The story doesn't make sense.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

According to the God babblers who keep posting here, there is a God who sent his only divine Son to die on a cross so that those who believed in him may be saved from eternal torment. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but shall have eternal life." (John 3:16)

The story is obviously a ridiculous fairy tale. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm saying it because the God babblers keep forcing their religion on us, and - along with many others - I'm sick of it. They want to talk about their religion, and push it on everyone. OK, then let's talk about it. If it wasn't for their incessant pushing, I wouldn't do this.

In the first place, Christians can't even get their story straight. Is it a lake of fire and eternal torment, or merely death and annihilation? Assuming the former, God would be a sociopath and a psychopath, making the story a horrid fairy tale. Assuming the latter, the story is merely a fairy tale.

Second, assume the story to be true. According to the story, God offered himself as a sacrifice, out of love, for each and every person on earth. The offer, per John 3:16, was extended to the whole world, and salvation is granted to everyone "who believes in him." You can't believe in someone you've never heard of. If the story was true, every person who ever lived, since Jesus died, would have known about the story, thereby having the chance to believe. Yet when white Europeans encountered native peoples all over the world, in remote areas, from the late medieval period into the 20th century, they had never heard the story. They had no chance to believe. But according to the fairy tale, their salvation was conditioned on belief. Surely God would have the power to send an angel to tell everyone about the most important thing he ever did, the thing that would offer them salvation. Yet somehow, most of the world never heard the story. This is proof beyond any reasonable doubt that the story is a cultural artifact, born of a particular time and place. It is not universal. It isn't true. It never happened. If it had happened, everyone who ever lived since Jesus died would have heard about it. God would have made sure of that - if that God existed.

I cannot prove whether there is or is not a God. But the use of a little reason proves beyond any doubt that this version of God is a fairy tale.

You wanted to discuss your religion, God babblers. You want an officially sanctioned Christmas tree, not just a holiday tree. In only seven months, you can start whining about that again. Again, I'm not saying this, in this forum, for any other reason except that you keep shoving your religion down our throats. Here's your chance to show everyone why the things written here are not true. You wanted to discuss your religion. Go ahead.

Guest Guest

According to the God babblers who keep posting here, there is a God who sent his only divine Son to die on a cross so that those who believed in him may be saved from eternal torment. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but shall have eternal life." (John 3:16)

The story is obviously a ridiculous fairy tale. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm saying it because the God babblers keep forcing their religion on us, and - along with many others - I'm sick of it. They want to talk about their religion, and push it on everyone. OK, then let's talk about it. If it wasn't for their incessant pushing, I wouldn't do this.

In the first place, Christians can't even get their story straight. Is it a lake of fire and eternal torment, or merely death and annihilation? Assuming the former, God would be a sociopath and a psychopath, making the story a horrid fairy tale. Assuming the latter, the story is merely a fairy tale.

Second, assume the story to be true. According to the story, God offered himself as a sacrifice, out of love, for each and every person on earth. The offer, per John 3:16, was extended to the whole world, and salvation is granted to everyone "who believes in him." You can't believe in someone you've never heard of. If the story was true, every person who ever lived, since Jesus died, would have known about the story, thereby having the chance to believe. Yet when white Europeans encountered native peoples all over the world, in remote areas, from the late medieval period into the 20th century, they had never heard the story. They had no chance to believe. But according to the fairy tale, their salvation was conditioned on belief. Surely God would have the power to send an angel to tell everyone about the most important thing he ever did, the thing that would offer them salvation. Yet somehow, most of the world never heard the story. This is proof beyond any reasonable doubt that the story is a cultural artifact, born of a particular time and place. It is not universal. It isn't true. It never happened. If it had happened, everyone who ever lived since Jesus died would have heard about it. God would have made sure of that - if that God existed.

I cannot prove whether there is or is not a God. But the use of a little reason proves beyond any doubt that this version of God is a fairy tale.

You wanted to discuss your religion, God babblers. You want an officially sanctioned Christmas tree, not just a holiday tree. In only seven months, you can start whining about that again. Again, I'm not saying this, in this forum, for any other reason except that you keep shoving your religion down our throats. Here's your chance to show everyone why the things written here are not true. You wanted to discuss your religion. Go ahead.

Woof.

We'll see if the "God babblers" have an ounce of honesty, to take this on.

Guest Guest

Five days since this post, and not a word from the God-babblers.

Have the decency to admit that your theology is a fairy tale.

You kept saying you wanted to talk about religion. Isn't this fun?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Why isn't there anything in the Bible that says slavery is wrong? Why isn't one of the ten commandments "thou shalt not own another person?" There is a commandment about slavery but it only says not to covet another man's slave.

If you think clearly about, you cannot have any doubt that the Bible is not divinely inspired. In fact, the so-called "good book" isn't even a very good book.

Guest Non A-hole Atheist

Why would anyone bother to Debate with someone who's mind is already closed. Here's a Hint....Referring to Christians as "God Babblers" doesnt exactly make the case that you really CARE what they say. But thanks again for Reinforcing my earlier Posts about You guys. I wonder if you have any Christian Friends...and if you do, if you call THEM "God Babblers" to their faces...or are you just a jerkoff from behind a computer screen?????

Guest Guest

Why would anyone bother to Debate with someone who's mind is already closed. Here's a Hint....Referring to Christians as "God Babblers" doesnt exactly make the case that you really CARE what they say. But thanks again for Reinforcing my earlier Posts about You guys. I wonder if you have any Christian Friends...and if you do, if you call THEM "God Babblers" to their faces...or are you just a jerkoff from behind a computer screen?????

Just by reading his posts you know he's a jerkoff.

Guest Guest

I'm the person who opened this topic, and you're absolutely right. I'm the biggest jerk-off, jackass and twit in the world.

Now that we've settled that, does any of you have anything to say about the Christian narrative, or how it could possibly be true?

After all, which is more important: how big a jerk I am, or how much damage this ridiculous story has done to the world?

Think about what it's saying. Only instead of swallowing what your culture has fed you since the day you were born, really think about what it would mean if it was true.

Guest Guest

Yeah, right, like that's the reason none of the Christians has responded to a single point. Quite a few topics have been opened on religion, sometimes very respectfully. The Christians who post here didn't respond to those either, so spare us the baloney about how we'd be having an intelligent discussion by now if only the atheists were nicer about it.

As for close-minded, you're kidding, right? How often do people change their opinions about religion based on facts and reason? "That's where faith comes in," remember - the all-purpose justification for whatever you want to believe.

So, yeah, "God-babblers" is insulting but the post also has real content in it, which is more than can be said for your "response."

Guest Guest

I wrote post #4, which I think is respectful. Respond to post #4 and discuss it with me.

"Why isn't there anything in the Bible that says slavery is wrong?" What are the possibilities? God forgot to mention it - can't be that because the Bible condones slavery, and anyway God cannot forget, supposedly. Slavery used to be morally right? I don't see how that could be.

The only possibility left is that these passages are not divinely authored or inspired.

Can you think of any other possibilities? I can't.

Guest Guest

The story still doesn't make sense. If you're a Christian, and you have any ethical integrity at all, you will either defend the story or stop saying you believe in it.

For all the taunting, this topic and several others invite serious discussion. The unwillingness of even one Christian to step up to the challenge speaks volumes about the poverty of the Christian narrative and Christian theology, taken as being literally true.

Guest Guest

Some things do change, and this is one of them. Enough people are onto the fact that the Christian narrative, literally interpreted, is a fairy tale. Not one person has even tried to defend it. Say you believe it if you insist but you don't act like you believe it, any more than I do; and you no longer get to wave it in my face or shove it down my throat. (I'd be a whole lot nicer about this is you hadn't done that but you did.) Those days are over.

It may take time but with hard work, we just may yet work our way out of all the damage this ridiculous story has done to civilization because quite a few people have taken it seriously and literally.

Guest Guest

Some things do change, and this is one of them. Enough people are onto the fact that the Christian narrative, literally interpreted, is a fairy tale. Not one person has even tried to defend it. Say you believe it if you insist but you don't act like you believe it, any more than I do; and you no longer get to wave it in my face or shove it down my throat. (I'd be a whole lot nicer about this is you hadn't done that but you did.) Those days are over.

It may take time but with hard work, we just may yet work our way out of all the damage this ridiculous story has done to civilization because quite a few people have taken it seriously and literally.

That's some religion. The more seriously you take it, the worse it is. When are people going to wake up and admit that is not what a religion should be?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

And this ridiculous story still doesn't make any sense. Aren't two thousand years of nonsense more than enough? Don't get angry. Think about it. It's the truth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

2Stupid4Words, a/k/a KearnyChristian, has a very short attention span, and he doesn't seem to want to discuss this. But the story really doesn't make sense.

Guest Guest

I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow in church. You're obviously a very troubled young man.

Guest Guest

I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow in church. You're obviously a very troubled young man.

You pray for me, I'll think for you. Now explain to us all how that story makes any sense.

Guest Guest

And not a single intelligent answer to any of this either. If this wasn't all true, the Christian hypocrites would be all over it. But they aren't because they have no answers. Because it's all true, every word of it.

Guest Guest

Still no answer from 2Stupid4Words, a/k/a Kearny Christian, or any of the other God-babblers in town.

Not a peep.

Not a word.

Not a single reason given to defend this ridiculous story.

Is it eternal torment for the damned, or just annihilation? All depends on which version of the story you want to believe. Both of them are just made up anyway, so who cares? And that's the attitude taken by the so-called "believers."

And how is it possible for a perfect God to make imperfect souls? The God-babblers say people choose sin. Then if they were created, they were created to be imperfect.

Only we weren't created. We are products of nature, perhaps the luckiest creatures anywhere in the universe, we won the cosmic lottery, because we get to live these rich and wonderful lives. But there's no way that all our flaws make any sense if we were products of a perfect God.

And what about the animals? According to Christian theology, they aren't capable of sin. Yet many of them die in the jaws of a predator. Parents watch their offspring being eaten alive. Only a maniac would create a world that way, having a choice.

The usual excuse for this insanity is that man disobeyed God, so all the animals had to suffer. But that makes no sense. It's just a story somebody made up a long time ago. It's long past time to let go of it.

Oh, but "live and let live," some people say. I agree with live and let live, but not shut up and don't tell the truth about these ridiculous old religions. We can't afford it anymore. We live in a brutal world that is becoming hot and crowded. We can't afford the fairy tales. So I decided to tell the truth.

I could keep going but either you're willing to accept the reality, or you're not. But if you don't agree, at least have the decency to say why.

Guest Guest

Believing in things that don't make sense is irresponsible. Theistic religion is a cultural fixture. So was slavery. They're different but neither of them was right, even though people embraced them.

This is serious stuff. People talk out of both sides of their mouths about it - and when you're honest about it, most so-called believers won't talk at all. Apparently the truth isn't what they want.

Guest 2smart4u

Believing in things that don't make sense is irresponsible. Theistic religion is a cultural fixture. So was slavery. They're different but neither of them was right, even though people embraced them.

This is serious stuff. People talk out of both sides of their mouths about it - and when you're honest about it, most so-called believers won't talk at all. Apparently the truth isn't what they want.

You're right, believing in zerO was irresponsible. This is serious stuff. A socialist empty suit spewing a line of s - - t managed to convince the brianless among us that he was the answer to all of Earths problems. And the brainless won't talk at all. Apparently the truth isn't what they want.

Guest Guest

2dim: If you weren't treating this as just a game, you wouldn't have just played word games. You deliberately omitted the part about theistic religion, and refuse to discuss what you claim to believe in. We've defended Obama against your ridiculous, content-free rants. Your turn. Defend the religion you claim to be the ultimate and supreme truth.

Guest 2smart4u

2dim: If you weren't treating this as just a game, you wouldn't have just played word games. You deliberately omitted the part about theistic religion, and refuse to discuss what you claim to believe in. We've defended Obama against your ridiculous, content-free rants. Your turn. Defend the religion you claim to be the ultimate and supreme truth.

I'm secure in my religion. I'd rather talk about the danger this socialist fool zerO is placing our country in. Our debt is nearing 18 trillion (zerO has added more trillions to the debt than every previous president combined). Our southern border is gone and zerO won't go there. The average family income is down almost

$4,000. zerO's approval is down to 36% and continues to drop. A commentator on NBC (a left wing network) called zerO " feckless", That speaks volumes coming

from NBC.