New Plus

Guest Guest

I went into the store on the corner of Midland and Elm, News Plus is the name of it. I was looking for a magazine and couldn't find anything I wanted. The woman behind the counter asked me if I needed help and I said I was looking for some magazines, she asked what kind and I mentioned a few popular mags like Cosmo, Newsweek & Time...Well, she didn't have ANYTHING in English. There was an entire display of Spanish magazines and newspapers and ONE pile of the Daily News. Sad, very sad.

Guest Townsman
I went into the store on the corner of Midland and Elm, News Plus is the name of it.  I was looking for a magazine and couldn't find anything I wanted.  The woman behind the counter asked me if I needed help and I said I was looking for some magazines, she asked what kind and I mentioned a few popular mags like Cosmo, Newsweek  & Time...Well, she didn't have ANYTHING in English.  There was an entire display of Spanish magazines and newspapers and ONE pile of the Daily News.  Sad, very sad.

Yes, this is sad. It drives me nuts, especially in this small Irish/Scots Town of Kearny where my family has lived for over 80 years!!! (oh, and for the people that will write in about being culturally diverse and all that other BS, I mean no malice towards your language, culture, food, religion, dress and all the rest of that, so save it!!!)

But this is the direction this country is taking: Welcome to America, home of English as a second language!

Yes, this is sad. It drives me nuts, especially in this small Irish/Scots Town of Kearny where my family has lived for over 80 years!!! (oh, and for the people that will write in about being culturally diverse and all that other BS, I mean no malice towards your language, culture, food, religion, dress and all the rest of that, so save it!!!)

But this is the direction this country is taking: Welcome to America, home of English as a second language!

:angry: you got a GOOD POINT! BUT do not think its just jersey" here in fla we have the same problem! but look at the reason why! they out number us!!spansh speaking people have not done as mutch as us anglo about birth control! our moms and dads had 2/3 kids for the most part but that culture likes big familys!that is not a very bad thing just poor planning :rolleyes:

I went into the store on the corner of Midland and Elm, News Plus is the name of it.  I was looking for a magazine and couldn't find anything I wanted.  The woman behind the counter asked me if I needed help and I said I was looking for some magazines, she asked what kind and I mentioned a few popular mags like Cosmo, Newsweek  & Time...Well, she didn't have ANYTHING in English.  There was an entire display of Spanish magazines and newspapers and ONE pile of the Daily News.  Sad, very sad.

I thought it was just me... my husband and I were walking on Kearny Ave. one evening last spring, and decided to try a sandwich at that new "Hamburgoa" since we do occasionally try to sample foods of different nationalities, and were totally turned off to the fact that the menus were all in I guess their native lanquage, Brazilian I think. Well they too had several publications for sale, and we thought while having our sandwiches on the nicely set up tables outside, we could buy the newspaper and look through it... Well they only had "SPANISH" publications. My husband said something to the owner, and he rudely told us if we didn't like it don't come back, this was his business and he would have his menus in what language he desired, and would only have publications that his "CUSTOMERS" would buy and read... We said "well what do you think we are"???? Needless to say, we left our half eaten sandwiches, paid what we owed, and left. I have to honestly say we will never again frequent his or any other business in this area that cater to only people of immigrant status... THIS IS AMERICA, AND THERE SHOULD BE LAWS that allow anyone to own a business, but are required to run so that we AMERICANS feel comfortable in our own COUNTRY. They have to face facts, without our government offering them loans, and making AMERICAN money, they wouldn't have what they have.... Come on we all have to write our politicians, and take back our country.... I can see in another 20 or so years, we will be required to learn the Spanish language or we will be breaking the law....

Every English speaking American should write and e-mail every politician that represents them or runs to reperesent them that English should be made the official language of the United States before it is too late and Spanish is voted in as the official language. English is the unofficial, universal language of the whole world. What is wrong with us?

I thought it was just me...  my husband and I were walking on Kearny Ave. one evening last spring, and decided to try a sandwich at that new "Hamburgoa" since we do occasionally try to sample foods of different nationalities, and were totally turned off to the fact that the menus were all in I guess their native lanquage, Brazilian I think.  Well they too had several publications for sale, and we thought while having our sandwiches on the nicely set up tables outside, we could buy the newspaper and look through it... Well they only had "SPANISH" publications. My husband said something to the owner, and he rudely told us if we didn't like it don't come back, this was his business and he would have his menus in what language he desired, and would only have publications that his "CUSTOMERS" would buy and read... We said "well what do you think we are"????  Needless to say, we left our half eaten sandwiches, paid what we owed, and left.  I have to honestly say we will never again frequent his or any other business in this area that cater to only people of immigrant status...  THIS IS AMERICA, AND THERE SHOULD BE LAWS that allow anyone to own a business, but are required to run so that we AMERICANS feel comfortable in our own COUNTRY.  They have to face facts, without our government offering them loans, and making AMERICAN money, they wouldn't have what they have.... Come on we all have to write our politicians, and take back our country....  I can see in another 20 or so years, we will be required to learn the Spanish language or we will be breaking the law....

Don't bother to write to a politician because they won't do anything. The strongest message that can be sent is your vote. The only thing politicians understand is votes. But the main thing to do is vote for a third choice and send a message. The people are looking for a leader someone that is intouch with the"maim stream" American. People that immigrate to America are supposed to assimilate Into our culture. What is going on will only polerize people and make things worse then they are. The key issue here is respect for each other and the ability to learn from each other. We need to exercise this for true harmony.

Guest hamburgao regular
I thought it was just me...  my husband and I were walking on Kearny Ave. one evening last spring, and decided to try a sandwich at that new "Hamburgoa" since we do occasionally try to sample foods of different nationalities, and were totally turned off to the fact that the menus were all in I guess their native lanquage, Brazilian I think.  Well they too had several publications for sale, and we thought while having our sandwiches on the nicely set up tables outside, we could buy the newspaper and look through it... Well they only had "SPANISH" publications. My husband said something to the owner, and he rudely told us if we didn't like it don't come back, this was his business and he would have his menus in what language he desired, and would only have publications that his "CUSTOMERS" would buy and read... We said "well what do you think we are"????  Needless to say, we left our half eaten sandwiches, paid what we owed, and left.  I have to honestly say we will never again frequent his or any other business in this area that cater to only people of immigrant status...  THIS IS AMERICA, AND THERE SHOULD BE LAWS that allow anyone to own a business, but are required to run so that we AMERICANS feel comfortable in our own COUNTRY.  They have to face facts, without our government offering them loans, and making AMERICAN money, they wouldn't have what they have.... Come on we all have to write our politicians, and take back our country....  I can see in another 20 or so years, we will be required to learn the Spanish language or we will be breaking the law....

Hey, what menu were you looking at. Hamburgao at 282 Kearny Avenue is the best. Their menu is in English and Portuguese. What were you looking at? Hamburgao (Portuguese for hamburger) is great. You must be a competitor. The place is one of highlights of Kearny Avenue. Great food at reasonable prices and a bright and cheerful atmosphere. They have traditional hamburgers done with a flare of Brazilian spice. Try the California Beef #4 on the menu its Bread, steak, mozzarella, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and pineapple. (I copied that off their menu... in English I must say) Their burgers are huge and come in a little plastic bag holder so your hands don't get dirty.

If you want something more "healthy" try the Healthy Sandwiches... #1 Whole wheat bread, chicken, ricotta cheese and carrot. There are other variations.

I highly recommend Hamburgao. They also deliver which is great!

Their coffees are excellent as well. Cappucino, Expresso and Regular "American" coffee.

My wife and I go their at least once a week. They also have croquets and pastries stuffed with all sorts of stuff including shrimp, ground meat, chicken, ham, bacon, and sausage.

We need more Hamburgaos in Kearny. The place is packed and for good reason: The atmosphere and food are great.

AMEN!

Hey, what menu were you looking at.  Hamburgao at 282 Kearny Avenue is the best.  Their menu is in English and Portuguese.  What were you looking at?  Hamburgao (Portuguese for hamburger) is great.  You must be a competitor.  The place is one of highlights of Kearny Avenue.  Great food at reasonable prices and a bright and cheerful atmosphere.  They have traditional hamburgers done with a flare of Brazilian spice.  Try the California Beef #4 on the menu its Bread, steak, mozzarella, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and pineapple.  (I copied that off their menu... in English I must say) Their burgers are huge and come in a little plastic bag holder so your hands don't get dirty.

If you want something more "healthy" try the Healthy Sandwiches... #1 Whole wheat bread, chicken, ricotta cheese and carrot. There are other variations.

I highly recommend Hamburgao.  They also deliver which is great!

Their coffees are excellent as well. Cappucino, Expresso and Regular "American" coffee.

My wife and I go their at least once a week.  They also have croquets and pastries stuffed with all sorts of stuff including shrimp, ground meat, chicken, ham, bacon, and sausage.

We need more Hamburgaos in Kearny.  The place is packed and for good reason: The atmosphere and food are great.

So much for you accussing the other poster as a competitor, you must own pork chop hamburger shop.

I must say when they first opened I tried it and it was good. Since then I returned only to find myself stuck "down neck" feeling like the minority that non spanish speaking people have become. I felt unwanted and not given the attention that other customers, which I must add were speaking the lingo, were given!!

RIGHT ON THE MARK!!!!! Try to open a business as a middle class, white american CITIZEN. You will find it almost impossible, especially if you need start up cash. Yet, and I'm not just ragging on the spanish, I'm talking about Duncan Doughnuts, 7-11, WAWA, Gas stations, etc. The government throws money at these people.

As the Jersey Guys, on 101.5 FM tell us. Come voting time send a message to politicians by voting all incumbants out!

• 3 weeks later...
RIGHT ON THE MARK!!!!! Try to open a business as a middle class, white american CITIZEN. You will find it almost impossible, especially if you need start up cash. Yet, and I'm not just ragging on the spanish, I'm talking about Duncan Doughnuts, 7-11, WAWA, Gas stations, etc. The government throws money at these people.

As the Jersey Guys, on 101.5 FM tell us. Come voting time send a message to politicians by voting all incumbants out!

I would never do anything those idiots sugest.

• 7 months later...
Guest Danielle

Go across the street to Midland Dairy and stop complaining! Accept change cause it's gonna happen whether you like it or not. I am a first generation Scottish woman in Kearny. My family were immigrants from Scotland and moved here. Yes...all the Scottish people were immigrants too but you forget this because they're white and they speak English. I could sit here and be mad about the diverse community we have become...but why?! WHY?! They're here and they work. They provide you with a service. If it's not to your standards, there are plenty of other stores in town. But at least they are working and providing for their families. Not like most of the remaining Scots in town who are either the homeless or the local drunks. What great service do they pose for our society? Also, have any of you ever tried learning another language? It's not the easiest task in the world to accomplish. I certainly hope when you go overseas YOU are one of the Americans who are targeted for your high horse way of thinking. It's the people like you...(and I don't just mean whoever wrote this passage, but all of you) that make us look bad. We're all people...we live on the same planet and we all deserve the same amount of respect! As for the owner of Hamburgao? Good for him to tell you it's his business and he'll do what he likes. That's the freedom of America, no? You just basically called yourself out as a racist to his face. Good job, moron. That will get you real far in this current day and age. Now, I just stumbled on this site...and I probably won't again, so any responses are just amongst yourselves. Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's already happening!!!!! English is the second language...... I'm a descendent of the American Indian. I have been victim of corporate downsizing. I am currently laid off. I have been applying for jobs in the industry that I have been in for 15 years. The problem I have run into is ....... it is now required that you are bilingual. Forget my qualifications and the years of experience I have. If you do not speak another language they will not hire you. Now isn't that discrimination ?? Why shoud I have to learn another language when I was born and raised in AMERICA!!!!

Speaking "Brazilian"! What an ass you are! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

This thread is scaring me. I stumbled onto this thread by doing a search for hamburgao. I was trying to find the menu on-line to order. I'm an american transplant from Ohio. I've lived in the NY area for 9 years now and just moved to Kearny.

It scares me that you Kearny residents who are feeling like your town is being taken over don't even know what language the immigrants speak. Brazilians speak Portuguese. By the look of the number of houses with brazilian and portuguese flags around here, you'd think that some of the residents would have had enough exposure to know a little about these cultures.

Hamburgao is a fine place. It's affordable and the food is terrific. The waiters are very friendly and helpful. It's a casual place, so don't feel like you're in for a formal restaurant experience. Speak up, smile and ask for help! Ask a question about why they make their food with those ingredients, etc, and you'll quickly make a new friend and neighboor.

And by the way, irish immigrants were once looked down upon the same way, if not worse, by WASP America. It's a shame that we can't remember those lessons of assimilation as a society. This is what makes me so angry about this thread. REMEMBER WHERE YOUR ANCESTORS CAME FROM AND WHAT THEY HAD TO ENDURE SO THAT YOU COULD HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE!

I'm looking forward to my 18 month old son growing up here; going to Lincoln, Kearny High, playing SOCCER, and being exposed to many great cultures while still getting that "growing up in a small town" experience.

Guest Keith-Marshall.Mo

We have alot of the same problems here in Missouri. I don't have any problems with immigrants but I do have a BIG problem with illegal immigrants. I know first hand because my wife works in the food industry and illegals are rampant and many have forged papers. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the majority of them put absolutley nothing back into our community via property taxes etc. However they have no problem taking. We the taxpayers have to build school annexes and hire bilingual teachers. While they send all thier money back home to go life like a king when they go home in 5 or 10 years. They constantly go into stores and want to talk down the price of items then they want to balk on paying sales taxes. Many try to arrange "back door" cash sales to avoid sales taxes. Now the newspaper is putting completely spanish help wanted ads in the paper that most of us can't read.

Mexican roofers have swarmed the area and pretty much succeeded in putting local roofing contractors, mulit-generational family owned businesses out of business. One more thing, although it may be cultural, they will literally live twenty to a house , most of whom are working so they live fairly cheap. Instead of investing locally they send it all back home. Which next to tourism is the second leading economic boon to Mexico.They have no problem taking advantage of every social service availalable, food stamps, medicaid, housing and utility subsidies. Then, they dont' even try to learn english. Many understand plenty of english but only choose to speak it if it serves thier purpose. Many times at work when given assignments they don't like , suddenly they don't understand english anymore. Another pleasure that we have enjoyed in the last 5 years in our quiet little town something we've never had before...Gangs! My wife's ex is a cop and he sees the impact everyday, domestic violence etc. I have many friends who immigated here legally from various other countries and jumped through many hoops to do it. They played by the rules, pay thier way and help with the local tax base. They are pissed too. I could present many more examples of being taken advantage of but I'll refrain for now. One more thing my brother in law, who has been a carpenter for 30 yrs has lost his job because his company can't compete with the "Gypsies" anymore.

Keep in mind before slamming me with your response that I am talking about Illegal immigrants. If that makes me a racist as I'm sure some will call me, then so be it!

LOL - yeah, why speak "Brazilian" when you should be speaking "American".

Oh, how I weep for my country!!!

I think you missed the joke.

There is no such language as Brazilian. Brazilians speak Portuguese.

In fact, it's quite a good comparison to compare Brazilian Portuguese to American English--both basically the same language, but with a few minor changes here and there that developed in the 'second' country over time to make it sound just a bit different.

LOL - yeah, why speak "Brazilian" when you should be speaking "American".

Oh, how I weep for my country!!!

In some of the French provinces of Canada it is illegal for a business to have signs in English and not French. If you want oppressive laws about language you should move there.

This is America where people are free to put their signs, menus and magazines in their private businesses in any language they want. That's what freedom is all about. They have the freedom to use what language they want and you have the freedom to not be one of their customers.

!!spansh speaking people have not done as mutch as us anglo about birth control! our moms and dads had 2/3 kids for the most part but that culture likes big familys!that is not a very bad thing just poor planning  :)

Since you seem very much an intolerant old fart have you considered that you should probably be blaming the Catholic church for the lack of birth control among the spanish speaking community?

Since you seem very much an intolerant old fart have you considered that you should probably be blaming the Catholic church for the lack of birth control among the spanish speaking community?

:) oh dang you got me with that! :ph34r:

This is a national problem, just like Old Fart said. We got tv shows that are designed to teach little kids spanish on Nickelodeon. Not to long ago I recall them trying to add a spanish verse to the Star Spangled Banner. I understand that people like to speak their native language, and I think knowing more then one language is very beneficial. But when conducting business of any kind speak english. Think how much better everything would be if everyone could understand eachother. This country was founded by english speaking people and thats how it should be. And dont tell me its hard to learn another language, because my great-grandmother and my grandfather both came from Lithuania and they speak english when they are outside the house. They don't use their being from another country as a crutch cause they're either too lazy or too stubborn to learn the language. It isn't hard to find a place to teach you ESL. Churches do it and if you were really determined you could talk to a teacher. But learn the language or get out

In some of the French provinces of Canada it is illegal for a business to have signs in English and not French. If you want oppressive laws about language you should move there.

This is America where people are free to put their signs, menus and magazines in their private businesses in any language they want. That's what freedom is all about. They have the freedom to use what language they want and you have the freedom to not be one of their customers.

100% wrong. For the safety of emergency responders many towns in NJ and other states require, by ordinance, that business signage must be in English. If the business also wants to use a language of its choice in addition to English it may.

I think you missed the joke.

There is no such language as Brazilian. Brazilians speak Portuguese.

In fact, it's quite a good comparison to compare Brazilian Portuguese to American English--both basically the same language, but with a few minor changes here and there that developed in the 'second' country over time to make it sound just a bit different.

You missed the point. There is no such language as "Brazilian", the same as there is no such language as "American".

100% wrong. For the safety of emergency responders many towns in NJ and other states require, by ordinance, that business signage must be in English. If the business also wants to use a language of its choice in addition to English it may.

You are correct sir!

Archived