BOE Members Stand United for Family & Friends

Guest Against Cifelli-Sherry

If you witnessed the SHAM of BOE MEMBERS  standing united behind their fearless leader BARBARA CIFELLI- SHERRY who believes that the loudest MOUTH  in the room prevails in an open forum at a TOWN COUNCIL MEETING. NOT!!!!!!!! Mr Landy and Mr Konopka should be commended for bringing attention to the total mismanagement of the Kearny School District and the fact, and it is a fact that this Board's interests are strictly preserving their personal interests at the expense of Hard working Taxpayers. Look at the Board Members that attended that council meeting and look at their personal interests and the family that work in the schools. The little network of family and friends have already started the bashing of Landy and Konpoka for not falling in line with the program and as usual good people get discredited by a bad group that thrives on POWER and will do anything to preserve their FAMILY and FRIENDS NETWORK. The real reality is KEARNY is in TROUBLE and people can't afford to have these BOARD MEMBERS give a huge School Tax Increase because of their mismanagement. We are paying for failed leadership and Council Members voicing their displeasure only starts the discussion on changes to this Adminstration and Board of Education. This Town is primed for change all it takes are good people with pure intentions to step up and take control of this problem and make our Schools the shining star once again in our Community. As for CIFELLI-SHERRY keep talking at these meetings the more you talk the worse it gets for you dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kearny Taxpayer
On 6/25/2016 at 3:20 PM, Guest Guest said:

Kearny will never change.  Get out, move to a town with a highly rates school system, and never look back! 

The fact that Mr.Landy and Mr. Konopka are talking about the high school is shocking. We have not heard a word from them since their election.

If the councilmen had questions about the high school why didn't they come and ask questions of the board.

If they didn't get answer they needed then take it to the newspaper.

Mr. Landy seems to speak up at the wrong time. Completely out of order when he spoke at the council meeting  against Councilwoman DeCastro.

This board is correcting the faults  of previous boards. Yes, there are members that are still on the board when this project started. This board has done everything to move this project forward.  Including keeping the mayor and council up to date.

Elected officials need to respect each other.  This back biting just hurts our students and the taxpayer.

On June 25, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Guest Guest said:

Kearny will never change.  Get out, move to a town with a highly rates school system, and never look back! 

Hmmm...highly rates school system. What does that mean?

Guest watching Parent

*** ******, what you did to Mr Landy's daughter was in very poor taste. You  showed us all what kind of person you really are. If you have beef with him, don't take it out on the child. Not very adult like. But than I guess you showed your true self. That night. Shame on you. LEAVE THE BOE WE DONT WANT THAT IN OUR TOWN. 

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Fed Up!

Highly school rated. Not in Kearny. Try a D is the best they get. But the BOE isn't worried about the kids or the future of children to come. It's all about how do they give another family member of *** ******'s a job. He will go from being a janitor, to a teacher. Don't feel bad for the 27 teachers who were in the system, they weren't related to anyone on the board.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Guest

yea, was there the night of graduation.she turned her back on the poor girl. Is this the kind of people we want on the BOE? They are suppose to be representing our town. I say get rid of them all. Remember these actions come November!

Guest guest

If this is true, than she should be let go. Very sad to see the woman who writes all these letters in the Observer about how they all have to be united. And than she does that to a child, she claims to be  So mature and doing tje right thing for our town.Shame on you, and the rest of the BOE for allowing her to act this way. They all need to go! 

Guest guest

I wasn't at Lincoln School but attened the KHS graduation, and it was no better.Only it was *****'s family being low class. They thought it was smart to attack a kid and than his ******* son jumped in.and an innocent by stander got hit in The face. Lucky for the ******. If that were my family they would have gone out in cuffs. And they are adults! They should know better. But than they have their great BOE attorney who will help them out. go to his gogo bar TWINS. You  will get a free drink and a lap dance. And he will bill the BOE for work hours. Sorry I mean the tax payers. This band of misfits need to be removed ASAP!

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda

I am Barbara Cifelli-Sherry's daughter and I am not hiding behind a nameless banner, as many of the previous posters have done! It is very easy to hide behind your veil of anonymity and sling accusations, but that does not make your words true! This message is to "Watching Parent" and "Guest" regarding what my mother purportedly "did" to Mr. Landy's daughter. Let me set the scene for those that have no idea of the situation to which they allude: There were 4 BOE members that would be handing out almost 450 diplomas. Two would be giving out the girl's diplomas, and the other two would hand out the boy's. They had decided in advance that the L's would be a logical place to switch board members, as it seemed to be in the middle of the list, and because my mother's partner had a niece to whom he wanted to present the diploma. (As a note, there were more girls than boys graduating, so the two sides did not happen to switch Board members at the same time.) As the time approached, Mr. Hill signaled my mother that it was time to switch. While my mother has known the Landy family for many years, she did not know that Mike's daughter was graduating; would not have recognized her after many years of not seeing her; and had absolutely no idea that her name was the next to be called. It was not until she was returning to her seat that she heard the name and wondered if this could be Mr. Landy's daughter. You don't know my mother, but I do! She has raised 7 children, has 14 grandchildren and her fifth great-grandchild on the way. There is NO way, that she would intentionally do something to hurt or embarrass that child because of some difference of opinion between she and Mr. Landy. That is so beneath how she conducts herself, and if you know her at all, you already know that.  My mother is very proud of the reputation that she has built in this town over the years, helping many people in the process. It is disheartening to see the type of dramatic BS that gets posted when there is no accountability required! 

Guest nameless
16 hours ago, Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda said:

I am Barbara Cifelli-Sherry's daughter and I am not hiding behind a nameless banner, as many of the previous posters have done! It is very easy to hide behind your veil of anonymity and sling accusations, but that does not make your words true! This message is to "Watching Parent" and "Guest" regarding what my mother purportedly "did" to Mr. Landy's daughter. Let me set the scene for those that have no idea of the situation to which they allude: There were 4 BOE members that would be handing out almost 450 diplomas. Two would be giving out the girl's diplomas, and the other two would hand out the boy's. They had decided in advance that the L's would be a logical place to switch board members, as it seemed to be in the middle of the list, and because my mother's partner had a niece to whom he wanted to present the diploma. (As a note, there were more girls than boys graduating, so the two sides did not happen to switch Board members at the same time.) As the time approached, Mr. Hill signaled my mother that it was time to switch. While my mother has known the Landy family for many years, she did not know that Mike's daughter was graduating; would not have recognized her after many years of not seeing her; and had absolutely no idea that her name was the next to be called. It was not until she was returning to her seat that she heard the name and wondered if this could be Mr. Landy's daughter. You don't know my mother, but I do! She has raised 7 children, has 14 grandchildren and her fifth great-grandchild on the way. There is NO way, that she would intentionally do something to hurt or embarrass that child because of some difference of opinion between she and Mr. Landy. That is so beneath how she conducts herself, and if you know her at all, you already know that.  My mother is very proud of the reputation that she has built in this town over the years, helping many people in the process. It is disheartening to see the type of dramatic BS that gets posted when there is no accountability required! 

It's amazing how when one of the "untouchables" are called out on something the "how dare you" mentality kicks in. As if she and he cohorts are SO above doing anything like this. She and her tribe love to bash people and events that have occurred on an open forum and through media, with no truth or facts, just her "opinion", but force it onto the public as if it is gospel.  Oh, and it is a wonderful thing to be a mother and a grandmother, but really, OMG, it has nothing to do with anything ! How funny.  

Your last line regarding, "it is disheartening to see the type of dramatic BS that gets posted when there is no accountability required !", is really a very hypocritical statement. You say you know your mother....does she suffer from Bipolar disorder? because what she puts in the paper and on this forum is really not what happens behind closed doors. In closing you state how the graduation act she is accused of is "so beneath" her, but you have to accept that she is also "not above" others and is subject to the SAME challenges and statements made on this forum and elsewhere that other have faced and continue to face.

Guest Lori Harris

Good for you, Lori Kyak Castaneda, for defending your mother's reputation and calling out the cowardice behind anonymous posters. It's fine to have different points of view and disagreements, but attacking someone's character and hiding behind your keyboard is inappropriate and immature.  Anyone who knows your mother would NEVER believe her to be petty or unkind - especially to a child! (And those who don't know her should refrain from commenting!) 

18 hours ago, Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda said:

I admire you for defending your Mother but respectfully disagree with you on what happened and that your mother has helped many people. In observing her tenure as a Council Member and School Board Member it seems your family has benefited the most in her service which I would assume (including yourself). This is no BS IT IS A FACT look at all the family that are employed in the public sector and the power that it has to place family in jobs. Your Mother isn't the only one this Board of Education is a runaway train with a family and friends network that has destroyed the fiber of the Kearny Schools. The reason for being nameless is the ruthless spin control that the family and friends network implores to discredit good people and change the discussion in hiding what they have done in using their positions in helping family and friends. In closing you as a teacher can't be blind to the fact that this BOE including your Mother have totally dropped the ball in running our Schools and it will take years to fix the mess they created and with a $200 plus tax increase on the way Kearny is in deep trouble the result being FAILED LEADERSHIP and reckless spending resulting in HIGHER TAXES and LESS SERVICES in educating the most important resource we have " OUR CHILDREN"  

Guest Tears

Oh sure, it was just a coincidence!  We all believe that one, and while you're are it why don't you try to sell us the Brooklyn Bridge!  What's the matter, your mother forget how to write?  She seems to be very good at starting a fight, but I guess the Sherry's have pretty thin skin!  Your Mother and Landy had a very public arguement over the construction and your Mother acted like a child, plain and simple.  So go and cry a river that someone here is insulting you but remember that the list of those insulted by your family is much longer and they have long memories.

Guest Enough Already.

Was at the Greeks, and heard that one of the fab five just saved the tax payers a boat load of money, from another BOE law suit because they can't keep their mouth shut. So thank you who ever you are. Glad to know that there are people who want to do right by the people of Kearny. And its not like the BOE misfits would ever let it be known at a meeting. Because that would tell the tax payers they don't know what they are doing! So keep eating and we will keep listening.LOL

Guest Guest

All this complaining about the boe and town gvt in general is valid but so neurotic.  Things wont change in the town, its been heading down for decades.   rather than getting frustrated with all the complaining just MOVE!   look how many employees or the schools and other town employees are out of here! They know something. 

Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda

I could spend all day responding to the untruths and innuendo in the previous statements, but alas, I have a life and this will be my last post on this forum. But before I go, a few points: 

1. As for Mr. Landy being commended for uncovering the "mismanagement" of the school district, the only thing uncovered was Mr. Landy's personal agenda. One has only to read the minutes of the Town Council meeting to learn what his real beef is. It has less to do with the current construction project, and everything to do with a dissatisfaction with a personnel issue within the Kearny School District years ago, when my mother was merely a candidate. Although Mr. Konopka originated this discussion, much to his credit, he has not become embroiled in the personal undercurrent. He has since met with the board and the plant operations manager to understand more fully the complexity of the construction project.
  2. While conspiracy theory makes for good cinema, one would have to believe that there were many others involved in the "Great Graduation Snub" for it to have come off without a hitch. Once she realized that Mr. Landy's daughter was one of the 440+ graduates, she would have to have memorized the roster previous to the L's to know exactly when to step out, get the Lincoln Middle School administration, the superintendent, and the other board members in cahoots to ensure that she was sitting on the girl's side of the dais, in the proper seat to be giving out the first set of diplomas, and to cut off the list at just the right place as to not give out that particular diploma. If you believe all of that, I do have a bridge to sell you! Were she as calculating and selfish as you say, why would she put herself in a position that would open her to such scrutiny? If she really wanted to be spiteful and vindictive, she could have made sure to insert herself into the Landy family photos of the event. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence!
  3. Apparently, the same rules don't apply to everyone's family. While some families are off limits, it seems to be open season on mine, calling into question the circumstances of my employment, as well as that of my children (son and daughter-in-law)! We were all hired long before my mother became a board member. This is my 20th year in the Kearny School District. I was hired as a full-time teacher after serving as a long-term substitute for over a year. I have been named Lincoln School Teacher of the Year, have received exceptional yearly evaluations, taken countless classes and workshops to better my teaching, and am one of the few teachers in the district to have attained my Masters in Middle School Mathematics Education. I am proud of my accomplishments, and you have called into question how I got, and how I've kept my job over the years. Has my mother helped me in my career? Of course! I am a strong and determined woman because of her. I didn't need any strings to be pulled to get to where I am today. All that aside, I was born and raised in Kearny; went through the public schools here; raised my family and own a home here. I am invested in this community! Does the fact that my family has been in public service to our community for generations, preclude me from seeking employment in, and giving back to, the town I call home? (I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation!)

So, the few of you, under various pseudonyms, go ahead and have your fun. LKC out! (mic drop...pun intended!)

Guest guest

Don't let ***** find out that BOE employees are talking outside the office. She will have you fired. She doesn't like rats in her office. Just ask the people at the high school. If you talk, you get your walking papers. And even worse, she won't let you go out for lunch anymore. We all know she doesn't mind a sinking ship. But she won't have rats when it goes down.LOL

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest BOE Spokesperson
8 hours ago, Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda said:

I could spend all day responding to the untruths and innuendo in the previous statements, but alas, I have a life and this will be my last post on this forum. But before I go, a few points: 

1. As for Mr. Landy being commended for uncovering the "mismanagement" of the school district, the only thing uncovered was Mr. Landy's personal agenda. One has only to read the minutes of the Town Council meeting to learn what his real beef is. It has less to do with the current construction project, and everything to do with a dissatisfaction with a personnel issue within the Kearny School District years ago, when my mother was merely a candidate. Although Mr. Konopka originated this discussion, much to his credit, he has not become embroiled in the personal undercurrent. He has since met with the board and the plant operations manager to understand more fully the complexity of the construction project.
  2. While conspiracy theory makes for good cinema, one would have to believe that there were many others involved in the "Great Graduation Snub" for it to have come off without a hitch. Once she realized that Mr. Landy's daughter was one of the 440+ graduates, she would have to have memorized the roster previous to the L's to know exactly when to step out, get the Lincoln Middle School administration, the superintendent, and the other board members in cahoots to ensure that she was sitting on the girl's side of the dais, in the proper seat to be giving out the first set of diplomas, and to cut off the list at just the right place as to not give out that particular diploma. If you believe all of that, I do have a bridge to sell you! Were she as calculating and selfish as you say, why would she put herself in a position that would open her to such scrutiny? If she really wanted to be spiteful and vindictive, she could have made sure to insert herself into the Landy family photos of the event. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence!
  3. Apparently, the same rules don't apply to everyone's family. While some families are off limits, it seems to be open season on mine, calling into question the circumstances of my employment, as well as that of my children (son and daughter-in-law)! We were all hired long before my mother became a board member. This is my 20th year in the Kearny School District. I was hired as a full-time teacher after serving as a long-term substitute for over a year. I have been named Lincoln School Teacher of the Year, have received exceptional yearly evaluations, taken countless classes and workshops to better my teaching, and am one of the few teachers in the district to have attained my Masters in Middle School Mathematics Education. I am proud of my accomplishments, and you have called into question how I got, and how I've kept my job over the years. Has my mother helped me in my career? Of course! I am a strong and determined woman because of her. I didn't need any strings to be pulled to get to where I am today. All that aside, I was born and raised in Kearny; went through the public schools here; raised my family and own a home here. I am invested in this community! Does the fact that my family has been in public service to our community for generations, preclude me from seeking employment in, and giving back to, the town I call home? (I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation!)

So, the few of you, under various pseudonyms, go ahead and have your fun. LKC out! (mic drop...pun intended!)

wow, you know more about the BOE than the Board !  You know about meetings of council members with the Board and with the Plant Operations Guy, hiring practices, how graduation is arranged with the Super and board members, you're amazing !  Your statement #3, I disagree and agree with. Let's get the agree part done with....the end of your statement in parenthesis, I agree 100%, that there are and were people in the same situation. That's about as much as I agree with. The start to middle is total BS and BTW, no need to pat yourself on the back. There is no family off limits, never has been, so thicken your skin. Many good people have endured FAR worse than what you think you're going through ! If you think that questioning the actions of your mother as a board member is "open season" than you really believe that your family is above criticism. 

The one good news you reported is that Mr. Konopka was informed about the construction project, and that he was given a full understanding of the "Complexity" of the project. This being the same project that your mother passes blame onto others before her, I guess it only became "complex" when she became a board member.

8 hours ago, Guest Lori Kyak Castaneda said:

Guest Guest

To Lori Kyak Castaneda:  You are this close to being as awesome as your mother.  Let the uninformed speak, since that is their right.  Let the disillusioned depart Kearny and head for either the Shore or North Carolina - no loss,  Here's your hat, what's your hurry!  I see your response not as a defense of your mother (mainly because she doesn't need defending) but just placing the facts on the table.  The very few instigators will never have their minds changed, so leave them be.  But you do your mother proud and have nothing more to explain.  Those of us who agree with you know the truth.  Those who don't, well, who really cares? Barbara Sherry has proved her integrity through years of public work.  And you have proved yourself to be the good daughter she raised.  Let it be.