Ocean County Sheriff Candidate

Guest Unbelievable

Guest AP Pressman
I'm curious.  Does VG get his newspapers delivered nowadays! :huh:

I think I read that there is a shortage of newspaper deliverymen in the shore area. Seems they are afraid to step out of their trucks for fear of being run over. :lol::P

I think I read that there is a shortage of newspaper deliverymen in the shore area.  Seems they are afraid to step out of their trucks for fear of being run over. :P  :D

You are baaaad! You KILL me! :lol:

One little incident. So long ago. But it'll be brought up as election time comes near. That, and other things!

Guest Inquiring Minds
You are baaaad!  You KILL me! :angry:

One little incident.  So long ago.  But it'll be brought up as election time comes near.  That, and other things!

What is the incident you speak of? Could it be that bad? How long ago was this incident? Why is it that so many people apparently don't like him?

Can someone please enlighten us people on the outside!?

I remember him as a detective when I was a kid. He was a jackass, unpersonable and he dressed funny. He thought everyone was on drugs or up to no good. It's been a while since I last saw him. He couldn't have changed that much I guess. What's his hook in Ocean County? What can he possibly think he can do down there? If he's the same person he washe better brush up on his social skills.

Guest NJ Lottery
What is the incident you speak of?  Could it be that bad?  How long ago was this incident? Why is it that so many people apparently don't like him?

I remember him as a detective when I was a kid.  He was a jackass, unpersonable and he dressed funny.  He thought everyone was on drugs or up to no good.  It's been a while since I last saw him.  He couldn't have changed that much I guess.  What's his hook in Ocean County?  What can he possibly think he can do down there?  If he's the same person he washe better brush up on his social skills.

Heres a good number to play for the pick 4 tonite ------- 1960!

• 1 month later...
Vin,

Good luck in the election.  Don't pay any mind to the predictions, youre the man.  Too bad youre not running the HPD.  At least you werent on the mayors chain.

Your right, this man left when he saw what was realy happening in Harrison, Hudson County, Corruptville I call it. Good luck Mr. Greene.

Guest Be Happy
What is the incident you speak of?  Could it be that bad?  How long ago was this incident? Why is it that so many people apparently don't like him?

I remember him as a detective when I was a kid.  He was a jackass, unpersonable and he dressed funny.  He thought everyone was on drugs or up to no good.  It's been a while since I last saw him.  He couldn't have changed that much I guess.  What's his hook in Ocean County?  What can he possibly think he can do down there?  If he's the same person he washe better brush up on his social skills.

:o

Just be happy you were not his paper delivery boy!!!!

Guest STAR LEDGER BOY
He don't have a snowball's chance in hell!

Too many people don't like him up here; they got the goods on him too!

SHERIFF POLEMUS IS 250 YEARS OLD AND WILL STILL WIN BY A 3-1 MARGIN.

LIKE YOUR SOCIAL LIFE, LET YOUR POLITICAL ASPIRATIONS DIE, NO PUN INTENDED..

"I JUST KILL ME"

w-u-CUPCAKE

• 4 weeks later...
Guest son of paperboy

CHECK IT OUT - VG'S AT IT AGAIN!

EXTREEE - EXTREEE - READ ALL ABOUT IT..............LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30th Ocean County Observer

E-mail article Print article Subscribe

Sheriff hopeful says time for a change

Posted by the Ocean County Observer on 10/30/06

BY DON BENNETT

STAFF WRITER

TOMS RIVER — Charging "politics and cronyism" have created a "closed department," Democrat Vincent "Ray" Greene is promising a full audit if he is elected Ocean County's Sheriff on Nov. 7.

He also wants to take the limits off Sheriff's Officers whom he claims Republican William L. Polhemus has imposed.

"They have no ticket books. They can't write tickets," said Greene, of Barnegat, who retired as police chief in Harrison.

Greene said he will bring job rotation, posted job openings and performance evaluations to the department.

"There's a morale problem. You get stuck in the courts, it's boring," he said.

Greene said a $90,000 boat acquired with federal Homeland Security funds "hasn't gone out much," and is docked next to four State Police boats in Lacey Township near the Oyster Creek nuclear plant.

The boat is designed for use by the sheriff's SWAT team as part of the effort to secure Oyster Creek.

"That boat's not going to help Oyster Creek," Greene said, saying the most likely attack would come from the air.

The shelter over spent nuclear fuel rods at Oyster Creek is susceptible to an air attack, he said.

While planes based at Robert J. Miller Airpark in Berkeley Township are secured, those at Lakewood Airport are not, he said.

Greene said he now works part-time trying to get law enforcement agencies accredited by an association of police chiefs.

That would save Ocean County money on liability insurance and increase productivity because 146 standards have to be followed to be accredited, he said.

He would also form a neighborhood task force including the Prosecutor's Office and local police to focus on special problems.

"I talked to the new prosecutor and he's interested," Greene said of defense attorney S. Karl Mohel, the Democrat likely to succeed Prosecutor Thomas F. Kelaher.

He said he tried to meet with Sgt. John Bordonaro, who is president of the PBA local representing the Sheriff's Officers, but he refused to meet.

Bordonaro was recently promoted to sergeant.

"He kept his mouth shut. He's a good old boy," Green charged.

Greene said the sheriff spent half a million dollars on a DNA lab that is not operational, promising to put it to work if he is elected.

And he claims the sheriff's budget is "padded" and up 20 percent from a year ago.

Last year he said Polhemus returned $1.1 million to the county from his budget despite his claims he needs more officers, Greene said.

He cannot get information from the sheriff, or a copy of the county's emergency management plan, he said.

"I'll check everything," Greene promised, adding "the PBA may not like me."

Increasing numbers of arrests of people sought on non-support and criminal warrants are "no biggie. They're easy arrests," he said.

In addition to challenging the need for the homeland security boat, Greene said he will look at the number of cars operated by the Sheriff's Department and how they are used.

The boat, he said, is only "good for photo ops."

Because he is retired, Greene said he would serve without raises, pension or health benefits.

And after two terms he said he would not seek a third.

E-mail article Print article Subscribe

Well well, Vince is stirring the pot in Barnegat and Ocean County. I read the article about him today in the Ocean County Observer. The audacity of that goddamn a**wipe. He left the HPD on less than amicable terms. He was was pretty much forced out after he got out of control. Now he's running for sheriff in Ocean County. Unbelievable! He wants to turn the OCSD around and make it legit. Like he was a straight arrow when he ran the show in Harrison.

Some people just don't know when to quit. Enjoy your retirement, your grandkids (if they still talk to you) and your hefty pension (you f-ing hypocrite!) Stay out of police work. You had you shot at HPD and you blew that - BIG TIME! :lol:

If somebody can d/l the article onto this page it would be great - so everyones knows what I'm talking about, and so everyone realizes that leopards don't change their spots, they just move to south jersey and hope they can sneak in under the radar. Not this time Vincent RAY!

Guest Ramon Verde Jr.

My daddy is the best cop in the world, he would make the bestest sheriff every. He just wants to make sure that all the cars that are being used properly and not driving around in snow storms.

Well it didn't take long. See for yourself!

Nice going RAMON VERDE - you done us proud!

Candidate sent phony endorsement to newspaper

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/31/06

BY ZACH PATBERG

MANAHAWKIN BUREAU

The Democratic candidate for Ocean County sheriff has admitted submitting to the Asbury Park Press a phony letter to the editor endorsing him in the Nov. 7 general election.

The e-mailed letter was not published, and the candidate, Vincent Greene, said he wrote it out of frustration with the lack of news coverage of the sheriff's race and himself.

But Greene's admission didn't come until after he insisted twice on Friday that someone else had written the letter, and later confirmed to the campaign manager for the county Democrats he did send the letter.

The letter was signed "Ramon Verde," and Greene said initially that Verde is an uncle who has lived with Greene for a couple of years. Later Friday, when approached at his home in Barnegat, Greene said "Uncle Ramon" was in Atlantic City.

When pressed further, Greene said Verde is a pseudonym for a friend from his days in the Navy who was visiting from Florida. The friend was not at the house late Friday afternoon, said Greene, who would not disclose the friend's real name. At that point, Greene denied writing the letter himself.

It was not until about 8:30 p.m. Friday that Marta Harrison, county Democratic campaign manager, confirmed that Greene wrote the letter himself and now regretted the decision.

"He did send it in under a rather transparent alias to bring some information to the race," Harrison said. "In retrospect, he realizes it was not the smartest thing in the world."

The name "Ramon Verde" could be translated from Spanish to English as "Raymond Green." Greene often goes by the nickname Ray, even listing his name as Vincent (Ray) Greene on the county clerk's 2006 primary election candidate list.

Greene said Monday that he wrote the letter because he was frustrated at the lack of coverage he had gotten from the paper, contending he had requested an interview with the paper's editorial board and was rebuffed.

"(Those) were my issues and I wanted to get them out there," he said of the bogus endorsement letter. "You weren't giving me any press at all. Now when you think you got a negative story in favor of the Republicans, you're going to print it."

Greene, 67, a former Harrison police chief, is challenging Republican Sheriff William Polhemus, 77, who is seeking re-election.

Scheduling difficulties

Randy Bergmann, the editorial page editor for the Press, said he had tried to coordinate a date for Greene and Polhemus to be interviewed together on three separate occasions.

On the first two attempts, Polhemus canceled. On the third try, Bergmann said, Greene gave the date of Oct. 23 as the only day he could meet with the board before the Nov. 7 election. The editorial board already had another set of candidates scheduled then, Bergmann said.

"At that point we kind of threw up our hands and said if that was the only time he could make it, there was no point in rescheduling again," he said.

Greene's phony endorsement letter followed two others submitted to the paper, one from him sent on Oct. 10 and one from his wife, Genevieve, on Oct. 12.

The phony letter-to-the-editor begins, "I am supporting Vince Greene for Ocean County Sheriff." It then lists several actions Greene would take if elected. All three letters list the same telephone number and e-mail address.

Bergmann said the paper plans to print the Oct. 10 letter on Wednesday.

Polhemus on Monday declined to comment beyond saying "that's a personal thing he did."

Democratic Party leaders expressed surprise.

"I find that hard to believe," said Barbara Truncellito, a board member for the Democratic Club of Long Beach Island. "We have a whole letter-writing campaign in Ocean County. We have people to write letters for him.

"There'd be no reason for him to do that," she added. "It's just bizarre."

Staff writer Hartriono B. Sastrowardoyo contributed to this story.

Text Size:|| E-mail Print Subscribe E-mail Alerts Related news from the Web

Latest headlines by topic:

• US News