What a Shocker! Disgraceful BOE...

Guest Oly Schmidt

Guest Pick and Choose

Shame! Shame! Shame! Putting a 5 year teacher, Mr. Avitable to replace a 30 year educator, Mr. Hoff is a superdisgraceful act on their part and an insult to the public's intelligence. Take out the fabulous 5! Begin this November by voting out Castelli and his associates, Campbell and Martin. Vote for Lindenfelser, Dowry and Doran.

Wait a minute, 2 years ago a VP was put in at Schuyler School. She had 5 years teaching, as a MUSIC teacher. No one seemed to mind that appointment, oh yeah, I forgot she was a FD appointment and her mother went to bat to try to keep FD in Kearny, now I get it....that one is OK !! and her father makes a ton of money off the BOE with his alarm business. and her mother is employed by the BOE, and her sister is employed by the BPOE, ooooooooo now I get it !!!! Let's forget that one.

Guest Retired Test Fixer

o.k., this one has to be addressed point by inaccurate point. "That good average citizens have decided to step up and volunteer their time to try to make the BOE better for kids and taxpayers" . . . Bit of a slap in the face to the multitudes of GOOD AVERAGE CITIZENS who have done this for more than a century, don't you think? Or are you so enamored of the current board majority that you actually believe they are somehow special. They're not. They ran for election (for whatever reasons you care to believe), got elected and are now doing what they supposedly WANTED to do by running for election. But, making the BOE better for kids and taxpayers? You'd have to give specifics on that one, cause that's a stretch.

Your use of the word democracy in connection with this board majority is laughable! They're a board of 5 and quite happy to stay that way. There's practically no communication between the entire board and they make big ill-advised decisions with no one's counsel but their own. Kind of hard to agree - or disagree for that matter - when you don't even know what the topic is!

Keep trying to make that connection between the TOWN and the boe . . . puppets . . . administrators . . . blah, blah, blah. Get some new material.

Street cleaning is a 4 pm not 5 pm.

There's a legitimate argument to be made regarding a conflict of interest for members of the police force, including those at the top of the organizational chart, also sitting on the boe.

The fireman crack? Cheap shot against a respected member of this community,

My reply to you, a BOE wannabe, is as follows: regarding past members, I say this, there have been some VERY good past members, the problem has always been that they could accomplish NOTHING because they were ALWAYS in the minority, so chances are when their term was up they moved on because no matter how they tried the MACHINE of hacks would have the CONTROL. That has been a problem for years and more so in recent times. Obviously you do not approve of the 5, and you are entitled to YOUR opinion. I approve of what they have done and wish they would have done even more, which shows me that they ARE NOT hacks and are doing certain things that must be done. None of their actions appear to be reckless at all but because some peoples FRIENDS are effected they are taking heat, as they are from you. I don't need new material when the material I use is FACT and time will show it to be fact. I never said street cleaning was at 5pm, pay attention, I said it was done at 5pm. Say all you want about police in conflict, that only reassures me of where you are getting your inaccurate info from, there are documented case of no conflict and again time will show this to be FACT. Question for you, were you around when the BOE had a Police Chief, who had the same name as a principal at Washington School, on the Board? or a Fire Chief on thr Board? Did anyone cry conflict then? I guess it depends who your friends are? Right? As for the fireman crack, no crack just fact! He has been a total let down, talk about a phony! Here's a guy who gets his info from people he thinks are friends, but are only using him, they fill his head with their beliefs and prepare statements for him to read. Tal about people pulling your strings, he is programmed. A total disgrace of a man. And as a poster here wrote earlier, he said that he would not vote for someones son because of what just took place, "tickfortat", big mistake!!

Guest fabulousfiveisms

All this talk of Avitable is a bit premature, isn't it? Hasn't even gone to the board for a vote yet. And, yes, all NINE get to vote. Think this one's a slam dunk?

Taking out Mr. Hoff from the Vice Principal position, a 30 year experienced educator, and replacing him with a 5 year neophyte teacher, Mr. Avitable, is an injustice to the total educational integrity of the Kearny Public School District. We whole heartily agree with the other postings that stated that the Fab Five are really insulting the intelligence of the public at large and some of their very own strong supporters. Many of their best constituents are now turning against them for this blatant and ugly political move.

Guest Guest

All this talk of Avitable is a bit premature, isn't it? Hasn't even gone to the board for a vote yet. And, yes, all NINE get to vote. Think this one's a slam dunk?

It is most certainly a slam dunk because it is clearly a political appointment !Take back our schools from the Fab Five's political maneuvers and self serving actions! Remove the Fab 5 this November! Bring back to Franklin School Mr. Hoff, a highly experienced and respected teacher and administrator of 30 years! Vote out Paul Castelli and his friends, Campbell and Martin this November! SOS! Save Our Schools! SOS! Save Our Schools! SOS! Save Our Schools!

Guest Poetic Justice For Fab 5

What is all the huff and puff about Mr. Hoff? So Hoff was an educator for 30 years and a plus. Go back and forth with lies and truths but remember this that it's inevitable. A five year teacher will replace Vice Principal Hoff and become Vice Principal Avitable. This is most shameful and terribly so wrong. That a group of five men can do this for long. But soon will arrive our November's election, and the Fabulous Five will then get their corrections!

Guest Guest

It is most certainly a slam dunk because it is clearly a political appointment !Take back our schools from the Fab Five's political maneuvers and self serving actions! Remove the Fab 5 this November! Bring back to Franklin School Mr. Hoff, a highly experienced and respected teacher and administrator of 30 years! Vote out Paul Castelli and his friends, Campbell and Martin this November! SOS! Save Our Schools! SOS! Save Our Schools! SOS! Save Our Schools!

I agree the five should go but since when are school board elections in November?

Guest Guest

Wait a minute, 2 years ago a VP was put in at Schuyler School. She had 5 years teaching, as a MUSIC teacher. No one seemed to mind that appointment, oh yeah, I forgot she was a FD appointment and her mother went to bat to try to keep FD in Kearny, now I get it....that one is OK !! and her father makes a ton of money off the BOE with his alarm business. and her mother is employed by the BOE, and her sister is employed by the BPOE, ooooooooo now I get it !!!! Let's forget that one.

But there goes the argument - if the VP at Schuyler was such a blatent, political pay back my Mr. D & Co., why wasn't her reappointment blocked? She was in the same place (tenure-wise) as Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgartner, but she was reappointed.

I don't disagree with all of the arguments about why Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgartner were not reappointed, but this part of the equation doesn't make sense.

Guest Last Stand

Wow, it is aweful early for this desperation cry !!! The old days are OVER !!!! Keep change coming !!! Out with the old POLITICAL hacks on the BOE and keep hope alive for our KIDS and TAXPAYERS ! Voters have gotten very smart in the last 2 elections and now is the time for the FINAL blow. Here is the desperate hacks ticket: C. Lindenfelser, yes, ex-wife of the BOE attorney, who is still the BOE attorney, D. Lowry, yes, retired Director of Curriculum, which while she was at the head test scores and student achievement were at all time LOWS, and J. Doran Jr, incumbant, who should have never been elected 3 years ago, but ran basically unopposed, he was the Town Halls chosen boy puppet, but things have changed and now finds himself on the outside looking in, Mayor has his own ticket this time and does not include slick Jim. What is truly amazing is all his cronies who cried about BOE members not voting recently have to stop and look at the RECORD, slick Jim had (13) votes cast over the last 2 meetings as NOT VOTING. His mother is employed by the BOE and his brother is employed by the BOE so there is not much he can vote on.

Guest Election2012/The Reckoning

The "FAB FIVE" have demonstrated their total lack of respect and consideration for the taxpayers of Kearny and their children. My suggestion is to utilize their own words in election campaigns: Remember, the Board can do better! Their self righteous actions and disrespect speak volumes. Send the "FAB FIVE" beetles back to their dung heaps.

Get rid of these political hacks and their friends! This November vote for Lindenfelser, Lowry and Doran! Bring back Mr.Hoff and Dr.Baumgarten!

Guest Guest

My reply to you, a BOE wannabe, is as follows: regarding past members, I say this, there have been some VERY good past members, the problem has always been that they could accomplish NOTHING because they were ALWAYS in the minority, so chances are when their term was up they moved on because no matter how they tried the MACHINE of hacks would have the CONTROL. That has been a problem for years and more so in recent times. Obviously you do not approve of the 5, and you are entitled to YOUR opinion. I approve of what they have done and wish they would have done even more, which shows me that they ARE NOT hacks and are doing certain things that must be done. None of their actions appear to be reckless at all but because some peoples FRIENDS are effected they are taking heat, as they are from you. I don't need new material when the material I use is FACT and time will show it to be fact. I never said street cleaning was at 5pm, pay attention, I said it was done at 5pm. Say all you want about police in conflict, that only reassures me of where you are getting your inaccurate info from, there are documented case of no conflict and again time will show this to be FACT. Question for you, were you around when the BOE had a Police Chief, who had the same name as a principal at Washington School, on the Board? or a Fire Chief on thr Board? Did anyone cry conflict then? I guess it depends who your friends are? Right? As for the fireman crack, no crack just fact! He has been a total let down, talk about a phony! Here's a guy who gets his info from people he thinks are friends, but are only using him, they fill his head with their beliefs and prepare statements for him to read. Tal about people pulling your strings, he is programmed. A total disgrace of a man. And as a poster here wrote earlier, he said that he would not vote for someones son because of what just took place, "tickfortat", big mistake!!

Number one, if you can call me a BOE wannabe (which I'm not), then I guess I can call you a cranky old teacher. Fair? What disturbs me most about your opinion of the fab 5 is that you wish they had done more, and by virtue of the fact that they have already done things YOU approve of, they're not hacks? What are these wonderful things that they've done, beyond getting rid of 2 administrators, cause that was really positive. Oh yeah, we have that wonderful ice hockey team now, although now it will cost taxpayers for coaches salaries. But think how happy all those cop and fireman's kids are! Super. So, yeah, what else have they done that eliminates them from the hack category? Something, anything? You can get back to me on that one.

I will concede the point about the former board member who was also on the police department. As for firemen, I don't see any problem there. I don't think there's a conflict there. In fact, our current Fire Chief was once the board president and I don't think anybody at all had a problem with that. Police, that's a bit different & if you don't see that, well, that's your opinion.

It seems you have quite an axe to grind with the current RETIRED fireman on the boe. Sounds personal to me which precludes you from making that disgusting assessment of him as a disgrace of a man. Statements like that say something about you and you should try to use a bit more maturity before you attack someone's character so viscously.

Guest confused onlooker

But there goes the argument - if the VP at Schuyler was such a blatent, political pay back my Mr. D & Co., why wasn't her reappointment blocked? She was in the same place (tenure-wise) as Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgartner, but she was reappointed.

I don't disagree with all of the arguments about why Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgartner were not reappointed, but this part of the equation doesn't make sense.

What arguments would they be? Please state them, since not one of the 5 or 4, when they had the opportunity, stated what they were. Instead, the board attorney, when questioned as to how the "reasons" were arrived at, tried to explain away that he was contacted by certain board members and they came up with the "reasons" letter. Other than that, no explanation, no complaints stated whatsoever. I seem to recall policy being read by the parties' attorney that that is a direct violation of a Board member's duties. I also recall at least 2 other board members stating publically this issue (reasons for not accepting renewal recommendation) WAS NOT DISCUSSED AS A FULL BOARD - another extremely disturbing ETHICS VIOLATION.

Guest Stay on Point

You are way off point. The issue made was in reference to a teacher with 5 years experience being hired as a VP. The VP at Schuyler had only 5 years experience and was hired without any rantings, so what is different with hiring a VP at franklin who only has 5 years experience?

Guest KearnyboeWatchDog
I heard Bert put in for Superintendent of Schools, not a VP. Is that true?
Now we can see by reading all these posting that the Fabulous 5 are seriously IMPLODING from within. About 80 percent or more of all the postings here on kearnyontheweb are of an anti-fabulous 5 tone and their associates, who are Castelli, Campbell and Martin, who are also running in this November's election.That means that if Bert ****, who was one of their staunch supporters but now he is against them, they are obviously blowing up from the inside out! Also, they should try to hide the fact, if there is any validity to it , that any of their own constituents are turning against them, for whatever reasons. So what do they have left? If that's the case, and Bert **** is posting all this crap on kearnyontheweb against the Fabulous 5 then he is more powerful and influential than we thought he was because he is definitely dominating the anti- Fabulous 5 tonality campaign on kearnyontheweb. Keep going after them Bert!! We are extremely proud of you!!! The Fabulous 5 are obviously running really scared!!! They are completely losing the war on kearnyontheweb!!! That means that they are totally losing the electoral war in the town of Kearny. Their fear is most palatable!!! Also, please take serious note, the Fabulous 5 are very stupid indeed when it comes to educational decisions and and even more stupid when it comes to political moves. How do you screw political powers that be in the Town of Kearny, like frank *******, Robert *******, Carol **** *****, Laura ********, ****** ********, and now, apparently, even, mad dog Bert **** and expect to get re-elected? And if any of your constituents are turning against you, for whatever reasons, why do you publish such detrimental news? Just how stupid are you guys, really? Inquiring minds would like to know. PS if you think I'm Bert **** I now take it as a compliment. I'm sure Bert **** doesn't give a sh*** either what you think. He probably just wants to take you bad guys out, and it looks like he is succeeding. Keep at it Bert, make us proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by KOTW
Poster Put in with original post *'s and KOTW added some of our own.

Guest Guest

I agree the five should go but since when are school board elections in November?

Vote for Lindenfelser, Lowry, and Doran. Tell all your Kearny voting family and friends. Election day will be Tuesday, November 6, 2012.

Guest Apples & Oranges

You are way off point. The issue made was in reference to a teacher with 5 years experience being hired as a VP. The VP at Schuyler had only 5 years experience and was hired without any rantings, so what is different with hiring a VP at franklin who only has 5 years experience?

The difference is that a 30 year veteran educator, namely, Mr. Mart Hoff, who had stellar evaluations and was the legal recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools was abritarily, capriciously and whimsically removed to make room for a Fabulous 5 ******* with only 5 years experience. Mr. Hoff now has a two million dollar wrongful termination lawsuit against the kearny public schools/ tax payers which he will clearly prevail in because the Judge will look at the facts. A 30 year old veteran versus a 5 year rookie teacher. Give me a break! That was NOT the case in Schuyler school where the Vice Principal was promoted to Principal and made room for a new new Vice principal position. See Apples and Oranges. Fabulous 5 must go. Vote in November 6, 2012 for Lindenfelser, Lowry and Doran. Edited by KOTW
Content

Guest Fabulousfiveisms renamed

What arguments would they be? Please state them, since not one of the 5 or 4, when they had the opportunity, stated what they were. Instead, the board attorney, when questioned as to how the "reasons" were arrived at, tried to explain away that he was contacted by certain board members and they came up with the "reasons" letter. Other than that, no explanation, no complaints stated whatsoever. I seem to recall policy being read by the parties' attorney that that is a direct violation of a Board member's duties. I also recall at least 2 other board members stating publically this issue (reasons for not accepting renewal recommendation) WAS NOT DISCUSSED AS A FULL BOARD - another extremely disturbing ETHICS VIOLATION.

I believe that in order to make more rationality of the Fabulous 5 and all their moves, it will all be much more simple if we just rename them and then they will make more sense. I suggest: The Asinine, + The Brainless, + The Dense, + The Foolish, + The Imbecile = The Stupid Mindless 5. Now everything they do, does NOT contradict their names. It's really amazing how much rhyme and reason you can make out of confusing things when you call a spade a spade and a dope a dope. That was the problem we were calling them the Fabulous 5 and were perturbed and confused by their stupidity. What do you think?

Guest fabulousfiveisms

Well, well, well. If nothing else, we learned that the Fab 5 (or 4 if you count O'Malley's absence) aren't very good at HIRING but they sure do know how to FIRE.

Yea. They have just created a HUGHE WRONGFUL TERMINATION lawsuit for Dr. Baumgarten and Mr. Hoff. A school Principal in Camden New Jersey just settled for a similar case for 1.5 million dollars because the person they replaced the embattled Principal with had less qualifications and less experiential years. Read about the case. Sounds familiar? At the end of the day Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgarten will have a big payday on the Kearny Tax Payers pocket. Thank you Fab5!!!!!!! Make sure you vote out these mindless Fab5 this November 6, 2012. Vote for Lindenfelser, Lowry and Doran. SOS. Save our Schools and tax dollars.

Guest Still Confused?

You do not understand "proper procedure" or don't want to. As far as "I also recall at least 2 other board members stating publically this issue was not discussed as a full board", makes no sense at all and shows that certain groups of people "get together" and decide ahead of Board Meetings how VOTES are to go. This "issue" was up for a vote at a BOE meeting, in which BOE members know prior to the meeting what is on the agenda, an agenda which is copied to the Mayor's office, hence the political hacks knowing what meetings they should come to. This "issue" came to a vote, which each BOE member cast a vote at an open public meeting on each "issue", these (2) issues you refer to did not get the required votes to pass. What should have been "discussed as a full board"?

Guest Guest

You missed my question. I guess I didn't make it clear. I was commenting on the fact that Mr. Hoff, Dr. Baumgartner, and the VP at Schuyler were all appointed by the same administration at the same time. The belief that Mr. Hoff and Dr. Baumgartner were not reassigned to their positions due to their affiliation with Mr. D & Co. (which I agree with, by the way) is why I'm questioning why the VP at Schuyler wasn't let go. She has much less experience as an educator or experience or even in Kearny than the other two, why was she not let go?

The difference with the possible appointment of Mr. A isn't the same - they didn't replace a hard working, experienced professional with a 5 year music teacher (like what's happening at Franklin,) they filled a position open due to a retirement (at Schuyler) 2 years ago.

I'm not arguing or accusing, just commenting on a couple of things that don't add up.

Guest Getting Back

Number one, if you can call me a BOE wannabe (which I'm not), then I guess I can call you a cranky old teacher. Fair? What disturbs me most about your opinion of the fab 5 is that you wish they had done more, and by virtue of the fact that they have already done things YOU approve of, they're not hacks? What are these wonderful things that they've done, beyond getting rid of 2 administrators, cause that was really positive. Oh yeah, we have that wonderful ice hockey team now, although now it will cost taxpayers for coaches salaries. But think how happy all those cop and fireman's kids are! Super. So, yeah, what else have they done that eliminates them from the hack category? Something, anything? You can get back to me on that one.

I will concede the point about the former board member who was also on the police department. As for firemen, I don't see any problem there. I don't think there's a conflict there. In fact, our current Fire Chief was once the board president and I don't think anybody at all had a problem with that. Police, that's a bit different & if you don't see that, well, that's your opinion.

It seems you have quite an axe to grind with the current RETIRED fireman on the boe. Sounds personal to me which precludes you from making that disgusting assessment of him as a disgrace of a man. Statements like that say something about you and you should try to use a bit more maturity before you attack someone's character so viscously.

That's it, that's all you got? You bet your a$$ I wish they had done more. There is so much dead wood at the BOE across the board that a good house cleaning is what's needed. Maybe if this board doesn't do it the State will. These men you speak of are in the "hack" category?, because why?, they got rid of 2 administrators and started an ice hockey team. That's funny. In their opinion they felt the district could do better at the 2 positions you speak of, if I were to bet, they did not just wake up one day and say let's get rid of 2 people, I would bet they were given some educational information which help them to come to this decision which you have a problem with.

Now this ice hockey team they supported. You mock a program that provides for KIDS who love the sport, but did not have an opportunity to play when they get to high school? "think how happy all those cops and firemen's kids are", are you kidding me, You're a disgrace. Kids are not suppose to be happy?? and especially if they're police or firemen's kids? So let's eliminate any programs in town just because there are police or firemen's kids participating!!!! You forget what some of the duties of a board of education is about.......KIDS !!!! If a program is in demand and it can be provided at little or no cost to taxpayers why not provide it? I'll tell you why, because people like you decide for some reason that you don't like someone (a board member/s) and take it out on the KIDS. This BOE has provide a 0% tax increase for 2 years straight, without laying off any employees or cutting any programs, wish I could say the same about the TOWN OF KEARNY!!!!

As for police and fire, I don't think either is a conflict, it never was, but now because someone doesn't like someone they cry conflict.

As for your retired fireman, no axe to grind, nothing personal, just fact. This guy has been a huge let down. A man of his age and he can't stand on his own.......sad, very sad.