Mayor Santos remains silent on BOE mismanagement.

Guest Time for Change

Guest Time for Change

The interesting thing that comes out of this total mismanagement of the Kearny School District by the CIFELLI-SHERRY, MACDONALD MAJORITY is that SANTOS has remained silent through out this WORSE FINANCIAL CRISIS IN THE HISTORY OF KEARNY. The Good old boy's and girls club has resisted being outspoken against their group with the exception of Mr Landi and Mr Konopka its Disgraceful that the MAYOR of this town as been absent and hasn't weighed in on the total collapse of our schools. I would assume the majority of the Town Council which includes you CAROL JEAN DOYLE and MAYOR SANTOS will continue in supporting FAILED LEADERSHIP and the Kearny School District will continue to decline and the FAMILY and FRIENDS NETWORK will be protected and preserved and in the end KEARNY'S LEGACY will be instead of inspiring our CHILDREN and TEACHER'S in this DECADE it will be remembered as a FAILED DECADE and as a result this current group of students were CHEATED of a quality education because of the actions taken by this CIFELLI-SHERRY, MACDONALD LED MAJORITY. Kearny has a chance to make real change. STAY INFORMED!!!!!! The choice is clear these people have failed education and don't deserve to be elected and new fresh blood is needed at this time to truly represent the STUDENTS, TEACHER,S and certainly the TAXPAYER,S of KEARNY!

Guest C'mon now...

The financial crisis started over 7 years ago, when Governor Christie took over and first cleaned out all of the money from all districts in NJ that was held in ... I can't remember the term but it was there in case of unexpected emergencies like a leaking roof, etc.. That same year he (CC) reduced the amount of funding to all public schools in NJ and then put the 2% cap on school budgets. Prior to that time, KBOE has never gone to cap on their budgets so there was never a lot of fat in the school budget. That hurt when the governor decided to rape and pillage local governments including school boards. Now this multimillion dollar hit with the Charter School has just added more financial problems.

I'm not saying that the current school board is the best we've ever had.  The KHS issue has been a problem for more than 10 years exacerbated by infighting among the last couple of boards.  Firing and hiring contractors and then having to pay off the fired ones has cost a fortune in time and money.  

Guest Options?

Who are you replacing them with and what are their plans to make Kearny Schools better? I don't always agree with this current board but at least they have tried to address some horrific issues left to them by previous boards! So please tell me who and how and I'll listen!!!! And again please no talking points!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:51 AM, Guest C'mon now... said:

The financial crisis started over 7 years ago, when Governor Christie took over and first cleaned out all of the money from all districts in NJ that was held in ... I can't remember the term but it was there in case of unexpected emergencies like a leaking roof, etc.. That same year he (CC) reduced the amount of funding to all public schools in NJ and then put the 2% cap on school budgets. Prior to that time, KBOE has never gone to cap on their budgets so there was never a lot of fat in the school budget. That hurt when the governor decided to rape and pillage local governments including school boards. Now this multimillion dollar hit with the Charter School has just added more financial problems.

I'm not saying that the current school board is the best we've ever had.  The KHS issue has been a problem for more than 10 years exacerbated by infighting among the last couple of boards.  Firing and hiring contractors and then having to pay off the fired ones has cost a fortune in time and money.  

Good explanation.  Agree with all of the above.  The Board is not responsible for the items in the first paragraph, but they , at least most of them, are certainly responsible for the items in the second paragraph

The Mayor has nothing to do with the Board of Education.  His nephew ran and won a seat and got so frustrated with the politics that he stopped going to meetings.  Any good person who doesn't have family and friends on the payroll cannot survive on the Board of Education.  It is corruption just like Christie not knowing of the bridge closing.  Why hasn't he been indicted?  It's time for every corrupt politican to be indicted.  This is why Trump is making headway even though he's a nut.

The problems you speak of don't have much to do with the mayor, but with the state. They only let the town hire so many cops, and Kearny is still working under what they need. So you can thank Christie for that.

Guest KPD Retired
On 10/20/2016 at 8:33 AM, Guest Guest said:

The problems you speak of don't have much to do with the mayor, but with the state. They only let the town hire so many cops, and Kearny is still working under what they need. So you can thank Christie for that.

1. No, the State doesnt dictate hiring to Kearny, other than killing the residency requirement.   The PD has been under its Table of Organization for a number of yeast, mainly because from 1986-1990 there were a LOT of people hired in anticipation of retirements.  Now the Mayor and Council won't authorize replacement of anyone until they are off the books....even though new hires for all practical purposes don't exist in the TO for almost 9 months after hiring  (6 months Academy, and 8-12 weeks of FTO).  KPD has had literally dozens of retirement in the past 5 years, of all ranks. With the hiring  policies, it takes time to make it back up to full strength. 

Guest An Angry Taxpayer
On 10/17/2016 at 6:51 AM, Guest C'mon now... said:

What a cop out but I know the MAYOR wants for you to forget when CHRISTIE came to KEARNY to do an interview with Diane Sawyer of ABC it was stated in the Observer is Kearny a friend to the Governor and the answer was yes so don't sell me that it was CHRISTIE'S fault because the MAJORITY OF THE BLAME is KEARNY GOVERMENT as a whole with the MAYOR as the number 1 leader of the town refusing to weigh in on the total mismanagement of the Kearny School District. Mayor you should be ashamed of yourself for failing to voice your opinion on a very important issue which impact property taxes in a already overtaxed community which you indirectly oversee and will in the end have to answer for to the TAXPAYER. Remember the 10 POINT PLAN the Mayor proposed when he ran in the beginning and how and how all of it political window dressing just to get elected. So public don;t be fooled he played into the CHRISTIE PLAYBOOK and sucked up to the GOVERNOR and now that he has a 21 percent approval rating its a good time to change the narrative away from you friends CIFELLI-SHERRY and MACDONALD who were part of the worst financial crisis in the HISTORY of KEARNY. After this election MAYOR no more free lunch for you get ready YOUR NEXT!!!!!!

The mayor has influence in the board of education, just like any other town mayor does.  In reality Kearny can hire part-time cops with *no benefits, hourly pay, no pension*

The mayor can negotiate a contract with union to have cops start a lower salary.

• 2 weeks later...