Free speech, foreign concept to Canessa!

Guest vmunchie

Guest vmunchie

Mr. Canessa from the observer wrote an article after the Kearny Board of Ed meeting on Feb. 20. Apparently Mr. Canessa doesn't like seeing children supporting those they love. According to him, we the parents of the children who were present at that meeting, were using our children as "pawns" for the things we believe in.

I've been following this issue closely and have kept my mouth shut on many things that honestly made me want to scream! But where does Mr. Canessa get the authority to tell me that my children cannot show support something they believe in? Is Matthew La Clair the only one with freedom of speech rights in the United States?

SHAMEFUL, MR. CANESSA, JUST SHAMEFUL, you are supposed to be unbiased as a reporter!

I wrote a letter to the observer and encourage all of the parents who's children were present, to do the same. His article was an attack on your parental judgement!

HERE'S A COPY OF MY LETTER:

Mr. Canessa,

I AM OUTRAGED! Your blatant, incredibly uninformed, disgustingly uncalled for statement about children at the last BOE meeting; is not only inaccurate, but it's also repulsive. You should rethink your words, did you stop to ask those children's parents if they approved of their presence at the meeting? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, and how do I know that? I know it because I am one of the parents. You are making FALSE accusations about my children, my principles, my beliefs and you are infringing on my and my children's rights. FREEDOM OF SPEECH, remember that one? The one that Matthew La Clair holds so dear to his poor, little, traumatized heart? Well, Mr. Paszkiewicz, my children, myself and (just so you don't forget) everyone else in this country have those same rights. And though you may disagree, we can exercise them just like anyone else does, regardless of age. You seem to think that just because you don't like the support that Mr. Paszkiewicz receives you can makes false statements at will. You are wrong!

Let me give you a little background on some of those children at that meeting and than you tell me if they didn't WANT to support Mr. Paszkiewicz. Majority of those children have had the pleasure of Mr. Paszkiewicz's teaching in one form or another. I personally was a Sunday school student of Mr. Paszkiewicz. My children have had the wonderful pleasure of participating in his church and know him on a personal level. The day of the meeting, I was, unfortunately, unable to attend, however, my children BEGGED me to let my mother take them with her. Yes, I said BEGGED! They wanted to support the man that is always there for them when they are in need. They know how kind Mr. Paszkiewicz is to our family and many, many others. They came up with what to write on some of our signs. They WROTE most of our signs. "Jesus saves" was my 6 year old daughter's idea! They, on their own, asked all of their little friends to pray for Mr. Paszkiewicz.

So Mr. Canessa, before you judge and pass YOUR verdict to the public. GET your facts straight! I don't remember you calling, writing or coming to see me and ask me about my children's involvement. And I know you didn't ask them. Oh that's right, I forgot, objective reporting is not your strong suit!

I AM OFFENDED! MY CHILDREN ARE OFFENDED! And I am willing to bet that many of those other parents are offended as well! Because this is not only a blatantly biased article that your have written, it's also an attack on my parenting skills. What makes you the authority of what I allow my children to participate in? What makes you the authority to say my children are being used as "pawns"? "Did these parents think using children would help their cause?" Yes, my children were there showing support for someone they love! Someone that shows support for them when they need it. "Many of the kids probably don’t even realize what is going on here." Really? My 9 year old daughter came home from that meeting and said to me, "We should pray for that boy, he has a lot of hurt in his heart and he's taking it out on Mr. Paszkiewicz." Watch out Mr. Canessa, children are much, much smarter than you give them credit for. Look at Matthew La Clair, he has learned how to manipulate the system and still look like a victim!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest disgusted with this whole situat

Very well said and I agree with you wholeheartedly! I just hope people read your comment here because you know it will never be printed in the Observer. I would like to see them just once print an editorial that they don't back. You are absolutely right - it is the the job of an editor to be unbiased when reporting a story. I don't have any children who were there but for him to make statements like using them as pawns was wrong and if he had an ounce of dignity, he would print an apology for offending those he knows nothing about.

Sounds like your nine year old daugher has more sense then alot of the adults who are dragging out this whole matter. They should take a lesson from her.

Guest Guest

Actually, Munchie, if youve ever read a newspaper, which it appears you don't on a regular basis, you'd know newspapers everywhere, not just Kearny, write editorials, which are the opinion of the newspaper as a whole, not just the editor.

I read the same editorial you refer to. I thought it was right on target. And just like the rest of you Paskewicz cronies, I find it just as interesting that the same freedom of speech you "pray" about your critical of because, God forbid, it's used by a newspaper.

Its pretty obvious that your OK with using a 6 yr. old for political means. And if your 6 yr. old BEGGED you to go to that meeting, I wonder, what are you brainwashing that kid with? Thats really sad, hun.

Mr. Canessa from the observer wrote an article after the Kearny Board of Ed meeting on Feb. 20.

I was not able to find this online. Perhaps it was only in the actual printed newspaper, or maybe I just failed to look in the right place. If it is online somewhere, a link would be appreciated. Thanks. (I did find your letter there, though)

You are making FALSE accusations about my children, my principles, my beliefs and you are infringing on my and my children's rights.

What exactly did he say that infringed (or even suggested infringing) your rights? Nothing you've quoted supports that. Criticizing what someone says, or even criticizing them for saying it, is not the same as denying them the right to say it.

"Many of the kids probably don’t even realize what is going on here." Really? My 9 year old daughter came home from that meeting and said to me, "We should pray for that boy, he has a lot of hurt in his heart and he's taking it out on Mr. Paszkiewicz."

That supports his position, not yours. That you think otherwise suggests that you don't understand what's going on any better than your child does.

Mr. Canessa from the observer wrote an article after the Kearny Board of Ed meeting on Feb. 20. Apparently Mr. Canessa doesn't like seeing children supporting those they love. According to him, we the parents of the children who were present at that meeting, were using our children as "pawns" for the things we believe in.

He's 100% correct. Parents treated their kids like walking billboards, while the kids had no idea what was going on--I heard not a single child say anything about the issue, but several of them chattering about being on TV. It was sick to see children used that way.

I've been following this issue closely and have kept my mouth shut on many things that honestly made me want to scream! But where does Mr. Canessa get the authority to tell me that my children cannot show support something they believe in?

I doubt many children under ten have even the CAPACITY to understand the situation, much less take a stance and "believe" what you do. Yet many of the children walking around with signs were around that age.

Is Matthew La Clair the only one with freedom of speech rights in the United States?

SHAMEFUL, MR. CANESSA, JUST SHAMEFUL, you are supposed to be unbiased as a reporter!

I wrote a letter to the observer and encourage all of the parents who's children were present, to do the same. His article was an attack on your parental judgement!

And he was 100% correct in attacking it. That kind of "parenting" is absolutely disgusting.

I don't care to read or reply to you trying to justify manipulating one's children as a means to an end.

Look at Matthew La Clair, he has learned how to manipulate the system and still look like a victim!

And you've clearly learned that skill pretty well yourself. Who is it that's always reminding us "There's no right not to be offended... people who complain about being offended should just shut up"? Gosh, which group is always saying that? I just can't recall....

If your kids really are smart, they'll eventually figure out that the 'beloved' Mr. P doesn't care about the principles our country was founded on. Hopefully your good parenting skills can steer them away from such a dangerous realization and let you continue playing the poor, oppressed majority.

I've been following this issue closely and have kept my mouth shut on many things that honestly made me want to scream! But where does Mr. Canessa get the authority to tell me that my children cannot show support something they believe in? Is Matthew La Clair the only one with freedom of speech rights in the United States?

Mr. Canessa,

I AM OUTRAGED! Your blatant, incredibly uninformed, disgustingly uncalled for statement about children at the last BOE meeting; is not only inaccurate, but it's also repulsive. You should rethink your words, did you stop to ask those children's parents if they approved of their presence at the meeting? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, and how do I know that? I know it because I am one of the parents. You are making FALSE accusations about my children, my principles, my beliefs and you are infringing on my and my children's rights. FREEDOM OF SPEECH, remember that one? The one that Matthew La Clair holds so dear to his poor, little, traumatized heart? Well, Mr. Paszkiewicz, my children, myself and (just so you don't forget) everyone else in this country have those same rights. And though you may disagree, we can exercise them just like anyone else does, regardless of age. You seem to think that just because you don't like the support that Mr. Paszkiewicz receives you can makes false statements at will. You are wrong!

Let me give you a little background on some of those children at that meeting and than you tell me if they didn't WANT to support Mr. Paszkiewicz. Majority of those children have had the pleasure of Mr. Paszkiewicz's teaching in one form or another. I personally was a Sunday school student of Mr. Paszkiewicz. My children have had the wonderful pleasure of participating in his church and know him on a personal level. The day of the meeting, I was, unfortunately, unable to attend, however, my children BEGGED me to let my mother take them with her. Yes, I said BEGGED! They wanted to support the man that is always there for them when they are in need.  They know how kind Mr. Paszkiewicz is to our family and many, many others. They came up with what to write on some of our signs. They WROTE most of our signs. "Jesus saves" was my 6 year old daughter's idea! They, on their own, asked all of their little friends to pray for Mr. Paszkiewicz.

So Mr. Canessa, before you judge and pass YOUR verdict to the public. GET your facts straight! I don't remember you calling, writing or coming to see me and ask me about my children's involvement. And I know you didn't ask them. Oh that's right, I forgot, objective reporting is not your strong suit!

I AM OFFENDED! MY CHILDREN ARE OFFENDED! And I am willing to bet that many of those other parents are offended as well! Because this is not only a blatantly biased article that your have written, it's also an attack on my parenting skills. What makes you the authority of what I allow my children to participate in? What makes you the authority to say my children are being used as "pawns"? "Did these parents think using children would help their cause?" Yes, my children were there showing support for someone they love! Someone that shows support for them when they need it. "Many of the kids probably don’t even realize what is going on here." Really? My 9 year old daughter came home from that meeting and said to me, "We should pray for that boy, he has a lot of hurt in his heart and he's taking it out on Mr. Paszkiewicz." Watch out Mr. Canessa, children are much, much smarter than you give them credit for. Look at Matthew La Clair, he has learned how to manipulate the system and still look like a victim!

Very Christian of you.

Guest Steve_C

Mr. Canessa,

Let me give you a little background on some of those children at that meeting and than you tell me if they didn't WANT to support Mr. Paszkiewicz. Majority of those children have had the pleasure of Mr. Paszkiewicz's teaching in one form or another. I personally was a Sunday school student of Mr. Paszkiewicz. My children have had the wonderful pleasure of participating in his church and know him on a personal level. The day of the meeting, I was, unfortunately, unable to attend, however, my children BEGGED me to let my mother take them with her. Yes, I said BEGGED! They wanted to support the man that is always there for them when they are in need.  They know how kind Mr. Paszkiewicz is to our family and many, many others. They came up with what to write on some of our signs. They WROTE most of our signs. "Jesus saves" was my 6 year old daughter's idea! They, on their own, asked all of their little friends to pray for Mr. Paszkiewicz.

Boo hoo. You don't sound very much like a follower of Jesus.

Not alot of turning the other cheek.

for him to make statements like using them as pawns was wrong

Morally wrong? You're just sore because you're the one being criticized.

Factually wrong? Absolutely not. I saw that travesty with my own eyes.

and if he had an ounce of dignity, he would print an apology for offending those he knows nothing about.

He judged the actions you took--what else is there to judge someone by? When you go around using and manipulating your children like that, you deserve every bit of criticism you get. You should be ashamed of dragging them into this issue, much less indoctrinating them into following your ignorant footsteps.

Guest Concerned Citizen

The absolutely mindless mob that surrounded Mr. Paszkiewicz was nothing short of a cult. The man ranting that “Jesus is on trial” at a school board meeting for a public taxpayer-financed school system made my blood run cold. The vitriol hurled at the LaClair family, particularly Matt, is more reminiscent of what you would expect in Iraq or Iran than the USA. KHS shouldn't be the Christian version of a madrassa. Can you imagine what would happen if LaClair supporters had signs that read "Fundamentalist teaching kills" - they would never make it into the building. I'd venture to say that if "Pastor Paszkiewicz" were Muslim instead of "Christian" he would have been fired immediately. Please, if you want your children to believe in a literal interpretation of the bible unsullied by science or reason send your kids to a private school - but you can't inflict this lunacy in a public school.

It also scares me that Mr. Paszkiewicz seems to think, and so far rightly so, that he is untouchable. The scorn and ridicule of much of the nation seems to have no affect on the actions of the administration or the school board. Did the school board even listen to the tapes before deciding to ban them? Is this crazy behavior just Hudson County or the rest of New Jersey as well?

So far we haven’t heard from the Science faculty at KHS. What is their position on their raving colleague? My guess is that their silence is a sign that if they criticized Mr. Paszkiewicz, the school board or the administration, they would be punished (unlike the teacher who abused his power in the classroom and started the whole mess). Indeed, that implied threat in our education system is the scariest thing of all.

Very Christian of you.

Being a Christian doesn't mean we don't get angry, or have opinions. We're human and are subject to error just like everyone else.

Now that I defended that position......

vmunchie....I can appreciate your the passion and the conviction which lead you to write that letter but I think you fail to understand some pretty important points....

Children as young as 6 or even 8 are imitators of their parents example. Children often times behave and act to please the adults around them. Because of their tender ages they have not acquired the ability to discern with maturity, their own thoughts. While it may be the desire of a child to stand up and want to show support for someone they look up to, respect, and love that doesn't mean they have a full understanding of those actions or what they are even supporting. The seriousness of this situation is difficult for most adults to comprehend, what makes you believe that a child is going to get it?

I have no doubt that you are a good parent who is raising their children in the love of the Lord but I think that your anger is misplaced.

First, Mr. Canessa can take and hold any view that he wants. He is protected by the same rights you are complaining about having violated. Mr. Canessa is not bound to write and print only things that you agree with.

Second, children really had no place at that meeting. Period. What good lesson was to be learned by the children, seeing the adults they look up engaging in such serious and heated discussions that they cannot comprehend?

While I applaud your children wanting to show their love for Mr. P, they could've done it with a handmade card...I'm sure the neither the effort nor the message would've been lost.

vmunchie.... I sympathize and totally understand where you're coming from, but sometimes we have to just stand on faith alone.

Keep in mind too, that while it is our desire to raise our children in faith it is God who calls our children to faith according to his timetable not ours.

Very Christian of you.

Being a Christian doesn't mean we don't get angry, or have opinions. We're human and are subject to error just like everyone else.

Now that I defended that position......

vmunchie....I can appreciate your the passion and the conviction which lead you to write that letter but I think you fail to understand some pretty important points....

Children as young as 6 or even 8 are imitators of their parents example. Children often times behave and act to please the adults around them. Because of their tender ages they have not acquired the ability to discern with maturity, their own thoughts. While it may be the desire of a child to stand up and want to show support for someone they look up to, respect, and love that doesn't mean they have a full understanding of those actions or what they are even supporting. The seriousness of this situation is difficult for most adults to comprehend, what makes you believe that a child is going to get it?

I have no doubt that you are a good parent who is raising their children in the love of the Lord but I think that your anger is misplaced.

First, Mr. Canessa can take and hold any view that he wants. He is protected by the same rights you are complaining about having violated. Mr. Canessa is not bound to write and print only things that you agree with.

Second, children really had no place at that meeting. Period. What good lesson was to be learned by the children, seeing the adults they look up engaging in such serious and heated discussions that they cannot comprehend?

While I applaud your children wanting to show their love for Mr. P, they could've done it with a handmade card...I'm sure the neither the effort nor the message would've been lost.

vmunchie.... I sympathize and totally understand where you're coming from, but sometimes we have to just stand on faith alone.

Keep in mind too, that while it is our desire to raise our children in faith it is God who calls our children to faith according to his timetable not ours.

My 9 year old daughter came home from that meeting and said to me, "We should pray for that boy, he has a lot of hurt in his heart and he's taking it out on Mr. Paszkiewicz."

Did you correct her? If not, you're condoning and perhaps encouraging your 9-year-old to make this kind of judgment about someone she doesn't even know. Have you forgotten Jesus' admonition not to judge others? Or is it that you just don't care because Matthew has challenged you in some fashion?

I have lived with Matthew every day since the day he was born. He is generous of spirit (more than almost anyone I know), and bears no ill will toward anyone. If you have paid attention to how he has conducted himself throughout this ordeal, you will see the kind of peace, grace and kindness that your Bible speaks of. I have become agitated at times, but he has not. The hurt in his heart is what he feels for every person who is suffering as a result of wrong actions. I know him better than you do, so I know. If you would care to get to know him a bit, I'm sure he would sit and talk with you and your daughter --- if you promise to listen with a truly open mind and heart.

In attepmting to disparage my son, you've said volumes about yourself. That's usually how that works.

Guest Guest
Boo hoo. You don't sound very much like a follower of Jesus.

Not alot of turning the other cheek.

BOO hOO! Christianity must really really bother you, huh? Man, I wonder why Atheisim or any other religion don't bother me at all... :)

Guest Guest
I was not able to find this online. Perhaps it was only in the actual printed newspaper, or maybe I just failed to look in the right place. If it is online somewhere, a link would be appreciated. Thanks. (I did find your letter there, though)

What exactly did he say that infringed (or even suggested infringing) your rights? Nothing you've quoted supports that. Criticizing what someone says, or even criticizing them for saying it, is not the same as denying them the right to say it.

That supports his position, not yours. That you think otherwise suggests that you don't understand what's going on any better than your child does.

And you are not even from Kearny...Apparently, you don't know a lot of what's going on...Keep listening to Strife, Mr. LaClair, etc...that's all the information you can get...

Guest Dingo Dave

vmunchie wrote:

I personally was a Sunday school student of Mr. Paszkiewicz. My children have had the wonderful pleasure of participating in his church and know him on a personal level. The day of the meeting, I was, unfortunately, unable to attend, however, my children BEGGED me to let my mother take them with her. Yes, I said BEGGED! They wanted to support the man that is always there for them when they are in need. They know how kind Mr. Paszkiewicz is to our family and many, many others. They came up with what to write on some of our signs. They WROTE most of our signs. "Jesus saves" was my 6 year old daughter's idea! They, on their own, asked all of their little friends to pray for Mr. Paszkiewicz.

If your 6 year old daughter was waiving around a self made sign which said 'Jesus saves', then it seems that you have done an effective job of brainwashing her at a very tender age to believe the same load of old superstitions that you were undoubtedly raised to believe. How is a six year old child supposed to make an informed judgement about the contents of an ancient 1300 page story book called the Bible? The answer is of course that she can't.

It appears that Paszkiewicz has helped to brainwash you, and that you are simply perpetuating his methods with your children.

If that's what you want to do in your own home, then that's your business. However many of us non-Christian parents don't want that for our kids.

Many of us would prefer to teach our children to think for themselves, without imposing a bunch of ancient superstitions upon them long before they have developed the critical thinking skills neccesary to evaluate the accuracy the information that is being drummed into their tiny developing minds.

If you feel comfortable indoctrinating your children at such a tender age with concepts such as inherited sin, vicarious atonement, human sacrifice to appease the gods, eternal punishment for finite offences, and a 'big brother is watching you' mentality, then go right ahead. Just don't condemn the rest of us if we take the view that this kind of infant indoctrination is form of mental child abuse which should be kept out of public schools.

Do you happen to agree with David Paszkiewicz that it is OK to beat your children if they decide that your religion is not for them? Would you 'break their backside' if they came to such a decision? Is this the kind of thinking that is being encouraged in your local Baptist church? If so, it is a shameful thing, and I'm surprised that you don't feel ashamed as a parent to be involved with such an organisation.

It is not by attacking Christians that you are going to make a point. When nothing else works, attack the Christians! Good job!

"Guest," you wrote this in response to Bern's comment: "Very Christian of you." I don't read Bern's comment as an attack on Christians. I read it as an attack on hypocrisy. Bern seems to be pointing out that the behavior is not in keeping with Christian teachings.

Of course, I could be wrong, maybe Bern did intend to attack Christians generally, but that is not how I read it. Ask Bern what he/she intended, then you'll know.

vmunchie wrote:

If your 6 year old daughter was waiving around a self made sign which said 'Jesus saves', then it seems that you have done an effective job of brainwashing her at a very tender age to believe the same load of old superstitions that you were undoubtedly raised to believe. How is a six year old child supposed to make an informed judgement about the contents of an ancient 1300 page story book called the Bible? The answer is of course that she can't. 

It appears that Paszkiewicz has helped to brainwash you, and that you are simply perpetuating his methods with your children.

If that's what you want to do in your own home, then that's your business. However many of us non-Christian parents don't want that for our kids.

Many of us would prefer to teach our children to think for themselves, without imposing a bunch of ancient superstitions upon them long before they have developed the critical thinking skills neccesary to evaluate the accuracy the information that is being drummed into their tiny developing minds.

If you feel comfortable indoctrinating your children at such a tender age with concepts such as inherited sin, vicarious atonement, human sacrifice to appease the gods, eternal punishment for finite offences, and a 'big brother is watching you' mentality, then go right ahead. Just don't condemn the rest of us if we take the view that this kind of infant indoctrination is form of mental child abuse which should be kept out of public schools.

Do you happen to agree with David Paszkiewicz that it is OK to beat your children if they decide that your religion is not for them? Would you 'break their backside' if they came to such a decision? Is this the kind of thinking that is being encouraged in your local Baptist church? If so, it is a shameful thing, and I'm surprised that you don't feel ashamed as a parent to be involved with such an organisation.

My question is, why not finish the sentence? Jesus saves from what? You'll see a deep divide within Christianity about the answer.

You won't see a divide in Mr. Paszkiewicz's church, I suspect, but what you will see is an answer that will curdle your blood if you really think about it. It shocks me that people can't see how obvious it is that no morally superior, supreme being would do as Mr. Paszkiewicz believes. Not that Mr. P's answer is a surprise to anyone. We're all pretty much aware what it is. That doesn't mean we must agree with it. Which of your children would you be willing to suffer in eternal torment if you had the power to stop it?

That expresses a bit about my values and my concept of religion and the divine. People don't have to agree with me, but if we are to be a country that values each person's right to seek the divine in his own way, my right and everyone's right to do that free of state interference must be not only respected, but honored. That's why the state has no business meddling in religion.

It is not by attacking Christians that you are going to make a point. When nothing else works, attack the Christians! Good job!

Actually I'm a Church going Christian.

I not in the habit of announcing that but in this case I'm stating this in response to your post. I also don't sashay around town as a persecuted victim.

Guest Guest

Mr. Canessa,

Not sure what student popularity has to do with anything.

I am reminded of stories of attractive female teachers who bed their students. If I were back in high school, heck yeah I'd find her popular. Therefore, what such teachers did is OK?

Would you be as supportive if Mr. P were Jewish and said Jesus is not the Messiah?

I am endlessly curious.

My question is, why not finish the sentence?

"Jesus saves" is no more a fragment than "Spot runs."

Jesus saves from what? You'll see a deep divide within Christianity about the answer.

Universalism has never been an orthodox doctrine (in terms of mainstream Christianity).

You won't see a divide in Mr. Paszkiewicz's church, I suspect, but what you will see is an answer that will curdle your blood if you really think about it. It shocks me that people can't see how obvious it is that no morally superior, supreme being would do as Mr. Paszkiewicz believes.

Mostly likely, Paul, you haven't pondered the issue to any depth. Thinkers way better than you or me have thought about and written on the topic in depth. The arguments for the incompatibility of a loving god with an eternal hell are not easy to fashion without succumbing to fallacious argumentation (I know not one).

Not that Mr. P's answer is a surprise to anyone. We're all pretty much aware what it is. That doesn't mean we must agree with it. Which of your children would you be willing to suffer in eternal torment if you had the power to stop it?

Which parent is perfectly just?

Paszkiewicz nailed it. Why you can't see the problem his answer poses for your argument should come as a shock to all. ;)

That expresses a bit about my values and my concept of religion and the divine. People don't have to agree with me, but if we are to be a country that values each person's right to seek the divine in his own way, my right and everyone's right to do that free of state interference must be not only respected, but honored.

The Ba'al worshipers are delighted to hear you say that. They have sons and daughters to burn.

That's why the state has no business meddling in religion.

No state can avoid meddling in religion.

Edited by Bryan