Layoffs

Guest Guest

It's painfully obvious that you have no idea what goes on in a library. Ever hear of a reference question? Ever wonder how the computers (29) got there at little or no cost to the Taxpayer? Did you ever try to figure out why the children love to be there? How about the programs, do you think they happen by themselves? How about when you don't return your books on time, who prepares the letters to remind you to bring them back? Who calls to remind you to bring them back? How do you think the tax forms get here to be distributed? Who do you think lugs the Loan Collection in the Children's Dept. back and forth to the Newark Museum? If there was nobody available to run to your aid the moment you came through the doors, they could have been shelf-reading or preparing a shipment of donated books for the Vets. Do you think the books appear out of thin air? They have to be ordered and processed. Budgets have to be prepared. Statistical reports have to be generated and recorded. Shall I continue? How about the decorations? How do you think they get done? You have a computer system that is cutting edge and free and the Library is a Hot Spot meaning free wireless access that was obtained through a grant at no cost to the Taxpayer.

The eight people who work there cover two shifts and Saturdays. Two are part-time. Three people in the morning and three for the evening. Part-timers are floaters with overlapping coverage during lunch times. There now, maybe now that you have a better idea of how things work, you can keep your negative comments to yourself. You should use the Library more often, it may improve your attitude. It has been said that the quality of a community is reflected in its library system. You should be grateful for what you have.

Sounds like someone is trying to keep their job. Kearny only has one full time employee in there libraries.

I hope the mayor reads this, he has no idea about any of this either.

He has no idea about anything that goes on in Harrison, unless it intails getting some form of kick back for himself and Doran, Doran informs him of what to say. Kick backs are also coming from the new ******* ******* with **** that is the ******* ****** buddy. Ya know what I mean? put two and two together, something that Benett, Dollarhand, Mandaglio, Nasimento and Haranga CANNOT DO.

I repeat, my tax dollar should not be going to babysit peoples children, either at the library or the schools.

Your taxes should go for two pension Pete's pensions and all the dual job holders. Just sit back and keep on paying it is business a usual in Harrison.

I hope the mayor reads this, he has no idea about any of this either.

There still shoudent be that many people in any dept. The town managed years ago with two people in most depts think about it

There still shoudent be that many people in any dept. The town managed years ago with two people in most depts think about it

Talk about too many people in one department? How about the Violation Department? What do they have 10 or 11 people making in the $60's? There is another that needs to be cut. Again the place to cutt is in the town hall. This is where all the big bucks are going for salaries. We doo need the Police. Even if they don't do much, but we need them. Fire department we caould get along quite well with volenteers and than trim the fat on the street department.

Your taxes should go for two pension Pete's pensions and all the dual job holders. Just sit back and keep on paying it is business a usual in Harrison.

What happens to Pete's pensions if something should happen to him? Does his wife get any part or all of them?

Talk about too many people in one department? How about the Violation Department? What do they have 10 or 11 people making in the $60's? There is another that needs to be cut. Again the place to cutt is in the town hall. This is where all the big bucks are going for salaries. We doo need the Police. Even if they don't do much, but we need them. Fire department we caould get along quite well with volenteers and than trim the fat on the street department.

And we all know theres alot of FAT in the street dept.

So heartless, so very heartless!

your point is taken but!!! lets talk about(choices) leading with your chin....

when you choose the public as your employer ,your choice is made .. this kind of stuff happens.

if you cannot take (a left) cruel judgements or (a right) criticism from the public .(don't box)

stay away, kinda goes with the territory,

don't enter the political arena. enough said.

So, umm let me guess, 3rd grade?

YEARS AGO, THERE WERE ONLY 3 FULL TIME LIBRARY EMPLOYEES; 2 WOMEN AND 1 MAN; PLUS 2 P/T HIGH SCHOOL WORKERS AND THE LIBRARY WAS OPEN TIL 9PM. HOW ABOUT HAVE 1 FULL TIME EMPLOYEE AT THE LIBRARY LIKE KEARNY DOES AND THE REST PART-TIME? PLUS DO WITH 'LESS' FULL TIMERS IN TOWN HALL ETC. & HAVE MORE PART-TIMERS? THAT SHOULD SAVE TAX PAYERS' MONEY AND STILL GET THE WORK DONE.

YEARS AGO, THERE WERE ONLY 3 FULL TIME LIBRARY EMPLOYEES; 2 WOMEN AND 1 MAN; PLUS 2 P/T HIGH SCHOOL WORKERS AND THE LIBRARY WAS OPEN TIL 9PM. HOW ABOUT HAVE 1 FULL TIME EMPLOYEE AT THE LIBRARY LIKE KEARNY DOES AND THE REST PART-TIME? PLUS DO WITH 'LESS' FULL TIMERS IN TOWN HALL ETC. & HAVE MORE PART-TIMERS? THAT SHOULD SAVE TAX PAYERS' MONEY AND STILL GET THE WORK DONE.

Yes, well this isn't years ago. This is now and the Library has never been better. Years ago they didn't have a children's room, everything was on one floor. Years ago there were no computers, now there are 29 with open free public access.

You must be someone with a very limited ability to deal with truth. Kearny Library (there are two, the Main Library and the Branch Library) has twice as many employees as Harrison does. Where do you get your information?

Why you insist on taking shots at the Library is beyond comprehension! It is the most economical resource in Town. The people who work there aren't paid very much.

Why don't you research the facts before you post this nonsensical drivel?

Yes, well this isn't years ago. This is now and the Library has never been better. Years ago they didn't have a children's room, everything was on one floor. Years ago there were no computers, now there are 29 with open free public access.

You must be someone with a very limited ability to deal with truth. Kearny Library (there are two, the Main Library and the Branch Library) has twice as many employees as Harrison does. Where do you get your information?

Why you insist on taking shots at the Library is beyond comprehension! It is the most economical resource in Town. The people who work there aren't paid very much.

Why don't you research the facts before you post this nonsensical drivel?

Go on

line and see how much some of them make and they are definely over loaded with workers like other depts. I say take a few from each dept thats the only fair way.

Go on

line and see how much some of them make and they are definely over loaded with workers like other depts. I say take a few from each dept thats the only fair way.

It is time to trim the fat where the fat is, for instance, the town hall workers, the street dept and so on and stop picking on the poor crossing guards who make the least of them all. And who works in the library now? I haven't been in there in 40 years. When I was akid there were 2 workers, a lady librarian and that man. Now is it true that there are 7 or 8 workers there? Who are they and what do they make? If the guy pushing the barrel with the broom makes over 60k I wonder what they make in the library?

So let me get this straight the town is going to give all of it's employees their retro checks, totaling millions and millions of dollars. Then they are going to start the lay off process. Wow!!

It is time to trim the fat where the fat is, for instance, the town hall workers, the street dept and so on and stop picking on the poor crossing guards who make the least of them all. And who works in the library now? I haven't been in there in 40 years. When I was akid there were 2 workers, a lady librarian and that man. Now is it true that there are 7 or 8 workers there? Who are they and what do they make? If the guy pushing the barrel with the broom makes over 60k I wonder what they make in the library?

The guy pushing the barrel with the broom has been on the job for 40 years. You should be so reliable!

The guy pushing the barrel with the broom has been on the job for 40 years. You should be so reliable!

If all I need to do is cash a paycheck, hell yeah. Give me that job anyday. There are very few skilled employees at the DPW. A few, not many. Not to say the rest do not possess skills - just none for the job they take my tax dollars for.

What does Mr Reliable do, exactly?

Yes ***** [the man pushing the barrel with the broom] is the best worker in the dept. He is reliable and does a good job. Can't say that for the rest of them.

Let's not look at the lady in the library, or the guy with the broom, let's look at the guy with the secret job. How can the town justify giving $60,000 to a guy who calls himself the deputy mayor, when no such position exists? The period of time that a person has on the job has always been a big nut in Harrison. Usually there is a salary range, IE a secretary $30,000 to $50,000. When raises are given, the range should change IE $30,000 to $55,000. This means for all secretaries. In Harrison we find ourselves with some secretaries making more than $100,000. Where else can a secretary go and make that money. Why do we have to reward a person for being employed for forty years? A secretary is a secretary, is it not. In Harrison the biggest money drain comes when a new position is created. Example, a building inspector, we start him at $100,000 a year. Where does one with a high school education, no specific skills, start a job at $100,000? I am not pointing the finger at anyone who works for a living, but the mayor and council have an attitude that if it's a family member or a close friend the salary should be higher. That's all well and good when the state is paying the bills by the means of an Abbott district, or special aid to distressed cities, but this has to stop if the taxpayer is picking up the tab. Political patronage is rampant in every town, but Harrison has a patent on it. Just ask the chief janitor at the school what he has done to earn a $100,000 job with no experience or education. Ask the BOE why we need a doctor to run the school system at $250,000 when many surrounding towns have better systems with cheaper costs. We can all point to someone who is receiving a huge salary for a job that wouldn't pay that amount anywhere than in Harrison. When they lay off the guy with the secret job, than we can take layoffs seriously. Until then it's just business as usual.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Let's not look at the lady in the library, or the guy with the broom, let's look at the guy with the secret job. How can the town justify giving $60,000 to a guy who calls himself the deputy mayor, when no such position exists? The period of time that a person has on the job has always been a big nut in Harrison. Usually there is a salary range, IE a secretary $30,000 to $50,000. When raises are given, the range should change IE $30,000 to $55,000. This means for all secretaries. In Harrison we find ourselves with some secretaries making more than $100,000. Where else can a secretary go and make that money. Why do we have to reward a person for being employed for forty years? A secretary is a secretary, is it not. In Harrison the biggest money drain comes when a new position is created. Example, a building inspector, we start him at $100,000 a year. Where does one with a high school education, no specific skills, start a job at $100,000? I am not pointing the finger at anyone who works for a living, but the mayor and council have an attitude that if it's a family member or a close friend the salary should be higher. That's all well and good when the state is paying the bills by the means of an Abbott district, or special aid to distressed cities, but this has to stop if the taxpayer is picking up the tab. Political patronage is rampant in every town, but Harrison has a patent on it. Just ask the chief janitor at the school what he has done to earn a $100,000 job with no experience or education. Ask the BOE why we need a doctor to run the school system at $250,000 when many surrounding towns have better systems with cheaper costs. We can all point to someone who is receiving a huge salary for a job that wouldn't pay that amount anywhere than in Harrison. When they lay off the guy with the secret job, than we can take layoffs seriously. Until then it's just business as usual.

Harrison's "Days of Wine and Roses" is about over. They've been living on free money from the state and handing out huge salaries and patronage jobs for all the cronies. The starting salary for the school super. is just ridiculous for such a small district, but hey, it's free money in a big piggybank.

Let's hope the Christy administration will take a close look at how Harrison's been handing out state money to all the croniies.

Let's not look at the lady in the library, or the guy with the broom, let's look at ........ we can take layoffs seriously. Until then it's just business as usual.

You got that right brother! Let's take a look at all of 'em. We are the people employing them right?

Hey, I might not know a lot about running a town .... but apparently neither do the guys who are now.

If all I need to do is cash a paycheck, hell yeah. Give me that job anyday. There are very few skilled employees at the DPW. A few, not many. Not to say the rest do not possess skills - just none for the job they take my tax dollars for.

What does Mr Reliable do, exactly?

What about the guy who waters all the flowers isn't that a skill?

Yes ***** [the man pushing the barrel with the broom] is the best worker in the dept. He is reliable and does a good job. Can't say that for the rest of them.

He may be reliable and do a good job but not $60+/yr. What kind of skill is that to push a broom and show up wvery day. If I made that money I would show up every day also.

I will vote for you for mayor!