"Bill to ban political opinions in classes"

Bryan

I found this interesting in light of the complaints against Mr. Paszkiewicz.

Classrooms should not be forums for schoolteachers and college professors to espouse political opinions, a group of lawmakers concluded Thursday.

A proposed law would prohibit any instructor in a public school or college from advocating or opposing a political candidate or one side of a social, political or cultural issue that is part of a partisan debate.

The Arizona Republic

Arizona's ACLU has come out against the law, as I understand it.

Perhaps based on the complaint that the legislation is too broad. I have yet to locate an ACLU statement on the issue.

Classrooms should not be forums for schoolteachers and college professors to espouse political opinions, a group of lawmakers concluded Thursday.

A proposed law would prohibit any instructor in a public school or college from advocating or opposing a political candidate or one side of a social, political or cultural issue that is part of a partisan debate.

The Arizona Republic

Perhaps based on the complaint that the legislation is too broad.  I have yet to locate an ACLU statement on the issue.

And how is this relevant to the religious (read: not political) preaching? Or the blatantly false statements about established scientific theories?

Guest PatriciaHauntz

The Arizona Republic

Perhaps based on the complaint that the legislation is too broad.  I have yet to locate an ACLU statement on the issue.

I agree but the big question to me is, Did the student violate the teachers civil right to self incrimination? The anti SLAPP statute could be mute here. Who validated these tape recordings? Discovery is a wonderful thing and I am sure what ever computer was used to put these recordings on the web will be scruntinized for all of its content. There is nothing worse then when an innocent individual is mentally destroyed and publicly shunned from society by lawyers during high stake president setting legal case's.

Guest Guest

The Arizona Republic

Hmmm... In my view, there is a difference between religious beliefs and political opinions.

Perhaps to Bryan there is not. That might explain the Bush worshipping I see.

And how is this relevant to the religious (read: not political) preaching? Or the blatantly false statements about established scientific theories?

It's intended to be potentially relevant to the complaints about Paszkiewicz expressing his political opinions.

I thought some might be interested because of that parallel.

But if you're just interested in disagreeing over absolutely anything, Strife, I'll see you in any one of dozens of threads.

Hmmm...  In my view, there is a difference between religious beliefs and political opinions.

Perhaps to Bryan there is not.

What principle would you use to force government agencies to permit political opinions while disallowing "religious" opinions?

That might explain the Bush worshipping I see.

That's more likely explained by your Bush-hating glasses. That's about the only way simply defending Bush from some of the nutty charges from the left could count as "Bush worshipping."