contracts. Is this not so?

If the Board of Education worked as hard to give the children of Kearny the best education instead of putting wasteful time and effort into bringing back a person with a known criminal past this School System would be one of the top School Systems in the state. But folks that what you get in Kearny less time on education and more time on things that will won't enhance the safety and quality of our schools. To the employee who was brought back thank your brother and the taxpayers for your return because if it was anyone else it would be a no brainer they wouldn't be back. TYPICAL KEARNY!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest On point

From my understanding ,if they didn't bring him back it would have cost the taxpayers a lot more money in lawsuits because of his illegal firing by the guy on his way out...

If the Board of Education worked as hard to give the children of Kearny the best education instead of putting wasteful time and effort into bringing back a person with a known criminal past this School System would be one of the top School Systems in the state. But folks that what you get in Kearny less time on education and more time on things that will won't enhance the safety and quality of our schools. To the employee who was brought back thank your brother and the taxpayers for your return because if it was anyone else it would be a no brainer they wouldn't be back. TYPICAL KEARNY!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Doran was illegally and irresponsibly terminated by Supt Ferraro, who never brought it to the board for approval. The question is why wasn't it brought to the Board for a decision? Why did Ferraro act independently and violate the law? Because of Doran's "criminal past"? Please, if you believe that one, I've got a bridge for you! And as for quality education being tossed aside, there's been more innovative educational advancements put in place in the past 10 months than has been done in years. You can speak from your point of view, but that doesn't make it true.

I was told that there are not enough computers at the new Middle School at Lincoln and that many of the ones they do have are broken. Also, all the after-school activities/clubs the students signed up for at the end of the summer, such as academic, athletic and music, have still, at this late date, mid-October, not started.

Guest Be Careful

From my understanding ,if they didn't bring him back it would have cost the taxpayers a lot more money in lawsuits because of his illegal firing by the guy on his way out...

What about the lawsuit that could happen to the Supt of Schools who hired this person illegally in the first place!!!!!!!

Guest 3 Ring Circus

Mr. Doran was illegally and irresponsibly terminated by Supt Ferraro, who never brought it to the board for approval. The question is why wasn't it brought to the Board for a decision? Why did Ferraro act independently and violate the law? Because of Doran's "criminal past"? Please, if you believe that one, I've got a bridge for you! And as for quality education being tossed aside, there's been more innovative educational advancements put in place in the past 10 months than has been done in years. You can speak from your point of view, but that doesn't make it true.

Mr. Doran illegally gained employment, took taxpayers dollars over a 10 year period without approval from the State DOE, and was in a School District working while having multiple guilty convictions rendering him ineligible for employment by a School District.

You seem to have all the answers and everyone else is wrong.........so tell us, How did that happen?

Also, don't continue to lie on this site regarding Mr. Ferraro terminating him, that decision was made by the State of NJ.

BTW, more "innovative educational advancements in the past 10 months"???? Really........Overcrowded Classes, not enough desks, not enough books, not enough "highly qualified teachers" so we have substitutes in classrooms giving hand outs for students to keep "busy" every day. and let's not forget a "temporary Superintendent" who has NO Superintendent Certificate !! What a joke sounds like the same excuse you wanted to get rid of Ferraro for, the only difference is he HAS a certificate and she don't, but thats OK she's your girl.

Guest Which clown are you?

Mr. Doran illegally gained employment, took taxpayers dollars over a 10 year period without approval from the State DOE, and was in a School District working while having multiple guilty convictions rendering him ineligible for employment by a School District.

You seem to have all the answers and everyone else is wrong.........so tell us, How did that happen?

Also, don't continue to lie on this site regarding Mr. Ferraro terminating him, that decision was made by the State of NJ.

BTW, more "innovative educational advancements in the past 10 months"???? Really........Overcrowded Classes, not enough desks, not enough books, not enough "highly qualified teachers" so we have substitutes in classrooms giving hand outs for students to keep "busy" every day. and let's not forget a "temporary Superintendent" who has NO Superintendent Certificate !! What a joke sounds like the same excuse you wanted to get rid of Ferraro for, the only difference is he HAS a certificate and she don't, but thats OK she's your girl.

No lying going on here. Mr. Ferraro did terminate him & Mr. Ferraro did not bring that decision to the Board for authorization. A superintendent of schools does NOT have the legal authority to terminate an employee, no matter how you dress it up as the State of NJ's decision. Can't really blame FF, though, he was only doing what he was told - and NOT by the State of NJ, but by people a little bit closer to home.

As for the "temporary Superintendent"? She actually has the same certification Mr. Ferraro had when he was hired by the fabulous five, which is termed as "provisional". He didn't have his "standard" certificate until a year after his appointment. The "temporary Superintendent" also will receive her standard certificate in early January.

As for her being my "GIRL" . . . despite your rather sexist terminology, you can certainly call her my "girl" all day long. Fine with me.

Next?

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: The above information has not been confirmed.

No lying going on here. Mr. Ferraro did terminate him & Mr. Ferraro did not bring that decision to the Board for authorization. A superintendent of schools does NOT have the legal authority to terminate an employee, no matter how you dress it up as the State of NJ's decision. Can't really blame FF, though, he was only doing what he was told - and NOT by the State of NJ, but by people a little bit closer to home.

As for the "temporary Superintendent"? She actually has the same certification Mr. Ferraro had when he was hired by the fabulous five, which is termed as "provisional". He didn't have his "standard" certificate until a year after his appointment. The "temporary Superintendent" also will receive her standard certificate in early January.

As for her being my "GIRL" . . . despite your rather sexist terminology, you can certainly call her my "girl" all day long. Fine with me.

Next?

You actually make no case for anyone to believe anything you post because of the clear anger you express to prior board members. Who you are and the affiliations you have offer you no merit to your one-sided statements.

The one thing that would prove you're wrong and what others have posted is correct is the letter sent to the Superintendents office by the State. If anyone on this site has that information please upload it and post it here for all to see. Or maybe Ron Leir would get a spine and inform the public of the antics of this rogue Board and the waste of such precious tax dollars.

The reason given for Mr. Ferraro's "paid leave" was that the Board did not believe he held the proper credentials to be Super. He proved he did........holding a Superintendents certificate from NY State and the State of NJ. Now you had Ms. Blood getting paid the Superintendents salary while all along she did not have the same documents you claimed Mr. Ferraro lacked, which she STILL does not have.

As someone posted previously, so sad.

Guest Lets move on!

Look this is all very simple! Politics at its worst. The previous BOE should have had all their ducks in order if they were going to fire a tenured employee. Mr. Doran did not lie. He disclosed his arrest record at the time he was hired. He is willing to show it if anyone had given him his due process rights. Please stop all of this! A DWI does not disqualify you from being hired in a school. Two pot charges were disorderly persons and the man was a kid! Let it go! I am appealing to every parent especially mothers in town. Ask yourselves this. Would you want your son or daughter fired from a job he held for ten years for something he did when he was a kid? Stop calling him a felon these were not felony charges! This is horrible. If you do not like who is in office go vote for someone else! Go run for office! Go to a board meeting! Ask questions annoy them or call elected officials names but DO NOT go after their sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. Every person who is behind this has done something stupid when they were young or their kid has. Lets clean up our own backyards and look to move forward! God bless you Mr. Doran. I wish you and your family well and hope you are never a victim of such ugliness again! No one should be. Let the super move on too! Believe me he has made his own mess! People up and down the state in education know what hand he played in this. Remember to vote this November!

Look this is all very simple! Politics at its worst. The previous BOE should have had all their ducks in order if they were going to fire a tenured employee. Mr. Doran did not lie. He disclosed his arrest record at the time he was hired. He is willing to show it if anyone had given him his due process rights. Please stop all of this! A DWI does not disqualify you from being hired in a school. Two pot charges were disorderly persons and the man was a kid! Let it go! I am appealing to every parent especially mothers in town. Ask yourselves this. Would you want your son or daughter fired from a job he held for ten years for something he did when he was a kid? Stop calling him a felon these were not felony charges! This is horrible. If you do not like who is in office go vote for someone else! Go run for office! Go to a board meeting! Ask questions annoy them or call elected officials names but DO NOT go after their sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. Every person who is behind this has done something stupid when they were young or their kid has. Lets clean up our own backyards and look to move forward! God bless you Mr. Doran. I wish you and your family well and hope you are never a victim of such ugliness again! No one should be. Let the super move on too! Believe me he has made his own mess! People up and down the state in education know what hand he played in this. Remember to vote this November!

1- The previous Board did not fire Doran

2- Doran DID lie.

3- Doran Did Not disclose his "multiple drug arrests", you're right a DWI does not disqualify him, but drug arrests do.

4- "A Kid", I don't think so. I consider a kid to be a child of 10, 11 12 years old, not someone in their 20's.

5- Very Funny, "Do Not go after their sons and daughters, brother, sisters, mothers and fathers." The Doran's declared their own personal war against certain individuals, and with NO REASON, except for certain people did not agree with the same ideas they had. Their actions only, once again COST the taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to defend innocent people who they tried to discredit, attack their livelihoods and ruin their reputations. Again, with NO REASON, just because they wanted to. So if anybody knows about being a "victim of ugliness" they should know best !!!!! But I could not agree with you more that individuals, family members, etc. should never be attacked, if board members have issues with each other it should stay in the board room and never venture beyond.

6- Appealing to Moms to be OK with letting a multiple convicted drug users back around my kids, No Way, sorry there are enough problems to worry about than allowing someone around kids that the law clearly does not permit.

7-The Super did not make his own mess. He followed a "directive" from his boss, the State of NJ. The mess started when the Board with the individuals brother being on the Board took out the Super for doing his duty.

Guest Send in the Clowns

You actually make no case for anyone to believe anything you post because of the clear anger you express to prior board members. Who you are and the affiliations you have offer you no merit to your one-sided statements.

The one thing that would prove you're wrong and what others have posted is correct is the letter sent to the Superintendents office by the State. If anyone on this site has that information please upload it and post it here for all to see. Or maybe Ron Leir would get a spine and inform the public of the antics of this rogue Board and the waste of such precious tax dollars.

The reason given for Mr. Ferraro's "paid leave" was that the Board did not believe he held the proper credentials to be Super. He proved he did........holding a Superintendents certificate from NY State and the State of NJ. Now you had Ms. Blood getting paid the Superintendents salary while all along she did not have the same documents you claimed Mr. Ferraro lacked, which she STILL does not have.

As someone posted previously, so sad.

I could care less whether you think I have any credibility because you think I'm "angry". I certainly wouldn't have categorized my remarks as angry. On the contrary, now that the boe has cleaned house and righted some wrongs, the anger is (almost) gone. What was "sad" was how much damage was inflicted before the dust settled. And that letter you referred to? You think that letter somehow justifies what was done to an employee of 10 years? Seems to me that if anybody's angry, it's you. So, so sad.

I for one, am pleased that things worked out for Mr. Doran. We have all done stupid things when we were in our early 20's. Get real,it was marijuana folks, a drug that BTW has been legalized in a few states, and it was a small amount. If it was cocaine or crack, I would feel differently. Best wishes to you Mr. Doran

Guest KayTee369

Sad and ignorant! It's also scarey that these individuals can hate someone so badly! The super works for the BOE! His contract was with the Kearny Board of Ed! He does not nor did he, or any super work for the criminal history division of the state of NJ who alledely wrote a letter telling him to fire the man. Thats just pure BS. Before you jump to your keyboard saying the letter was in the paper and they got it through an OPRA request, I would think twice. If that letter is real, which is questionable at best, it is a personel matter and not available under an OPRA request! I would not quote from it on an open forum. It appears Mr. Doran has a good attorney. Probably at a considerable family discount. You may not be so fortunate. The super and the board violated every employee firing practice in the book! This is a guy the town was paying how much money? If it was not so sad it would be funny! He didn't think he should speak to the board attorney or bring the issue to the board for a vote? But thought it was a good idea to talk to the mans mother?! Maybe this was not politics after all. Just pure stupidity! Certain board members abused their power in this case and it back fired! Super was hired by BOE and told to fire Mr. Doran and you all know it! It back fired! You tripped over your own hatefullness and egos!

So you say 20 is not a kid? Ok, but his two disorderly person convictions were twenty plus years ago. How long must one pay for a mistake such as a disorderly person charge at 20? Kearny children are in much more danger from puritan thinking such as yours then a person who made two mistakes when he was 20! I hope if you have children they never make mistakes after 10, 11, or twelve! God help them! Previous post is right. Move on! Please do something good for children instead of using them as an excuse to do evil!

Guest Tit for Tat

Sad and ignorant! It's also scarey that these individuals can hate someone so badly! The super works for the BOE! His contract was with the Kearny Board of Ed! He does not nor did he, or any super work for the criminal history division of the state of NJ who alledely wrote a letter telling him to fire the man. Thats just pure BS. Before you jump to your keyboard saying the letter was in the paper and they got it through an OPRA request, I would think twice. If that letter is real, which is questionable at best, it is a personel matter and not available under an OPRA request! I would not quote from it on an open forum. It appears Mr. Doran has a good attorney. Probably at a considerable family discount. You may not be so fortunate. The super and the board violated every employee firing practice in the book! This is a guy the town was paying how much money? If it was not so sad it would be funny! He didn't think he should speak to the board attorney or bring the issue to the board for a vote? But thought it was a good idea to talk to the mans mother?! Maybe this was not politics after all. Just pure stupidity! Certain board members abused their power in this case and it back fired! Super was hired by BOE and told to fire Mr. Doran and you all know it! It back fired! You tripped over your own hatefullness and egos!

So you say 20 is not a kid? Ok, but his two disorderly person convictions were twenty plus years ago. How long must one pay for a mistake such as a disorderly person charge at 20? Kearny children are in much more danger from puritan thinking such as yours then a person who made two mistakes when he was 20! I hope if you have children they never make mistakes after 10, 11, or twelve! God help them! Previous post is right. Move on! Please do something good for children instead of using them as an excuse to do evil!

The only thing that "back fired" is that you don't like swallowing the same medicine you dished out. "get over it" and stop crying on this site !!

There is a great phase, "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated"

KayTee, I don't know if you're a mom or not, but you sure show what side you're on, if there even is sides. You put statements out there which sure makes it sounds like you are on the inside and not just an innocent bystander giving an opinion. What role do you play here?

I know a few things, on Jan 15, 2014 there Observer did a story and this information by way of an OPRA reported that the DOE released findings that this individual committed (3) known acts rendering guilty verdicts of drug convictions. 1993, 1995 and 1996, seams pretty habitual to me. So lets get it straight, the letter IS real, not questionable.

The fact that the Super spoke to the mans mother certainly makes this appear that the Super tried to be up front and human about the situation but somehow you find that wrong. I don't know how board members abused any power at all, this was not their action. The Super being told to fire Mr. Doran, this is just your emotional opinion, the Super can not just fire someone, there has to be good reason or as in this case an order from the State.

I say slow down, stop banging out !!!!!!!!!!!!!! on your keyboard and take this situation for what it is not what you want to make it.

A disqualifying letter sent to the Super from the State of NJ rendering this man exempt from school employment. Nothing more nothing less.

KayTee, I don't know if you're a mom or not, but you sure show what side you're on, if there even is sides. You put statements out there which sure makes it sounds like you are on the inside and not just an innocent bystander giving an opinion. What role do you play here?

I know a few things, on Jan 15, 2014 there Observer did a story and this information by way of an OPRA reported that the DOE released findings that this individual committed (3) known acts rendering guilty verdicts of drug convictions. 1993, 1995 and 1996, seams pretty habitual to me. So lets get it straight, the letter IS real, not questionable.

The fact that the Super spoke to the mans mother certainly makes this appear that the Super tried to be up front and human about the situation but somehow you find that wrong. I don't know how board members abused any power at all, this was not their action. The Super being told to fire Mr. Doran, this is just your emotional opinion, the Super can not just fire someone, there has to be good reason or as in this case an order from the State.

I say slow down, stop banging out !!!!!!!!!!!!!! on your keyboard and take this situation for what it is not what you want to make it.

A disqualifying letter sent to the Super from the State of NJ rendering this man exempt from school employment. Nothing more nothing less.

And this letter magically appeared after more than ten years? Please people are not that stupid!

Guest Just Say No To Drugs

I for one, am pleased that things worked out for Mr. Doran. We have all done stupid things when we were in our early 20's. Get real,it was marijuana folks, a drug that BTW has been legalized in a few states, and it was a small amount. If it was cocaine or crack, I would feel differently. Best wishes to you Mr. Doran

You should move to those states that have legalized marijuana than you can smoke all you want, but it was Illegal in NJ and continues to be illegal in NJ.

Guest Enough already

There is so much baloney in your post you should take it on a picnic. I won't pick it apart because it's not worth the energy. But the most ridiculous statement is that you actually think a Superintendent of Schools can fire somebody without Board approval. The "STATE" can not order someone to be fired and the letter you refer to stated the employee was "permanently disqualified from employment", typical weasel words used by all kinds of bureaucratic agencies in this country whose authority can only go so far. The letter did not say to fire this employee, no matter how you twist it.

This superintendent violated the employee's legal rights, did not follow legal procedures, and did it all without authorization of the board of education. He completely sidestepped the legal termination process and then overstepped his authority by doing it without consulting the board of ed. And you think he was trying to be "up front and human"? Wow.

Guest Greek lover

You have to be kidding me...the super resigned because he knew he was a *****... Hey ***** give it up and do everybody a favor and retire you *** *******. You have nothing good to say about anybody. But you have to check your own *** before you start shit with anyone else you troublemaker

Edited by KOTW
Content.