Charter School

Guest Concerned Parent

Guest Concerned Parent

Kearny is about to open it's first charter school. The school is located on Midland Avenue. There will be students from Kearny  attending this school.

Here is my concern. We know nothing about the owner of this school. Who makes up the board of trustees? Are there Kearny people on the board.

The school will take money from the district as tuition for each Kearny student enrolled. That's right, taxpayer money and the taxpayer has nothing to say about how it is used.

The school is located in a building that the Kearny BOE said needed a great of work for it to be up to code. Yet,  you don't see any work being done. Not even the sign outside the building has be changed.

I understand most parents are enrolling their children because the school offers after school care. Who runs the program? Is it an educational program or just a babysitter service?

If that's the only reason parent's need this school. Then the Kearny BOE should discuss this topic again.

It will cost the school district nearly 2 million dollars in tuition  for the charter school. 

This school needs to be watched.

To ensure our students are getting a good sound education by qualified teachers.

To the parents of the charter school students. I hope you gave this real thought. I know your did. You want the best for your children. But, if it doesn't  work out know you are always at home in Kearny Public Schools. Good luck to all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Parent

I can tell you that I am sending my child to the Charter School because, the Kearny schools have gone down so much over the years that there is no improvement coming any time soon. The High School is a mess. And the BOE just keeps saying Its a work in progress. But we never see anything change. They are doing right by their friends and family. But the rest of the town gets nothing. I am glad that the parents have a choice. To say that my child is welcome back in the  KEARNY School system if the Charter School doesn't work out. I pay taxes. I can come back with out your blessing. And also, if the BOE  is so worried about the building the kids will be IN. Let's talk about the KHS!!! So please stop the B/S.

Guest Parent

Thank God the Charter school is in Kearny. The kids have a chance to a good education. BOE has gone to shit. The KHS IS A MESS. and they have no problem letting our kids walk into that building everyday. They had to have lights at FRANKLIN. But the High School can fall apart. I am sure the Charter School is doing what is needed to Open. Or the Town wouldn't let it have students and staff there. But thanks for the concern.NOT!

Guest guest

After seeing what this BOE has done to our towns schools, I will take my chances with the charter school. And I am sure there are laws they have to follow. And I can't see the school being any worse than KHS. And our kids have been in that shit hole for years. And the money is going toward education. No going toward something the kids don't need, like lights!

Guest guest

Wow, which BOE member is this. Don't worry the parents and their children will be just fine at the new school. We have seen the progress. And the staff seem to be just as hard working and caring as Kearny teachers are. Why not try working together? Instead of tearing them apart. Remember its about what's best for the kids!

Guest Wondering

Of course the children will be welcomed back into the Kearny elementary schools should they change their minds about the charter school just as children who go to parochial school are or children who move in and out of Kearny.

I need to point out that the angry comments are about the condition of KHS - not the elementary or middle schools.

Also, I'm not reading criticism of the eduction received in any of the schools, elementary, middle, or high school. 

Parents do realize that the charter school will only go up to fifth grade, don't they?  From reading their charter (not their advertising) I discovered that they plan to add more grades in the future, but can't until their charter is up for renewal in three years. So the children go there in the middle elementary grades, no matter how wonderful an education they receive there (honestly, I'm a skeptic) will have to return for middle school and probably 6th grade. 

I wish those children, as I have for all of the school children of Kearny - including my own - the best educational experience available to them. God bless and watch over all the children of Kearny regardless of their school choice, public, charter, parochial, home schooling...

Guest Guest

I find it amazing that people jump to conclusions.  Concerned  Parent did not say the students  from the Charter School could not come back to their respective schools. What was said was "they will always be at home".

We all know how people are when something new is tried and does not work out.

People love to throw it in the face.

But, not in the Kearny Schools.

Great Parents, Great Students.

Concerned  Parent, Thank you for being  a true neighbor.

To the angry TAXPAYERS,f Do you just complain behind the keyboard or do you attend meetings and find out what really is happening? 

Guest Guest

This Charter School only goes up to 5th grade, so forget the middle school and high school.  It has a limited number of spots and the children who sign up are chosen by lottery at random (it is NOT selective), so you can't necessarily just sign up and attend.  There are no salary caps on administration, so I'm not sure who overlooks the taxpayers money when it comes to administrators.  The information I have regarding the school was written on an earlier post on this website and would need to be verified and checked out.  The name of the company running the school is New Jersey Arts and Science Charter Schools.  Mr. Nihat Guvercin is the CEO of the company.  This company is part of a Turkish organization with charter schools in many States and with a connection to a certain religious group in Turkey and that some of the money received by them from the taxpayers go to hiring Turkish businesses and Turkish employees.  Also note that many Charters have been accused of manipulating test scores, grades and even the lottery of students attending.  This particular school located in the old Mater Dei (St. Stephen's School) building is open to children from both Kearny and Jersey City.  The taxpayers of Kearny, of course, will only pay the tuition of the students living in Kearny; Jersey City will have to take care of its own.  Remember this is paid for by the taxpayers, but run by a private business. 

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: The information above has not been verified.

Guest Guest

This is not the only charter school that the Kearny BOE has to send money to, it is only the largest one.  Kearny residents have been sending their children to a number of out of town charter schools for years, and tax money from Kearny is sent to those charters.  So, why isn't anyone questioning those schools?  I think there is a lot of hype and exaggeration being passed around and it wouldn't surprise me one bit that it is the current BOE and their cronies that are doing it.  From what I have read, the charter school coming here is a very well run school and business.  They seem to be getting the job done, and they seem to get involved with the communities where they are, and they have 9 schools is different communities.  It's a positive thing for education in Kearny as it will give some competition to our current school system and may make them work harder to improve.  For those playing the religion card, remember that charters are public schools and religion is not allowed to be part of their program.

The current school administration that is complaining about the charter school is the same that had the opportunity to lease the Mater Dei building several years ago.  They passed on the building because it would supposedly cost too much to renovate, so now they are paying anyway.  Another poor decision coming back to haunt them, so they shouldn't look any further then themselves when they have to make cuts to balance the budget.

Guest Just wondering

Can you name the out of town charter schools which accept Kearny students?  Charter Schools are, indeed, publicly funded schools (however, privately run) and are not allowed to TEACH religion.  For my own edification, why would anyone go to the trouble and work of running a school, when there is no profit in it for them?

Guest Guest
17 hours ago, Guest Just wondering said:

Can you name the out of town charter schools which accept Kearny students?  Charter Schools are, indeed, publicly funded schools (however, privately run) and are not allowed to TEACH religion.  For my own edification, why would anyone go to the trouble and work of running a school, when there is no profit in it for them?

From the July 27, 2015 BOE minutes:

A. CHARTER SCHOOL FUNDING
The Kearny Board of Education hereby approves the funding year 2015-2016 State Charter School Aid based on the Projected Enrollment Count District Summary in the annual amount of $21,249.00.
Great Oaks Charter School ........................ $ 13,687.00
University Heights Charter School ................. 7,562.00

Guest Guest

The charter school in Kearny has registered students from the following towns:  Harrison, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, North Bergen, Guttenberg, New Milford, Garfield, East Newark, Belleville, Newark, and of course, Jersey City

There is money to be made from Charter Schools. In the way of tax credits. The New Markets Tax Credit was signed into law 2000.

It gives investors a 39% tax credit for their investment. Real Estate investors do better when investing.

Read more about the New Markets Tax Credit.

How many schools does this company operate?

Yes, there is money to be made.

Guest So what
10 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

There is money to be made from Charter Schools. In the way of tax credits. The New Markets Tax Credit was signed into law 2000.

It gives investors a 39% tax credit for their investment. Real Estate investors do better when investing.

If the charter school does a better job at educating the students that attend than the public schools they left for the same cost to the tax payer, good for them if they can make some money as well.  And THAT is the real reason the boe and unions hate them, they prove that quality education can be delivered at a much lower cost than some of the standard public schools do.  

Guest Let's be honest
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, Guest Guest said:

From the July 27, 2015 BOE minutes:

A. CHARTER SCHOOL FUNDING
The Kearny Board of Education hereby approves the funding year 2015-2016 State Charter School Aid based on the Projected Enrollment Count District Summary in the annual amount of $21,249.00.
Great Oaks Charter School ........................ $ 13,687.00
University Heights Charter School ................. 7,562.00

Come on!  This represents two students in the whole Kearny School District.  Both of these schools are located in Newark and you must be a resident of Newark to enroll.  If you move after you enroll, you are allowed to stay, as long as you report to them your new residence each year.

18 hours ago, Guest So what said:

If the charter school does a better job at educating the students that attend than the public schools they left for the same cost to the tax payer, good for them if they can make some money as well.  And THAT is the real reason the boe and unions hate them, they prove that quality education can be delivered at a much lower cost than some of the standard public schools do.  

Who says they do a better job?  If the publicly run public schools were not required to obey the hundreds of regulations the State Dept. of Education requires, such as keeping students who academically fail, or even worse, not allowing them to expel undisciplined and disruptive students and only teach their best students, well guess what would happen?  (The Charters initially take everyone in the lottery and then weed them out little by little through time).  Educating our children is a public service, not a money-making scheme.  If our economy every recovers and there are jobs to be had, I'm sure the teachers in Charters, most of whom teach in sweat-shop conditions, will leave for greener pastures.

Guest Potential stockholder
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:39 AM, Guest Guest said:

You mean the public can buy stock in these Charter Schools?  That they are not funded by the taxpayers, like normal public schools?  Never heart of this!

Guest Charter, charter, charter
23 hours ago, Guest So what said:

That's the question - "if" - yes in communities like Newark, Paterson, Camden, Trenton, etc. charters can out perform traditional public schools.  Charter schools have the ability and opportunity to only teach and keep those that they foresee doing well on the mandatory state testing.  

At this point the new Charter opening in Kearny has accepted somewhere in the area of 300 students at all levels and learning abilities from K - 5.  There is a very important report that all schools fill out that is due by and therefore called "the October 15th report."  It is on that date that school funding is determined.  The students that are attending a particular school as of October 15th are funded in the school they are attending as of that day.  If on October 16, a student moves to another school, another town, the funding doesn't follow him, it stays with the school that reported him on October 15th.  (Taking the Charter out of the picture, if a student attends Harrison High School on October 15, but moves into a new apartment in Kearny and starts to attend Kearny High on November 1st, Kearny doesn't get any funding for that student, Harrison keeps it even though the student only attended Harrison High for two months.)  

Now, if the Charter decides that Jr. isn't meeting their standards, Jr. will be told to leave.  Guess what?  There is no BOE meeting that you can attend where you can have the principal forced to take Jr. back - they don't have to.  However, Kearny public elementary schools will have to take Jr. back no questions asked - and remember Jr.'s funding has gone to the Charter.  

Those 300 kids that have left the traditional public schools in Kearny - well they resulted in the closure of quite a few classrooms and elevated class sizes in the elementary schools in Kearny.  Now, Jr. who may have been in a 2nd grade class with 18 students in it may return to a 3rd grade class that started out in September with 25 students and with the addition of Jr. now is at 26 and the numbers can go up from there.  Remember - can't open another section because the Charter has Jr.'s funding.

Going back to the beginning - any school that can pick and choose who they accept and who they keep will do better than a school without that privilege.  That is why Charters often out perform in very urban, poor communities.  I personally, don't foresee a great difference in the scores and performance between the Charter and our traditional public schools in Kearny because we have fantastic teachers, fantastic students, and fantastic families that support our schools.

Someone pointed out in an earlier post that the charter school student selection is by lottery, not selective.  It is not a magnet school looking to provide better education to the gifted.    If the parents of students in kearny schools had more confidence in the system they would not have moved their children to the charter.  The boe should figure out which elementary schools in kearny lost the most students to the charter and then take a real close look at the teacher and admin in that school.

Guest B.O.E.

The Charter school is a wonderful opportunity for the residents of Kearny to showcase their desire for racial diversity, religious diversity and helping low income families. The acceptance of a student should be based on: 1) Family income 2) African Americans, Hispanics, and other ethnic groups should be first in line 3) Undocumented immigrants and Muslims should be at least 1/3 of the student body. The Kearny Council, B.O.E., Firefighters and other municipal employees are using white privilege to rig the system. Kearny can be a beautiful mosaic of racial, religious and undocumented dreamer equality. A small property tax increase wouldn't hurt to accomplish this goal.

So glad to see someone educating the general public regarding the specifics surrounding charter schools.  All I can say about charter schools is that someone (the CEO of iSchools, the Department of Ed) must be making a nice chunk of change out of "education", since isn't that always the bottom line for everything?

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Someone pointed out in an earlier post that the charter school student selection is by lottery, not selective.  It is not a magnet school looking to provide better education to the gifted.    If the parents of students in kearny schools had more confidence in the system they would not have moved their children to the charter.  The boe should figure out which elementary schools in kearny lost the most students to the charter and then take a real close look at the teacher and admin in that school.

Not necessarily - many of the families that applied/were accepted were from the original Lincoln school elementary district.  Those families were the most affected by the redistricting plan.  The St. Stephen's/Mater Dei/ Charter school property falls right in the middle of that neighborhood. There are also other families that due to redistricting were moved to schools that are inconvenient to them for other reasons.  The Charter will have a longer day and will provide before and after care - something desperately needed for Kearny families today. That is one thing they will have up on KPS.  

As much as many nay-sayers would like to pretend that these children are escaping a terrible school system (they aren't) most that I have spoken to are going to an opportunity (before and after care, something different) that Kearny has not moved on for these families.

Charter school admission is by lottery - but whether the Charter decides to keep a student or not is selective.  Students can be told to leave with the excuse that they child isn't meeting standards/requirements/whatever.  And my money says that none of those who are "dismissed" will be dismissed after the October 15th report is filed (see above.)

And, yet, Kearny elementary schools will (have no choice but to) welcome those families back and provide them with a solid education.

On 8/9/2016 at 6:36 PM, Guest Guest said:

The charter school in Kearny has registered students from the following towns:  Harrison, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, North Bergen, Guttenberg, New Milford, Garfield, East Newark, Belleville, Newark, and of course, Jersey City

I'm curious - where did you get this information?  I understood that the students were to be from Kearny (majority) and Jersey City (still haven't figured that one out) with a small (10%?) of slots for students from other areas.  I'm not doubting you, I just like to have the correct information.

Information was provided by the Department of Education.  And it's true that the majority are from Kearny.  Only a handful from Jersey City and approximately 35 students from the other locations as listed.  The information can be obtained through an OPRA request.  

On August 13, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Guest Charter, charter, charter said:

Not necessarily - many of the families that applied/were accepted were from the original Lincoln school elementary district.  Those families were the most affected by the redistricting plan.  The St. Stephen's/Mater Dei/ Charter school property falls right in the middle of that neighborhood. There are also other families that due to redistricting were moved to schools that are inconvenient to them for other reasons.  The Charter will have a longer day and will provide before and after care - something desperately needed for Kearny families today. That is one thing they will have up on KPS.  

As much as many nay-sayers would like to pretend that these children are escaping a terrible school system (they aren't) most that I have spoken to are going to an opportunity (before and after care, something different) that Kearny has not moved on for these families.

Charter school admission is by lottery - but whether the Charter decides to keep a student or not is selective.  Students can be told to leave with the excuse that they child isn't meeting standards/requirements/whatever.  And my money says that none of those who are "dismissed" will be dismissed after the October 15th report is filed (see above.)

And, yet, Kearny elementary schools will (have no choice but to) welcome those families back and provide them with a solid education.

If the parents of grammer school students dont want their kids to have a long walk to school, good for them for signing up for a neighborhood school.  If the boe didnt want to spend the money to buy that building they will now get to sent money to the school that was there.  Dont blame the charter school, blame the short sighted boe.