Kearny Teachers

Guest Kearny Taxpayer

The Board should go back to the old way of offering raises. Whatever the percentage offered should be on each step of the salary guide, therefore each teacher would receive that percentage in their paycheck. That's the way they do it in the private sector. In the past the school employees also received health insurance benefits. Now they have to pay for much of it themselves. I repeat, non-union employees receive the full raise (whatever it is). How discriminatory is that!

The problem with this is that the amount (not percentage) is uneven. A teacher at the top of the scale will get a much larger amount then one lower on the steps. Although teachers should be compensated for their experience it creates a larger gap between the bottom and top. A blanket percentage increase is what got them into the position they are in. On a side note.....if Christie capped tax increases by 2% why are taxes in the area rising more then that? Is that political band standing?

The overwhelming majority of Kearny Teachers and Firefighters would never consider actually living in Kearny. They have little regard for the financial ruin they impose on the very people who pay their overinflated salaries and benefits. Residency should be considered as well as performance in determining raises. The Teachers and Firefighters race for 280W, the Parkway and Turnpike the minute they can get out. If they lived in Kearny they wouldn't need so much gas money.

Most of the teachers I know and I know many live in Kearny!!!!

These teachers always think there so smart but are really DUMMIES because its been said by many teachers that they voted for CHRISTIE in the first term. BOY did they get a surprise when he used you then turned around and screwed you all which is why you deserve everything that's coming to you. Don;t blame the Board of Education for why you can't get a good contract blame yourselves. I seen the signs myself "EDUCATORS FOR CHRISTIE" boy did that come back to bite you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's pretty much a lie no teachers that I know and I know a boat load of them ever supported Christie! Is this you JC still bitter after all this time?

Guest Where's the Money ?

The problem is in the past the Teachers were given very generous contract and as a result they broke the bank with the property taxes. A now they want more from a taxpayer that can't afford it BOTTOM LINE The Teachers got GREEDY and it has got to this point where they have to pay into their Health Care and the Board having to be restricted to a 2% cap has put them in a no win position in dealing with this union. So the blame is directly on past boards of education and the KEA for spending money like drunken sailors and now that the money isn't there anymore the teachers think this board has a blank check. Those days are over changing times mean their are more bad news to come. THAT YOU CAN BLAME ON CHRIS CHRISTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all depends whose people are getting the money. The Board had many blank checks for other bargaining units !

Guest angry taxpayer

Is it true the teachers are not talking to the BOE?

That a settlement is not in the near future.

If they won't talk to the board how do they expect to resolve this problem.

Guest taxpayer

I think as taxpayers there should more people at the meeting to object to the teachers not speaking with the board.

We heard from the teachers, now let's hear from the taxpayers who will pay this bill.

By the way, the longer there is no settlement it will cost the taxpayer more money

The problem with this is that the amount (not percentage) is uneven. A teacher at the top of the scale will get a much larger amount then one lower on the steps. Although teachers should be compensated for their experience it creates a larger gap between the bottom and top. A blanket percentage increase is what got them into the position they are in. On a side note.....if Christie capped tax increases by 2% why are taxes in the area rising more then that? Is that political band standing?

Of course, the more you earn, teacher or other employee, the higher actual amount you receive. That goes for everyone at the Board or anywhere else, not just teachers. The only absolutely fair way to give raises would be to put an across the board amount, say $1,000 one year and then the next time a straight percentage, on each step of the guide and move everyone up a step. However, the well-paid administrators and others would balk at the across the board amount. They want to keep their percentages so that the ratio between them and the next lower guy keeps getting wider and higher. Remember too, a higher salary to look forward to in the future, should be an incentive to the newer teachers.

Guest KPDRETIRED

Before you jump on the Teachers too much, find out what percentage of the BOE budget goes to salaries. The BOE budget is HALF of the Tax Bill, more than the Entire town Budget, since we also pay around 20% of the tax revenue to Hudson County. As with most things, Politicians love to get voters fired up over Employee costs.....while ignoring all OTHER spending.

Guest Kearny Citizen

The brave Firefighters, the dedicated Teachers, blah blah blah. It's crazy to think that the majority of Teachers and overwhelming majority of Firefighters live OUT OF TOWN because they cant afford to live in Kearny. The more reasonable opinion is that they Flock to the Jersey Shore and other towns because they are more affluent white areas than mixed bag Hudson County. What's the number of Kearny Teachers and Firefighters who actually live in Kearny? I won't hold my breathe waiting for the answer.

I see teachers with signs " No Contract, Still Working"

The teachers are still getting paid. And they are still getting their benefits.

Parents, come to the board meeting and voice your concern that a settlement must be reached.

Not true!

Negotiations have gone to arbitration due to the fact that both sides felt they couldn't come to agreement on issues.

Before you jump on the Teachers too much, find out what percentage of the BOE budget goes to salaries. The BOE budget is HALF of the Tax Bill, more than the Entire town Budget, since we also pay around 20% of the tax revenue to Hudson County. As with most things, Politicians love to get voters fired up over Employee costs.....while ignoring all OTHER spending.

True. Also, the 2 percent cap thing is on the whole BOE budget, not just on individual salaries, as they would lead you to believe.

I see teachers with signs " No Contract, Still Working"

The teachers are still getting paid. And they are still getting their benefits.

Parents, come to the board meeting and voice your concern that a settlement must be reached.

Are you suggesting that working teachers should not be paid or get any of their shrinking benefits? In the paper it stated that the unions which settled lost their traditional health insurance plan. Could that be a reason for the stalemate?

Guest Kearny Citizen

I neglected to mention the B.O.E. members and the administration cronies. The majority of them do not live in Kearny or intend on it in the future. It's the WE (the rich elite) will not mingle with THEM (the lowly residents and students) in everyday common surroundings mentality. How many high payed, non-Kearny property tax paying Teachers, school big shots and Firefighters live in Kearny? What's the percent of the total? Don't all answer at once. Hahaha!

Guest A LOYAL DEMOCRAT

That's pretty much a lie no teachers that I know and I know a boat load of them ever supported Christie! Is this you JC still bitter after all this time?

If what your saying is true then why did the KEA give no endorsement went Corzine ran for RE-ELECTION. That non endorsement SPEAKS VOLUMES check your past election history that is not a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If what your saying is true then why did the KEA give no endorsement went Corzine ran for RE-ELECTION. That non endorsement SPEAKS VOLUMES check your past election history that is not a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm so not endorsing one candidate means I'm supporting the other! MORON!!!!!

The KEA doesn't endorse ANY candidates ever - endorsements come from the NJEA PAC and the NJEA endorsed Corzine and later Buono.

Guest A LOYAL DEMOCRAT

CORRECTION THE NJEA

Guest A LOYAL DEMOCRAT

The KEA doesn't endorse ANY candidates ever - endorsements come from the NJEA PAC and the NJEA endorsed Corzine and later Buono.

Not true check your records your a teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They didn't support Corzine when he ran against CHRISTIE it gave no endorsement of any candidate.

they do their job. plain and simple. Why would it matter where they live. Are you saying that teachers and firemen shouldnt have the feedom to live where they want. Sounds kinda un-American. Your paying for a service.......period. You repeated this many times. I think you made your point. You feel public employees should live in town.....got it. Your a socalist and clearly are dealing with a personal esteem issues. Where do you work? Is it in town? You better not work in NYC and pay taxes with not only another city but also another state. That's how you sound by the way. Ever hear on incest. Keepin it Kearny are you.

Guest The Real Kearny Citizen

The brave Firefighters, the dedicated Teachers, blah blah blah. It's crazy to think that the majority of Teachers and overwhelming majority of Firefighters live OUT OF TOWN because they cant afford to live in Kearny. The more reasonable opinion is that they Flock to the Jersey Shore and other towns because they are more affluent white areas than mixed bag Hudson County. What's the number of Kearny Teachers and Firefighters who actually live in Kearny? I won't hold my breathe waiting for the answer.

Really! That is the most racist thing I have heard here. Many, if not most, of the teachers and firemen live in town. Furthermore to imply that people who have dedicated themselves to helping others are racist is a direct insult to their profession and the individual. Please do not generalize your own narrow minded views as if they are the views of others. You should be embarrassed to have said what you did. If I was your neighbor I would leave town. Your an embarrassment to me and your fellow townsmen.

Not true check your records your a teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They didn't support Corzine when he ran against CHRISTIE it gave no endorsement of any candidate.

Well, I don't need to check, contact the local KEA president, KEA does not endorse any candidates.

And BTW, it should be "you're a teacher...."

NJEA supported Corzine and then Buono in the past two governor's races.