"SPECIALS"

Guest EZ RIDER

Guest Guest American
Stop your comlpaining and learn some Spanish or are you too stupid to learn another language. Everybody in the world speaks too languages.

My grandfather learned English when he was fifty. I speak his language but I certainly don't ask anyone else to speak his language. So why should I have to speak or understand Spanish?? I live in America and English is the language, period. These are fighting words if I have to learn Spanish.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a call comes in and its a spanish person that you can't understand,that should tell them right there go to school and learn english. You are going to need it. We sure as hell aren't going to learn spanish. We have no reason too. We are AMERCIANS.

in 1912 my Grandfather came here fom Germany, went through Ellis Island, and was dumped on the street not speaking any more english than "Please" and "Thank You" within 6 months, he had learned enough to get by working for a local grocer, and was fluent within a year..if He didnt learn English, he didnt work, and therefore, didnt eat. My Grandmother came from ireland speaking more Gaelic than English...same thing, She learned English fluently as soon as possible, so that she could fit in. Now, nw Immigrants dont WANT to fit in. Assimilation is a thing of the past. Instead, the Pllice, Firemen and EMS are expected to be able to speak 50 different languages, and treated badly by the non-english speakers when they can't communicate. I dont care if it's Spanish, Arabic, Portugese, Pashtun, Mandarin, Hindi, or any of the thousands of other Languages or dialects..Would an English-only speaker from here Immigrating to any of THOSE nations, be expected to learn the language there, or would THEY be catered to? Let's be intellectually honest here, and admit that Immigrants here expect soemthing that they would deny to someone in their own home country.

Guest TravelShow
in 1912 my Grandfather came here fom Germany, went through Ellis Island, and was dumped on the street not speaking any more english than "Please" and "Thank You"  within 6 months, he had learned enough to get by working for a local grocer, and was fluent within a year..if He didnt learn English, he didnt work, and therefore, didnt eat.  My Grandmother came from ireland speaking more Gaelic than English...same thing, She learned English fluently as soon as possible, so that she could fit in.  Now, nw Immigrants dont WANT to fit in.  Assimilation is a thing of the past.  Instead, the Pllice, Firemen and EMS are expected to be able to speak 50 different languages, and treated badly by the non-english speakers when they can't communicate.  I dont care if it's Spanish, Arabic, Portugese, Pashtun, Mandarin, Hindi, or any of the thousands of other Languages or dialects..Would an English-only speaker from here Immigrating to any of THOSE nations, be expected to learn the language there, or would THEY be catered to?  Let's be intellectually honest here, and admit that Immigrants here expect soemthing that they would deny to someone in their own home country.

True--

Only in the USA is this expected

what's the excuse for your current dispatchers who by the way may speak english as you say but know nothing else. they don't cut it either so whats your point? race? get use to it. our town population demands a spanish speaking dispatcher. deal with it. i hope she continues to open doors for the rest.

True, there are a few other dispatchers who are not quite up to par. However, the HPD currently has a few Spanish speaking dispatchers, but unlike the new one they can also speak English very well. All people are saying is that the new dispatchers English is very poor and could put both a civilian and police officer's life in jeopardy due to the language barrier.

Man I cant wait to finish up with my Ebonics and Spanglish classes! I will so versed in three diffferent languages, boy what opprotunities await me! I hope I can become a dispatcher in a place like Newark or Elizabeth, where I can put my newly aquired skills to use. Boy I Love America! God Bless the USA. Bring our troops home!

Any job that you apply for should be english speaking only. If they can't learn it go back to their country where they will understand. Any dispatchers should speak english if a call comes in and its in spanish the person who is calling will learn the language real quick if he doesn't understand the what they have to say. English only. Make all these immigrant learn the english language. Thats it.

Wow this has really become a racial issue. Let’s be fair. I deal with people all over the world for work and there is never a language barrier. Most educated people do speak English. Travel to most countries (that are not third world countries) and they will try to accommodate you. Unfortunately the newer immigrants that end up in our area are uneducated and from third world countries. Give them a chance.

However, I DO agree that they should NOT be dispatchers. Perhaps after some inexpensive English classes at the High School this person would be better qualified. I know it totally S**ks I use to feel the same exact way, but there is nothing we can do about this. New immigrants come into this country every day. Our ancestors were once treated the same way. I remember growing up hearing about stories from my family of signs on business saying…...Italians need not apply. Same goes for the Irish. Now we’re the ones doing all the judging. I wonder who the South Americans will judge in the next 30 years. I have no idea when I became the poster child for tolerance but it seems to be working well and I feel much better about myself. Try it!!!

in 1912 my Grandfather came here fom Germany, went through Ellis Island, and was dumped on the street not speaking any more english than "Please" and "Thank You"  within 6 months, he had learned enough to get by working for a local grocer, and was fluent within a year..if He didnt learn English, he didnt work, and therefore, didnt eat.  My Grandmother came from ireland speaking more Gaelic than English...same thing, She learned English fluently as soon as possible, so that she could fit in.  Now, nw Immigrants dont WANT to fit in.  Assimilation is a thing of the past.  Instead, the Pllice, Firemen and EMS are expected to be able to speak 50 different languages, and treated badly by the non-english speakers when they can't communicate.  I dont care if it's Spanish, Arabic, Portugese, Pashtun, Mandarin, Hindi, or any of the thousands of other Languages or dialects..Would an English-only speaker from here Immigrating to any of THOSE nations, be expected to learn the language there, or would THEY be catered to?  Let's be intellectually honest here, and admit that Immigrants here expect soemthing that they would deny to someone in their own home country.

If a call comes in and its a spanish person that you can't understand,that should tell them right there go to school and learn english. You are going to need it. We sure as hell aren't going to learn spanish. We have no reason too. We are AMERCIANS.

This may have been true about a hundred years ago. But today the foreigners get catered to. I hate to say it but if you go to Miami USA and don't know spanish, you don't stand a chance. Even the products we buy are now in english and spanish. Looks like the end of America like is was supposed to be. AND ALL the European immigrants from 100 years ago made it by learning english so don't say this is racist.

Guest Benito Musolini
This may have been true about a hundred years ago. But today the foreigners get catered to. I hate to say it  but if you go to Miami USA and don't know spanish, you don't stand a chance. Even the products we buy are now in english and spanish. Looks like the end of America like is was supposed to be. AND ALL the European immigrants from 100 years ago made it by learning english so don't say this is racist.

PEOPLE THAT "REFUSE" TO LEARN ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED CITIZENSHIP, NOR AFFORDED THE SAME RIGHTS AS THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THE TRANSITION.

CALL ME A RACIST IF YOU WILL, I REALLY DON'T CARE. RIGHT IS RIGHT. IF SOMEONE MAKES THE EFFORT TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THATS MUCH BETTER THAN REFUSING. THAT IS JUST ARROGANT. YES THIS IS THE USA, THE MELTING POT. BUT E N G L I S H IS THE NATIONAL TONGUE, AND SHOULD REMAIN AS SUCH!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Guest Theodore Roosevelt 1907
PEOPLE THAT "REFUSE" TO LEARN ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED CITIZENSHIP, NOR AFFORDED THE SAME RIGHTS AS THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THE TRANSITION. 

CALL ME A RACIST IF YOU WILL, I REALLY DON'T CARE.  RIGHT IS RIGHT.  IF SOMEONE MAKES THE EFFORT TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THATS MUCH BETTER THAN REFUSING.  THAT IS JUST ARROGANT.  YES THIS IS THE USA, THE MELTING POT.  BUT  E N G L I S H IS THE NATIONAL TONGUE, AND SHOULD REMAIN AS SUCH!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American..There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Every American citizen needs to read this!

again you have no fight, i've seen and heard the other dispatchers just as bad or worse.there is no substance to your whining. admit it it's because she's spanish that has you all twisted. how is her watch any different than the others? now be honest how many of your current dispatchers know what they are doing? dispatch correctly clear concise and informative? sounds to me it's a race issue! :angry:

Neither the 'unqualified' English 'only' speaking ones and the one who speaks Spanish as her primary language belong there. They should give ALL of the dispatchers a 'speech" test on the air, just as they do when hiring radio announcers.

There are many Spanish-American born residents in town, who speak Spanish as their 'second' language, and who speak English from birth, who should be able to speak English clearly with no accent, who would be able to pass a speaking test and 'qualify' for the position; be 'easily' understood by the non-spanish citizens of all nationalities AND 'be bilingual with Spanish as their second' language who would be 'also' able to assist the non-English speaking Spanish on the phone.

There are 'many' Harrison born & educated Spanish-Americans available to "TEST" for the position. So TEST "EVERYONE" and "QUIT" with the "PREDJUDICE" baloney!

True, there are a few other dispatchers who are not quite up to par.  However, the HPD currently has a few Spanish speaking dispatchers, but unlike the new one they can also speak English very well.  All people are saying is that the new dispatchers English is very poor and could put both a civilian and police officer's life in jeopardy due to the language barrier.

NOW, THIS IS 'ONE' OF THE 'FEW' REPLIES THAT MADE SENSE AND SHOULD FIX' THE PROBLEM and MAKE ALL OF THE NON-PREDJUDICE PEOPLE (spanish & non-spanish) SATISFIED. I'm 'sure' that there should be 'enough' eloquent, well versed , american schooled 2nd generation Spanish young people & non-Spanish to be given an "INTENSIVE" INTERVIEW AND TRY-OUT SESSION , using the equipment in a 'simulated' emergency test, to make sure that they meet all of the 'qualifications' and can be 'definitly' heard & 'UNDERSTOOD" in an EMERGENCY.

Remeber, we are in POST SEPT 11 and can't afford any chance of error or 'foul-up. This affects "ALL" Harrisonians.

Wow this has really become a racial issue.  Let’s be fair.  I deal with people all over the world for work and there is never a language barrier.  Most educated people do speak English.  Travel to most countries (that are not third world countries) and they will try to accommodate you.  Unfortunately the newer immigrants that end up in our area are uneducated and from third world countries.  Give them a chance.

However, I DO agree that they should NOT be dispatchers.  Perhaps after some inexpensive English classes at the High School this person would be better qualified.  I know it totally S**ks I use to feel the same exact way, but there is nothing we can do about this.  New immigrants come into this country every day.  Our ancestors were once treated the same way.  I remember growing up hearing about stories from my family of signs on business saying…...Italians need not apply.  Same goes for the Irish.  Now we’re the ones doing all the judging.  I wonder who the South Americans will judge in the next 30 years.  I have no idea when I became the poster child for tolerance but it seems to be working well and I feel much better about myself.  Try it!!!

Sure, they should be given an 'equal' chance for a job , but 'only' if they "QUALIFY"!!! Both the immigrant & and the non-immigrant should not be hired for the position if the can't meet the necessary' qulification!!! Not "EVERY" non-hispanic American is QUALIFIED & Not "EVERY" HISPANIC is QUALIFIED!!! You cannot hire anyone out of "pity" if being ILL-EQUIPPED can put another person's or many peoples' lives in danger!!!

This may have been true about a hundred years ago. But today the foreigners get catered to. I hate to say it  but if you go to Miami USA and don't know spanish, you don't stand a chance. Even the products we buy are now in english and spanish. Looks like the end of America like is was supposed to be. AND ALL the European immigrants from 100 years ago made it by learning english so don't say this is racist.

And the Hispanics want 'preference' over the Chinese, Korean, Indian, eic. immigrant. Our immigrant groups are not getting the 'extras' like PRESS 1 for ENGLISH, press 2 for KOREAN, etc. So start evening out the scorebord for 'all' immigrants and quit giving 'little' ENTRA FREEBIES to 'one' group!

CALL ME A RACIST IF YOU WILL, I REALLY DON'T CARE. RIGHT IS RIGHT. IF SOMEONE MAKES THE EFFORT TO SPEAK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THATS MUCH BETTER THAN REFUSING. THAT IS JUST ARROGANT. YES THIS IS THE USA, THE MELTING POT. BUT E N G L I S H IS THE NATIONAL TONGUE, AND SHOULD REMAIN AS SUCH!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Funny that I agree with all the banter regarding that English is the National Language. I don't feel that I am racist at all but my blood pressure rises when this issue is discussed.

The recent wave of immagrants are vastly uneducated. This wave of people are exclusively people from Latin America who could not make it in their own countries for obvious reasons and want a free ride that we offer here in the States.

These immagrants are getting a better deal than law abiding, tax paying citizens. I certainly can not work for cash, all my money is documented, thereby I pay taxes. Shouldn't these cash employees pay taxes also???

The system is breaking down because of all the free loaders and the payers will have nothing when it is their turn for help.

Where do we go for Justice??

Neither the 'unqualified' English 'only' speaking ones and the one who speaks Spanish as her primary language belong there.  They should give ALL of the dispatchers a 'speech" test on the air, just as they do when hiring radio announcers.

There are many Spanish-American born residents in town, who speak Spanish as their 'second' language, and who speak English from birth, who should be able to speak English clearly with no accent, who would be able to pass a speaking test and 'qualify' for the position;  be 'easily' understood by the non-spanish citizens of all nationalities AND 'be bilingual with Spanish as their second' language who would be 'also' able to assist the non-English speaking Spanish on the phone.

There are 'many' Harrison born & educated Spanish-Americans available to "TEST" for the position.    So TEST "EVERYONE"  and "QUIT" with the "PREDJUDICE" baloney!

WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. B)

NOW, THIS IS 'ONE' OF THE 'FEW' REPLIES THAT MADE SENSE AND SHOULD FIX' THE PROBLEM and MAKE ALL OF THE NON-PREDJUDICE PEOPLE (spanish & non-spanish) SATISFIED.  I'm 'sure' that there should be 'enough' eloquent, well versed , american schooled 2nd generation Spanish young people & non-Spanish to be given an  "INTENSIVE"  INTERVIEW AND TRY-OUT SESSION , using the equipment in a 'simulated' emergency test, to make sure that they meet all of the 'qualifications' and can be 'definitly' heard & 'UNDERSTOOD" in an EMERGENCY.

Remeber, we are in POST SEPT 11 and can't afford any chance of error or 'foul-up.  This affects "ALL" Harrisonians.

just in case you haven't called other depts in town, there are several depts that have english challenged employees not just the police dept. any where from the water dept head to the clerk's office. wow! QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS?

Guest Guest in the know
WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. :o

Let's be fair. The Mayor and Police Chief knew what they were doing when they hired the dispatchers. They were helping out residents, while putting more uniformed and trained police officers on the Street, where we NEED THEM!!!

At the same time they saved us money, anyone who doesn't beleive this doesn't realize the cost to train and retain each and every Police Officer.

They are doing the same with hiring the specials to direct traffic and for special events! THIS WILL FREE UP TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS (WITH GUNS) TO CONTINUE DOING A GREAT JOB PROTECTING AND SERVING US!!

Guest Guest in the know
WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. :o

Let's be fair. The Mayor and Police Chief knew what they were doing when they hired the dispatchers. They were helping out residents, while putting more uniformed and trained police officers on the Street, where we NEED THEM!!!

At the same time they saved us money, anyone who doesn't beleive this doesn't realize the cost to train and retain each and every Police Officer.

They are doing the same with hiring the specials to direct traffic and for special events! THIS WILL FREE UP TRAINED POLICE OFFICERS (WITH GUNS) TO CONTINUE DOING A GREAT JOB PROTECTING AND SERVING US!!

WELL IF ONLY THAT WERE TRUE....however, it's not about how they(dispatchers)sound on the radio or how heavy is their accent. It's their knowledge of the job. the responsibilities and the safety of the officer. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. i think this new spanish dispatcher just serves as an escape goat for those dispatchers who normally screw up. this has been an ongoing issue since the town first hired them. the real question is: ARE ALL THE DISPATCHERS REALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION? DO THEY HAVE THE NEEDED skills. in an emergency how many of us would feel comfortable having them relate the information to us? how many of us favor one or two of the dispatchers because of their communication skills and knowledge of job. truth be told the rest are there to fill the position for payback to an elected official payback to a friend payback to a family connection.this new dispatcher is one of the many "others" there,her accent shouldn't be an excuse to axe her. i willingly to bet her skill level is the same as the "others". So, it is a RACIAL ISSUE. :excl:

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU... IT IS NOT A RACE ISSUE... SURE THERE ARE MANY HISPANICS THAT LIVE IN HARRISON THAT DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH. BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR "AMERICAN" SPEAKING CITIZENS, WHO DON'T SPEAK SPANISH??????? WHY SHOULD AMERICANS WHO HAVE LIVED HERE ALL THERE LIVES ADAPT TO A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE IN THEIR TIME OF NEED. WHAT ABOUT ALL THE SENIORS, WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY CALL AND THIS PERSON DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.. BY THE TIME THEY GET SOMEONE TO HELP SOMEBODY IT MAY BE TOO LATE BECAUSE OF A LANGUAGE BARRIER... COME ON PEOPLE, THEIR CERTAINLY IS TRAINING THAT COMES ALONG WITH THE JOB, BUT JUST LIKE EVERYTHNG ELSE HISPANICS DO.... IT IS IN THERE LANGUAGE TOO....DID THIS NEW DISPATCHER PASS ALL THE TESTS IN ENGLISH? I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF SHE DID, OR WAS SHE ABLE TO TAKE THE TRAINING WITH THE HELP OF AN INTERPRETER??????????? WAKE UP HARRISON, LOOKS WHAT'S BECOMING OF THE TOWN YOU ALL SO LOVE....

Just order the broom already, its obvious that she is not going to make it as a dispatcher!!! She probably does possess good cleaning skills and is qualified for the cleaning job. She probably applied for one of the many town hall cleaning lady jobs but the town felt they could get her in quicker by making her a dispatcher. As in the past when other dispatcher's did not work out they were given OTHER jobs in the town. RIGHT!!!!!!! This is not a racial issue as everyone believes it to be, it is about putting a QUALIFIED person in the position.