Our Firefighters are #1 Harrison is a joke.

Guest Joe from Searings Ave

Guest Joe from Searings Ave

Washington Street fire proved it. See that's the great thing about having great guys to volunteer. The men of East Newark care for their town, Sure It would be great for them to get paid to be Firemen. Would they ever be able to get paid per fire that they fight? And ''volunteer ''any other time in between fires. Would this make sense? Please comment . I'm looking out for the firemen's benefit, not looking to stir controversy. Just looking to find a sensibly solution. If the guys on the East Newark Volunteer squad are better qualified than other towns, Shouldn't other towns implement volunteer squads in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Washington Street fire proved it. See that's the great thing about having great guys to volunteer. The men of East Newark care for their town, Sure It would be great for them to get paid to be Firemen. Would they ever be able to get paid per fire that they fight? And ''volunteer ''any other time in between fires. Would this make sense? Please comment . I'm looking out for the firemen's benefit, not looking to stir controversy. Just looking to find a sensibly solution. If the guys on the East Newark Volunteer squad are better qualified than other towns, Shouldn't other towns implement volunteer squads in the first place?

Joe don't believe everything you read on this site.

First off the Harrison Firefighters did an excellent job at the Washington St. Fire. They held it in check with little manpower until East Newark and Kearny arrived. Washington St. proved little except Harrison is undermanned. That’s why they need help, it has nothing to do with the "qualifications" of their firefighters, they are all very qualified and do an excellent job.

Furthermore while the East Newark FD is very qualified that does not mean they are any more or less qualified then the next town over. All firefighters receive the same amount of basic training. In fact Kearny and East Newark send to the very same fire academy. They received training from the same instructors on the same course.

While it would be nice to increase benefits of volunteer firefighters I don't see it happening unless they merged into a West Hudson department with Harrison and/or Kearny. It's just the state of the economy and there is nothing anyone can do at this time.

Hopefully Harrison's redevelopment will pay off and they will be able to hire some more firefighters.

As for implementing volunteer's in other towns. Well that’s up to the town. Remember what works for one town doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. Although with the way budgets seem to be going unless something drastically changes in the next few years I wouldn't be surprised to see more combo departments. (Part Paid, Part Volunteer)

ENFD is a small group of great individuals, I personally know most of them. You should send the mayor & council a letter of your positive feelings towards them and maybe have your neighbors do the same. They don't look for attention or anyone to pat their backs. They are very laid back and humble.

East Newark Firefighters are not "better qualified than other towns". As a matter of fact, they all go to the same traning academies and recieve the same training certifications. EN did a great job ventilating the roof at the Washington St Fire (Kearny Fire Chief at the scene was heard saying "East Newark saved that building", however, Harrison did a superb job with an aggressive interior attack, and mind you, they were extremely short staffed (as they have been for the past 2 years, hopefully, they apply and win a grant for emergency staffing). Additionally, phone communications were down. HFD was on scene battling the fire alone for about 15 minutes (very dangerous, especially while suppressing fire without simutaneous ventilation). Harrison definitely deserves kudos on that one...

Having Volunteer squads in small towns or boroughs make sense (like in East Newark), but having a 100% volunteer squad in towns like Harrison or Kearny is NOT a good idea. Combo career/volunteer could work in those towns, but, if that were to start TODAY, it would take a few years to streamline. Merging EN, Kearny, & Harrison FD's like that of the North Hudson FD would make super sense. EN/Harrison/Kearny already have mutual aid agreements that would make it appear that they are merged, but they aren't, yet...

Guest ENFD Vol

I'm speaking for myself when I say thank you very much for your support of the East Newark Fire Dept. It is very much appreciated. It isn't often that we get to hear from the East Newark residents and I hope that is something we can work to improve in the future. However, the bashing of another fire department, especially one that acts as mutual aid to support East Newark when needed, is not acceptable. All departments that were involved in that fire did their job respectably. Besides the unfortunate residents of that house fire, there weren't many other spectators at 4 in the morning to actually see the hard work all the fire departments on the scene put in, paid and volunteer. Don't get cought up in the HFD bashing that is going on in the Harrison forum. That last thing we need is the East Newark Forum to turn into a place to disrespect our surrounding Fire Departments like the Harrison and Kearny forums have continuously done. Luckily, we have been able to avoid that.

Joe , I agree with you , There is a hellva lot of good men on our volunteer dept. Maybe if It's decided that a merger would beneift all. East Newark's leadership could help stregth Harrison.

Guest EN Citizen

Very good points being made here. I agree 100 percent on avoiding bashing other departments. It is actually nice to see a thread that is positive on this board for once. The HFD needs manpower, unfortunately when the redevelopment started they did not go after the developers to fund emergency services and now the town is left holding the bag and made a buch of salary cuts in all the wrong places.

The ENFD is a group of Dedicated individuals who care about the community and are an asset to the town. Glad to have them around.

Guest NUNYA

Well wait a few weeks, because rumor has it they will be removing some firemen. I guess its budget cuts for no pay volunteers also!

hey BALLSACK, you're an idiot ...#getalife

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest J redemption

A lot of people on this forum like to slander good people making good efforts to make this place better and more safe and livable. When was the last time anyone walked into the firehouse and thanked the guys that are there? Volunteer depts are the future! Especially with all the budget cuts still looming. The best thing to do is collapse all the paid fire depts and make the depts volunteer. And without saying it, They should all follow the Ethic of East Newark' dept. There I said it!

Guest Guest

Ethic?? You better do your homework a lil before you put your faith in them. All of this is public record so go ask to see it. In the last year *** ***** got rid of everyone on the dept living outside o Hudson county so be could get rid of the *****/******* that's caught up in a misconduct lawsuit and put a guy in charge who wrecked a fire truck with a load on in another state that killed people. Factor that in with a ****** and a ******* that aren't certified to be in the positions their in and a ** who was arrested on distribution charges and recieved pti for it. Yup role models if you ask me

Edited by KOTW
Content.

A lot of people on this forum like to slander good people making good efforts to make this place better and more safe and livable. When was the last time anyone walked into the firehouse and thanked the guys that are there? Volunteer depts are the future! Especially with all the budget cuts still looming. The best thing to do is collapse all the paid fire depts and make the depts volunteer. And without saying it, They should all follow the Ethic of East Newark' dept. There I said it!

The answer is not to eliminate paid fire departments. I personally believe every town needs paid firefighters. It's crucial for life and safety reasons. East Newark is just lucky they have decent response times because they have a core group of very dedicated firefighters. It's not the same everywhere, nor could East Newark FD protect all of West Hudson on their own. It's just not practical and it's just not safe. East Newark currently draws volunteers from all 3 towns. They can't even fill there roster, the volunteers just aren't there.

Personally I think well organized combination departments are the future. With a core of paid firefighters and volunteers to supplement their initial efforts. West Hudson could be combo if all 3 towns just put their budgets together and merge the departments. You probably would see even a small increase in volunteers and they would be afforded additional bonus points on the civil service test to be hired in the new department. They would also be a way to increase local hires to this newly formed "West Hudson Department". But believe me you still need about 100 paid firefighters between the 3 towns. Being able to staff a certain number of career engines and ladders would be critical. The volunteers could staff the rest and be a strong second response and also decrease overtime costs. Use Jersey City and North Hudson to come in and cover the town when the volunteers respond to the incident.

It would not be easy to get on the same page but other towns have done it, so obviously it's a possibility.

But 1 large volunteer department is not the answer and would not get the job done in these communities.

Harrison desperately needs more manpower and Kearny does too as they are very short. Solutions to these problems are right in front of them.

Ethic?? You better do your homework a lil before you put your faith in them. All of this is public record so go ask to see it. In the last year *** ***** got rid of everyone on the dept living outside o Hudson county so be could get rid of the *****/******* that's caught up in a misconduct lawsuit and put a guy in charge who wrecked a fire truck with a load on in another state that killed people. Factor that in with a ****** and a ******* that aren't certified to be in the positions their in and a ** who was arrested on distribution charges and recieved pti for it. Yup role models if you ask me

I'm not really sure what this all means. Is the part that was censored actual names or curses?

If these are serious concerns someone has then they should approach the Mayor of East Newark with them or contact the Division of Fire Safety. Or are these just ramblings someone wishes to post on a website. Personal attacks are never fair without proper evidence. If someone isn't certified to be in a certain position the issue should be brought up to the proper authorities and not just posted on a site.

It was upsetting to see East Newark lose some valuable members. But they still have many dedicated people. Dating back for the past 2 years when Harrison was first chopped up by the Town Cronies, East Newark FD was there to help, not there to steal jobs. Most of the East Newark guys want to be paid F/F's. East Newark provided assistance for the past 2 years with little or no incident. It wasn't until there was a spotlight put on the HFD at the recent fire that they tried to blame there neighboring volunteers. Playing the blame game doesn't help anyone or solve any problems.

If Harrison was so in the right and East Newark FD was at fault why has the Harrison Fire Director dropped off the face of the media planet following his out of line comments?? These guys need to all work together not work against each other, otherwise you will have more fatalities.

Guest observer

Is it true that a Harrison Firefighter was arrested recently on drug distribution charges? I know that drug arrests and the 40% drug pensions were common at the Harrison FD years ago but I'm not aware of anything lately. If so, let's hear it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Don't worry rumor is east Newark is getting their new and ever so improved chief back. Amazing how you can get have to take a real quiet demotion, and then a few weeks later be eligible for a chiefs position. If that's the case just reinstate him back to lead the miscreants on both departments. Instead of wearing two chiefs hats we can get him a big sombrero it is cinco de mayo anyway. How this Boro gets away with this type of stuff year after year is amazing

Guest Guest

Well there goes the neighborhood, the mighty Boro has done it again. The mayor must have decided this chief by ******. Let the ******** reign of ***** begin. They probably would have been better off promoting a crossing guard at least there would be less risk of ***********. Unless that's what he's looking to have happen, maybe if the prosecutors office shuts them down the mayor will have a reason to sell the department over to Harrison.

Edited by KOTW
Content.