Cifelli-Sherry Letter to the Editor shines light on her love of Kearny

Guest Observer Reader

Guest Observer Reader

The letter to the editor that was written by Barbara Cifelli-Sherry in this weeks Observer is high lighted by her love of Kearny. She should love Kearny because the Cifelli family has done very well for themselves and has been entrenched in the politics of this Town and County for many years. I believe it has been a spring board for many employment opportunities for many of her family members. That hasn't been the case for the many residents of Kearny who have found it necessary to move out of town because the high taxes that pay these family members salaries. I say this to Ms Cifelli-Sherry you should love Kearny because you have been blessed for the opportunities given to the several members of your family that have enjoyed the good fortune of a secure public sector job in Kearny. With unemployment still at a high level and property taxes going up every year I can see why people have a negative feeling about Kearny because the vast majority of the people in this community are fed up with the politics and the fact people being placed in positions because of who they know and the power they hold whether it be Mayor, Council, School Board Member it discourages people from staying in Kearny and when selfish intentions reflex in multiple hires it gives people a very good reason to have a bad opinion of Kearny. So Ms Cifelli-Sherry you keep loving Kearny because it has been very good for you and I have to say in my opinion the majority of people don't feel the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Sick of the whiners

The letter to the editor that was written by Barbara Cifelli-Sherry in this weeks Observer is high lighted by her love of Kearny. She should love Kearny because the Cifelli family has done very well for themselves and has been entrenched in the politics of this Town and County for many years. I believe it has been a spring board for many employment opportunities for many of her family members. That hasn't been the case for the many residents of Kearny who have found it necessary to move out of town because the high taxes that pay these family members salaries. I say this to Ms Cifelli-Sherry you should love Kearny because you have been blessed for the opportunities given to the several members of your family that have enjoyed the good fortune of a secure public sector job in Kearny. With unemployment still at a high level and property taxes going up every year I can see why people have a negative feeling about Kearny because the vast majority of the people in this community are fed up with the politics and the fact people being placed in positions because of who they know and the power they hold whether it be Mayor, Council, School Board Member it discourages people from staying in Kearny and when selfish intentions reflex in multiple hires it gives people a very good reason to have a bad opinion of Kearny. So Ms Cifelli-Sherry you keep loving Kearny because it has been very good for you and I have to say in my opinion the majority of people don't feel the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitter much? You on some kind of house arrest that's preventing your depature? Do everybody a favor and move. You're bashing Kearny and you're still here!

Guest Guest

Why did you listen Mrs. Sherry? You know you cannot be selective in your liberalism. Remember what Michael Douglas said as President Andrew Shepherd. "America isn't easy." The people who disagree with you about Kearny and feel the place they grew up has not changed for the better, share the same liberties as you. Freedom of speech being one. You cannot just endorse the freedoms of this great nation when you agree with them. You chose to share your views in a letter to the editor and others share to verbalize theirs. Are you suggesting they do not have that right because it is offensive to you? I grew up in Kearny and loved it! I also chose to leave because I do love the beach and I like living where most of my neighbors do speak the same language. I also like the warmer weather and lower taxes much better in a different state. I also feel sad whenever I go back to Kearny. I think the town is shot to hell! You may think that makes me a basher but I think your views are a little slanted and out of touch with the reality. But we do share the same right to express ourselves. I suggest next time you exercise your freedom not to listen!

Guest Guest

Why did you listen Mrs. Sherry? You know you cannot be selective in your liberalism. Remember what Michael Douglas said as President Andrew Shepherd. "America isn't easy." The people who disagree with you about Kearny and feel the place they grew up has not changed for the better, share the same liberties as you. Freedom of speech being one. You cannot just endorse the freedoms of this great nation when you agree with them. You chose to share your views in a letter to the editor and others share to verbalize theirs. Are you suggesting they do not have that right because it is offensive to you? I grew up in Kearny and loved it! I also chose to leave because I do love the beach and I like living where most of my neighbors do speak the same language. I also like the warmer weather and lower taxes much better in a different state. I also feel sad whenever I go back to Kearny. I think the town is shot to hell! You may think that makes me a basher but I think your views are a little slanted and out of touch with the reality. But we do share the same right to express ourselves. I suggest next time you exercise your freedom not to listen!

Do you take stupid lessons? She questioned no one's right. Anyone has a right to be a racist and a bigot. But that is what she was calling out, and she was right and courageous to do it.

Guest Live here too

Do you take stupid lessons? She questioned no one's right. Anyone has a right to be a racist and a bigot. But that is what she was calling out, and she was right and courageous to do it.

Why do people have to get nasty and name call on this forum. This is a country where people can read and interpret what they read and voice an opinion! That is America! If you choose to make your thoughts a public forum then what you say or write is open to interpretation. I still live here and I do not like all the changes but I do love certain things so I take the bad with the good. Mrs. Sherry makes some very good points. However, I too do not agree that you can dictate to people what they say if they choose to move. My grand-father left Newark and came to Kearny and he was not too happy as he felt forced to leave his beautiful home. He is still sad when he talks about the past Newark and how it was when he was kid!

I agree with the prior post. You cannot force people what to say as they leave the town. I think Mrs. Sherry said that at the end of her letter. The letter had some overtone of telling people how to think and speak and if you disagree with her how to phrase it. That sort of Does infringe on the right to free speech. Now before you get arrogant again, just be reminded that I took my lessons through out the Kearny Schools. So if I had stupid lessons they were part of the curriculum! .

Also, I really would like to hear English spoken more. Everywhere I go all I hear is Spanish. If that makes me a bigot so be it! The difference between the prior immigrants that Mrs. Sherry referred to and many of today's immigrants is the desire to assimilate and become Americans!! Maybe Mrs. Sherry is right and courageous as you say or maybe grandstanding and getting to ready to run for another political office! Either way her letter comes off a bit righteous, but thank God in this country she has the right to them!

Guest Guess

I'm sure citizens of Newark, Irvington, Jersey City, Patterson, East Orange, Trenton and Camden were once as proud of their cities as Mrs. Cifelli-Sherry is of Kearny. Yet they either moved out and stayed and watched as parts of their cities turned into slums and ghettos. Kearny as much as we love it is heading in that direction!!!