KHS Teacher Controversy

Guest Unknown

Guest Unknown

If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

Now I am all for having freedom of speech, but I also believe every subject has a place and time for discussion; and religion in a history class is not that place.

HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance" (the lippar blog) I will include this website at the end of my rant!

This kid thinks he is so self rightcious and claims he “was requesting an apology and correction of false and anti-scientific statements" (the lippard blog).

If you listen to the audio (which I will also supply the site to) you can clearly hear that Laclair PROVOKED the conversation, and you can hear that the teacher had responded QUITE APPROPRIATELY:

One example being:

Matthew: isn't the whole point of public schools is so that you can separate personal beliefs from teachers and administrators from non religious teachings during school, like school prayer and all that.

teacher: the purpose of public school is to provide free education for people that couldn't afford education. That’s the purpose of public school

Matthew: what would decide what religion should be taught in school, what would decide that?

teacher: no it's not about teaching, my point is it's not about teaching religion, these issues all come up in time, ( tape fades out) things get legislated and we talk in class

the public school shouldn't teach a religion but the scriptures aren't religion they are a foundation of the worlds religion, the world main religion any way.

religion is a set way of doing things

In the conversation above, taken my Matthew Laclair himself, i see no wrong doing by this teacher, i do however see constant and what seems to be "rehearsed" provoking of the topic.

I hope he is reading this right now, because I just have one question for him: What on earth was the need to go to the newspaper? Laclair stated that he had a meeting with the principle, teacher, and the head of the social studies department and at first they did not seem to believe him but then he pulled out the cd's.....which in itself violated this teachers right to privacy.

So again, my question, after laclair proved himself with the cd's why did he not wait for administrative action to take place? There was no need to go to the newspaper, and I think in doing so, this Matthew laclair just proves that he is a 16 year old high school student, and therefore has ALOT to learn before he goes off starting religious wars, and pledge of allegiance protest in the United States of America, a country that has always, and especially since 9/11 shown great pride in our ONE NATION UNDER GOD!!!!

ps: a little side note for everyone reading this who disagrees: stating your views on religion and "forcing your beliefs on someone" is two COMPLELTY DIFFERENT THINGS.

so I would like to say to everyone who agrees or disagrees, we are all here in this nation, in this community together, and my religion is Roman Catholic, so when I say GOD BLESS YOU, I’m not forcing my views, I’m using my faith to wish you health and happiness

GOD BLESS you all

PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag.

lippard blog: http://lippard.blogspot.com/2006/11/public...-class-you.html

Audio:

http://www.nj.com/cgi-bin/prxy/xmedia/nph-.../classaudio.mp3

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion at no time belongs in a public school, and neither do tape recorders.

Both were dead wrong!.

Can't believe the attention it drew. Well I guess I should not consider FOX news attention.

If you are from Kearny then by now you have heard a story that has been blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

A student of KHS, one Matthew LaClair has gone to the newspaper stating that a teacher has been forcing his religious views in is history class.

Now I am all for having freedom of speech, but I also believe every subject has a place and time for discussion; and religion in a history class is not that place.

HOWEVER!!!! This 16 year old CHILD, is nothing more than an attention seeking, immature person, who is also been known to "previously garnered attention for protesting Bush administration activities by refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance" (the lippar blog) I will include this website at the end of my rant!

This kid thinks he is so self rightcious and claims he “was requesting an apology and correction of false and anti-scientific statements" (the lippard blog).

If you listen to the audio (which I will also supply the site to) you can clearly hear that Laclair PROVOKED the conversation, and you can hear that the teacher had responded QUITE APPROPRIATELY:

One example being:

Matthew: isn't the whole point of public schools is so that you can separate personal beliefs from teachers and administrators from non religious teachings during school, like school prayer and all that.

teacher: the purpose of public school is to provide free education for people that couldn't afford education. That’s the purpose of public school

Matthew: what would decide what religion should be taught in school, what would decide that?

teacher: no it's not about teaching, my point is it's not about teaching religion, these issues all come up in time, ( tape fades out) things get legislated and we talk in class

the public school shouldn't teach a religion but the scriptures aren't religion they are a foundation of the worlds religion, the world main religion any way.

In the conversation above, taken my Matthew Laclair himself, i see no wrong doing by this teacher, i do however see constant and what seems to be "rehearsed" provoking of the topic.

I hope he is reading this right now, because I just have one question for him: What on earth was the need to go to the newspaper? Laclair stated that he had a meeting with the principle, teacher, and the head of the social studies department and at first they did not seem to believe him but then he pulled out the cd's.....which in itself violated this teachers right to privacy.

So again, my question, after laclair proved himself with the cd's why did he not wait for administrative action to take place? There was no need to go to the newspaper, and I think in doing so, this Matthew laclair just proves that he is a 16 year old high school student, and therefore has ALOT to learn before he goes off starting religious wars, and pledge of allegiance protest in the United States of America, a country that has always, and especially since 9/11 shown great pride in our ONE NATION UNDER GOD!!!!

ps: a little side note for everyone reading this who disagrees: stating your views on religion and "forcing your beliefs on someone" is two COMPLELTY DIFFERENT THINGS.

so I would like to say to everyone who agrees or disagrees, we are all here in this nation, in this community together, and my religion is Roman Catholic, so when I say GOD BLESS YOU, I’m not forcing my views, I’m using my faith to wish you health and happiness

GOD BLESS you all

PPS: if this offends anyone then tough, because I AM offended that a wonderful teacher is being persecuted by an unknowledgeable juvenile for merely stating what he believes in. Also that this kid is living in MY COUTNRY where my friends and family have fought to keep our freedom and he turns his back on our president and our flag.

Audio:

He waited over a month from the date of the meeting. How long was he supposed to wait?

He waited over a month from the date of the meeting.  How long was he supposed to wait?

If he was waiting for an apology, I wouldn't give him one if I where Mr. P. He obviously set him up. You can clearly hear Mr. P. state that the discussion was going in a wrong direction and does anyone object to the topic, all replied "no". LaClair was the next voice baiting Mr. P.

This kid wants to be an actor/movie star, and he used the media for his own publicity.

Mostly ALL the students support Mr. P. He is a wonderfull teacher, and no, he does not preach in class!

If he is a history teacher he should be teaching history and nothing else.

For your info, he was teaching history. If you listened to the recording, which was on the internet yesterday, you will see and HEAR this little twit set the man up. How would YOU like to wake up in the morning and see your face on the front page of a local newspaper, on every tv station and radio station. What speaks volume is the students of KHS are outraged at this flagrant violation of not only this teacher's rights but every student in that classroom's right to speak their mind without the threat of being tape recorded. Every student in that classroom who contributed to this debate is now on the internet for the world to hear.At the end of the recording, you can hear "the little twit" sayin "Yeees"! The only thing he has accomplished is alienating the few friends that he has, and publically embarrassing a Kearny family, a well respected teacher and coach, for WHAT? I'll tell you what, a minute of fame on televison. Shame on 1010 Wins, the Jersey Journal and every media who are trying to make news, not report it. If you watched the news, the other students are jeering him for the jerk that he is. And remember, this is the same kid that refuses to stand for the flag salute when kids almost his age are dying for his rights. By the way, to his parents "your kid needs a bath & hair wash.

Guest KHS MOM

If its a history class, why did Matt LaClair ASK him about Religion? It was a trap, plain and simple. Matt asked the teacher a question about religion--and before the teacher answered he asked the class if they minded he'' went in this direction'' to which there was a chorus of "no's"so he continued.

My child,who is a 16yr old at KHS, says this kid- besides refusing to stand for the "Pledge of Allegience" also complains that our money states " In God we trust"...I'll betcha anything he doesn't mind spending it though!

Guest Guest_dgas_*

I think it is pretty ironic that this kid has the nerve to fight against freedom of speech but loves to invoke his right to not have to stand and salute the flag at school. By the way, I think his attorney father should advise him that it is unlawful to record a conversation with someone unless they are advised of this. Maybe Matthew should look in the mirror, reassess the situation and see that his High School is in full support of the teacher in this matter

He waited over a month from the date of the meeting.  How long was he supposed to wait?

Guest CONCERNED AMERICAN

FORGIVE ME IF IM WRONG THIS TEACHER TEACHES HISTORY AM I CORRECT? IF SO ALOT OF THE WORLDS PAST IS BASED ON RELIGION! COUNTRIES STILL TODAY FIGHT OVER IT. WHEN I WAS A KID RELIGION WAS PART OF OUR MORNING'S AT SCHOOL (PUBLIC) AND THERE WAS NO WELL, YOUR THIS RELIGION AND I AM ANOTHER B'S SO LETS NOT TALK ABOUT IT, OR I GONNA TELL IF YOU TALK ABOUT GOD OR THE COUNTRY. IF THIS KID IS A TROUBLE MAKER THEN DEAL WITH HIM ACCORDINGLY AND THIS SAME CHILD, YES I SAID CHILD DOESNT RESPECT THE LAWS OF OUR COUNTRY YES THE ONE THAT STATES ONE COUNTRY UNDER GOD THEN WHY WOULD ANYONE GIVE HIM OR ANY OTHERS LIKE HIM THE TIME OF DAY. THESE KIDS TODAY HAVE TO MANY LIBERTYS AND DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW EASY MOST OF THEM HAVE IT IN LIFE, MUCH MORE OPPORTUNITYS AND EDUCATIONAL AVENUES THEY CAN UTILIZE. AND AS FOR THE TEACHER IF HE MAKES REFERENCE TO RELIGION IN SOME OF HIS LESSON'S THEN GOOD FOR HIM IF THE KIDS TODAY WOULD HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF RELIGION WE WOULD PROBLY HAVE A BETTER SOCIETY OF PEOPLE.

I think it is pretty ironic that this kid has the nerve to fight against freedom of speech but loves to invoke his right to not have to stand and salute the flag at school. By the way, I think his attorney father should advise him that it is unlawful to record a conversation with someone unless they are advised of this.  Maybe Matthew should look in the mirror, reassess the situation and see that his High School is in full support of the teacher in this matter

Isn't the right to not stand for the Pledge an act of one's right to freedom of "speech" (freedom of expression)?

Im pretty sure that if you would have listened to the audio, you would realize that he was teaching history, and i am pretty sure he referred to a chapter that involved the creation of earth, chapter 1 maybe?, i think that would be a good chapter for the creation of the earth, don't you? The entire thing was provoked, but the provoker, the little D-Bag, didn't really do a good job, Im pretty sure he didn't get any of the answers he was looking for. Did anyone else here him cocking a gun during the audio, thats what it sounded like to me. Who knows, children shouldn't get themselves involved in politics and if you dont want to stand up for the pledge then you should move to mexico or canada.

Guest Attention

Premeditated entrapment!!!

How about the administration taking action against this traitor, who should be dropped in the center of Iraq, so he don't have to salute our flag, but help burn it with people like himself!!!!!

He should be suspended for having a recording device in the classroom.

Guest Jim Lippard

How about the administration taking action against this traitor, who should be dropped in the center of Iraq, so he don't have to salute our flag, but help burn it with people like himself!!!!!

1. There is no such thing as "premeditated entrapment," and entrapment is a defense only when the entrapment is performed by an agent of the government. LaClair didn't break any laws by recording the class.

2. Matt LaClair didn't "set him up"--he doesn't ask questions until well into the recording. Further, even if LaClair had initiated any discussion of religion it is still the teacher's responsibility is to not use the classroom as a forum for evanglizing.

3. The recording shows that the teacher was leading the class in a rambling, barely controlled or coherent discussion of Halloween, the Bible, Satan, free will, home schooling his kids, the purpose of public education, and other topics having nothing to do with the U.S. History class he was supposed to be teaching. In the course of this, the teacher demonstrated that he knows little about most of the topics he discussed, as he made erroneous statement after erroneous statement. He is clearly not competent to be teaching any of the subjects he was talking about, none of which had anything to do with the subject of the class.

4. When called on his religious advocacy before school administrators, the teacher clearly knew he was in the wrong, because he *lied about it* and denied having said the things he did. Only after LaClair brought forward the recordings did he change his tune--and then refused to cooperate, asking for his union representative.

5. The school administration claims that it has taken "corrective action," but refuses to say what it is. The teacher continues to teach the class.

It is interesting that those defending the teacher and criticizing LaClair fail to address any of the above points.

If I were a parent of a child in Kearny, NJ, I would be very concerned about the quality of education being given at KHS. The teacher in question home schools his own kids, apparently because he recognizes the poor quality of public school education in Kearny. Unfortunately, it's clear that his kids aren't getting anything better at home.

What is being done with this "student" for embarrassing his teacher, his school and his town?

One example being:

GOD BLESS you all

Audio:

Very interesting that there is a facebook group with this exact same writing, by a recent KHS grad. Even more interesting is that there is a picture of the teacher with the caption "the love of my life". I wonder if the feeling is mutual?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2221332971&ref=mf

I agree, the student should be suspended. People should also email Superintendent Mooney & Pricipal Somma, and board members to show support. I also would like to know how the parents of the other kids in the classroom feel about their kids voices and comments being on the internet!

teachers seem to be pretty upset about recordings in the classroom. what goes on in there they don't want anyone to know about????? hhhhmmmmmmmmm.

Guest A Proud American
Isn't the right to not stand for the Pledge an act of one's right to freedom of "speech" (freedom of expression)?

:blink: Yes it the right, but it's wrong, I stand for evrything this country is about, you must be one of those Canada people, who instead of protecting and serving our country you decided it was "Your Right " not to be an American. The " Pledge "

as you call it, is an oath, and it is every Americans duty to stand when taking an oath of allegiance. <_<:unsure::lol::P

:angry: Yes it the right, but it's wrong, I stand for evrything this country is about, you must be one of those Canada people, who instead of protecting and serving our country you decided it was "Your Right " not to be an American. The " Pledge "

as you call it, is an oath, and it is every Americans duty to stand when taking an oath of allegiance.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

But again we go back to how little respect kids today have for America and what it stands for. I also blame the parents who tolerate this kind of behavior from their children. Wasn't this "child" taught why he should stand for the Pledge?? Short of an open apology from the student and his parents, he should be suspended at the least! :angry:

1.  There is no such thing as "premeditated entrapment," and entrapment is a defense only when the entrapment is performed by an agent of the government.  LaClair didn't break any laws by recording the class.

2.  Matt LaClair didn't "set him up"--he doesn't ask questions until well into the recording.  Further, even if LaClair had initiated any discussion of religion it is still the teacher's responsibility is to not use the classroom as a forum for evanglizing.

3.  The recording shows that the teacher was leading the class in a rambling, barely controlled or coherent discussion of Halloween, the Bible, Satan, free will, home schooling his kids, the purpose of public education, and other topics having nothing to do with the U.S. History class he was supposed to be teaching.  In the course of this, the teacher demonstrated that he knows little about most of the topics he discussed, as he made erroneous statement after erroneous statement.  He is clearly not competent to be teaching any of the subjects he was talking about, none of which had anything to do with the subject of the class.

4.  When called on his religious advocacy before school administrators, the teacher clearly knew he was in the wrong, because he *lied about it* and denied having said the things he did.  Only after LaClair brought forward the recordings did he change his tune--and then refused to cooperate, asking for his union representative.

5.  The school administration claims that it has taken "corrective action," but refuses to  say what it is.  The teacher continues to teach the class.

It is interesting that those defending the teacher and criticizing LaClair fail to address any of the above points.

If I were a parent of a child in Kearny, NJ, I would be very concerned about the quality of education being given at KHS.  The teacher in question home schools his own kids, apparently because he recognizes the poor quality of public school education in Kearny.  Unfortunately, it's clear that his kids aren't getting anything better at home.

To Jim Lippard: Did you actually listen to the recording? I doubt it. How do you know the teacher "lied?" Where you there? Of course the teacher continues to teach the class. Do you actually think this little punk was going to get him fired? The teacher in question, "if youactually listened to the tape" is sending his children to public school. Poor quality public school education inkearny? I was educated in Kearny and so were my children. We are doctors, lawyers, scientists. if the little punk and his parents feel he's not getting a good education, send him to private school,if they can afford it. I doubt it.

FORGIVE ME IF IM WRONG THIS TEACHER TEACHES HISTORY AM I CORRECT? IF SO ALOT OF THE WORLDS PAST IS BASED ON RELIGION! COUNTRIES STILL TODAY FIGHT OVER IT. WHEN I WAS A KID RELIGION WAS PART OF OUR MORNING'S AT SCHOOL (PUBLIC) AND THERE WAS NO WELL, YOUR THIS RELIGION AND I AM ANOTHER B'S SO LETS NOT TALK ABOUT IT, OR I GONNA TELL IF YOU TALK ABOUT GOD OR THE COUNTRY. IF THIS KID IS A TROUBLE MAKER THEN DEAL WITH HIM ACCORDINGLY AND THIS SAME CHILD, YES I SAID CHILD DOESNT RESPECT THE LAWS OF OUR COUNTRY YES THE ONE THAT STATES ONE COUNTRY UNDER GOD THEN WHY WOULD ANYONE GIVE HIM OR ANY OTHERS LIKE HIM THE TIME OF DAY. THESE KIDS TODAY HAVE TO MANY LIBERTYS AND DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW EASY MOST OF THEM HAVE IT IN LIFE, MUCH MORE OPPORTUNITYS AND EDUCATIONAL AVENUES THEY CAN UTILIZE. AND AS FOR THE TEACHER IF HE MAKES REFERENCE TO RELIGION IN SOME OF HIS LESSON'S THEN GOOD FOR HIM IF THE KIDS TODAY WOULD HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF RELIGION WE WOULD PROBLY HAVE A BETTER SOCIETY OF PEOPLE.

:angry: why is the town having problems with the best teacher to hit town in years!A PROUD AMERICAN IS 100 % RIGHT! the town has lost its way in the dark! and kearny IS IN ITS DARK DAYS! the very thing that our life and laws are made of is at risk! when god is left out of teaching in school the very way of life in the usa is at risk! thats just what UBL WANTS! the town folk NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND ASK GOD TO FORGIVE THE STUPID DUMB THINGS SOME FOLK ARE SAYING! this is a good time for kearny to " repent" for pushing god out of schools and every day life :angry:

Guest Miss Crabtree
But again we go back to how little respect kids today have for America and what it stands for. I also blame the parents who tolerate this kind of behavior from their children. Wasn't this "child" taught why he should stand for the Pledge?? Short of an open apology from the student and his parents, he should be suspended at the least!  :angry:

Back in my day someone would have a foot up this young gentlemans ass.

Probably a parent.

Not today.

So Sad.

Guest Star status for matt and harriso

***** ** was seen kissing ******* *** at the harrison state champ soccer game is this him once again excerciesing his rights-wouldn't really have cared if he didnt **** *** ***** **** *** **** ** *** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.