When Harrison was a great place to live!

Jimmy Hoffa

I can't seem to place the army navy store, Please were was this , I need to jump My Brain....Senior Moment here.....LOL

The army / navy store was on Harrison ave about three doors east of third st. across from what i had been told a long time ago there had at one time been a movie theater just around the corner was the underground candy store on third st.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The army / navy store was on Harrison ave about three doors east of third st. across from what i had been told a long time ago there had at one time been a movie theater just around the corner was the underground candy store on third st.

Army - navy store was west of Third St. I bought camping equiptment there when I was a kid. There was an old guy with white hair who ran it.

East of Third was Lerner's 5 and 10 cent store. And across the street was Thom McCann shoe store. Next to the town hall was the bank called "Peoples Security Savings."

The underground candy store was Frank Macrina's store that was at 9 So. 3rd St.

No one mentioned the biggest store in town. It was "FINK'S FURNITURE."

Guest Those were the days

One posted made a comment about respect. I too remember when in grammer shcool we had nothing but respect for our teachers, we would NEVER raise our voice to them!! When another teacher walked into the classroom you stood and greeted them!!! for the lose of that I blame the parents as well as the teachers - they should continue that and let the children know about respect!!! It is a shame to see these children have no respect for others and talked back to an elder! I remember all it took was a look from your teacher and you stopped what you were doing! I say bring back those days.

yea me too, I do not recall an army-navy store, I will have to seek info from my older friends and I am 64

Their was an ARMY NAVY Store on the bottom of the old Navy Recruiting station. It was a store, on Harrison avenue, right before Folgers Deli on HArrison and Davis Ave.

These two were there in the 70's and early 80's. Before they took down the recreation center and didnt put one up for almost 20 years. Next to the Recreation center was buildings leading up to the deli at the corner. The Deli is still there.

does anyone know about an 'early' movie theater in Harrison? was it between third and church square? on the side of the town hall, or on the side of the 5&10 store? I thought that the churches in town, especially Holy Cross, wouldn't allow a movie theater in town until around 1950 whem the Warner on Warren st. was put in.

does anyone know about an 'early' movie theater in Harrison?  was it between third and church square? on the side of the town hall, or on the side of the 5&10 store?  I thought that the churches in town, especially Holy Cross, wouldn't allow a movie theater in town until around 1950 whem the Warner on Warren st. was put in.

The post earlier is right I made a mistake the army navy store was west of third street and the old theater from what i had been told was directly across the street from the army navy store.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Ok I found this web site and these are the things I remember from living in Harrison until I was 11...I left in 1976.

Franks "underground" candy store

Warner Theater

Walking from Grant Avenue all the way to Lincoln Elementary

Going to Charlie's on Grant Ave. to get sliced meat for sandwhiches and he also wrote the prices on the bag

The IceCream/Soda Shop on Harrison Ave right by Holy Cross

Studio N on I think Frank Rogers Boulevard now?(who all took tap lessons from Johnny?)

Dominics in East Newark (Central Ave)

Pecters Jelly Doughnuts (yum)!

and going to Shop Rite in Kearny at 7:00am on Saturday morning to wash clothes at the landromat and go grocery shopping after!

** I went to Manhattan and stayed a week in 2004 and drove my parents and myself over to Harrison....my how it has changed! Some places are there and alot is gone or changed over to different things. We also drove up River Road and went to the North Arlington Diner-still great food! Of course downtown Newark (yes where our folks went to work in the late 60s and early 70s) has become a bombed out no mans zone...We drove over and drove right back....Saw the old Haines store is gone on Broad.

Thanks for all the memories folks! I sure miss them!

Guest "Harrisonianite"

I remember the "original" 6th Street playground (bet. Warren and Wilhelm) and the leather factory right next to it. It was huge! It has a giant shade house and later a shower. Thank god they knocked down the old bathrooms and put up new ones in the early 70's. Judging by the size of the flies, I don't think anyone ever flushed! The blocks across the street were RCA parking lots. We had alot of touch football and baseball games there.....progress s**ks!

Guest Guest
does anyone know about an 'early' movie theater in Harrison?  was it between third and church square? on the side of the town hall, or on the side of the 5&10 store?  I thought that the churches in town, especially Holy Cross, wouldn't allow a movie theater in town until around 1950 whem the Warner on Warren st. was put in.

The Movie Theater was where the Community Center is now. It closed about 30 years ago.

Guest guest
The Movie Theater was where the Community Center is now. It closed about 30 years ago.

No. I wasn't referring to 'that' theater; the Warner, on Warren & 4th St; built apprrox 1947 or so I heard.

I was referring to a 'small' one built in the early 1900's -1920's, someone mentioned it was around the Harrison Ave & 3rs St area. It probably had "silent pictures" only and lasted a few years, closing before 1925.

Ok I found this web site and these are the things I remember from living in Harrison until I was 11...I left in 1976.

Franks "underground" candy store

Warner Theater

Walking from Grant Avenue all the way to Lincoln Elementary

Going to Charlie's on Grant Ave. to get sliced meat for sandwhiches and he also wrote the prices on the bag

The IceCream/Soda Shop on Harrison Ave right by Holy Cross

Studio N on I think Frank Rogers Boulevard now?(who all took tap lessons from Johnny?)

Dominics in East Newark (Central Ave)

Pecters Jelly Doughnuts (yum)!

and going to Shop Rite in Kearny at 7:00am on Saturday morning to wash clothes at the landromat and go grocery shopping after!

** I went to Manhattan and stayed a week in 2004 and drove my parents and myself over to Harrison....my how it has changed!  Some places are there and alot is gone or changed over to different things.  We also drove up River Road and went to the North Arlington Diner-still great food!  Of course downtown Newark (yes where our folks went to work in the late 60s and early 70s) has become a bombed out no mans zone...We drove over and drove right back....Saw the old Haines store is gone on Broad.

Thanks for all the memories folks!  I sure miss them!

Wow...Charlies on Grant & Reynolds brings back alot of memories, I moved from Grant in the mid 70's. There was also John's Candy Store on the corner of 5th & Cross Street; I think that was the name anyway.

Anyone playing in the little league in the early 80's had to remember the "Dairy Delight" across the street....

Guest Guest
Wow...Charlies on Grant & Reynolds brings back alot of memories, I moved from Grant in the mid 70's. There was also John's Candy Store on the corner of 5th & Cross Street; I think that was the name anyway.

Anyone playing in the little league in the early 80's had to remember the "Dairy Delight" across the street....

I REMEMBER THE DAIRY DELIGHT, THEY NEED TO BRING BACK A GOOD ICE CREAM STORE.

Guest Guest

I moved off of Grant Avenue in July 76.... how ironic! I also remember the Candy store at Cross & 5th. If you went to Lincoln School then that was the store. Also I can remember the fish market up the street passed the candy store. That was the candy store that everyone went to after school or at lunch time. I can remember getting Green Apple bubble gum there.

Guest guest

This topic is so nice to read, I wasn't even alive but I can just imagine the way it was. My father grew up in Harrison and I called him to talk about your posts and he remembers many off the stores and things. It is nice to hear about the way the town was. I wish we could go back in time, it sounds like it was a great place to grow up.

I moved off of Grant Avenue in July 76.... how ironic!  I also remember the Candy store at Cross & 5th.  If you went to Lincoln School then that was the store.  Also I can remember the fish market up the street passed the candy store.  That was the candy store that everyone went to after school or at lunch time.  I can remember getting Green Apple bubble gum there.

Man, this topic makes me feel old.... I went to Lincoln too, also lived close to the school after moving from Grant. I spent alot of time in John's.

I had a great time living on Grant ave, I was young but it had everything a kid could ask for, corner store, huge lot to play in at the end of Grant and lots of other kids to play with. Remember the ramp to get on 280 was at the end of Grant...

By the way the Fish Market was Quincy's...

Guest Former Harrison Resident (1949-7

Nice memories. Here's a couple more thoughts:

The Plymouth / Chrysler dealer on Harrison between Patterson and Davis;

the convent on Harrison where the high school parking lot stands;

Cue Time on 4th, a guy named Stash ran it, he used to work at Yeager's;

the junk yard at the end of 5th near the VFW;

Dunphy's Hawaiian Palms on Cross and 4th;

Ben and Buck's on Cross;

Gast's clothes on 5th;

Friday night dances at the High School;

Father O'Brien, Father Cassidy, Father Lynch, Monsignor Costello (yes, Holy Cross);

the Police: Hoey, Gray, Maher, Saltzman, Mess, Pagano, Mulrenan.

Catrambone's, Carbone's, Ciffelli's

It was a good place to grow up, back then

Guest Walt_FL

Great Stuff! Great Post!

Pretzels at the candy store 5th & Cross near Mrs. Badginski's Lincoln School

Nate Comprelli & Mr. Ciccino's animated Stories (Pass the ball to Me, Allie!), Mr. Franco, & Mr. Lyons upstairs & Mr. Doyles 6th grade at Lincoln

Young Chow Fried Rice from The Ricksha Chinese on 3rd Street

Great Mussels & Italian Dishes from Angelo's on Harrison Ave, (Still?)

Mainly food, Hmmm...

Tootsie, Donny, and all the Senate Boys from the 3rd Street Pool Hall

The Soprano's scenery brings back memories of lower Kearny Ave, Satriales Meat Market was West Hudson Auto Parts, The Irish american Club, Big Stash's Subs (Still?)

The 3rd Street Pool Hall Rallying from down by 5 in the Bottom of the Ninth to beat the Ghetto Boys :P in West Hudson Park (Double Diamond) and Ghetto Boys hosting the Party for the Winners at Chee Chee's House (RIP) or was it Mikes House? (A good time was had by all)

Danny and Sal's Best Pizza in the World, Still! Danny's Pizzeria!

Dances at Washington school & Pizza at Catrambone's afterward on the Metal Platters

The Walt Mobile, 1963 Ford Falcon Convertible ($100 1st car) :lol:

Ben Gast on 4th Street, with Manley's Tavern on the Corner before Devastaing Fire.

How Frank (Nice Man) in his underground store near 3rd & Harrison Ave. would react if you asked for a Zagnut Bar...

BoxBall on William Street :D

Quarts of Beer in the White Paper/Cardboard Containers :blink:

Alice's = Best Subs in Town and The Ure Inn Next Door

Felix & Marie's Luncheonette on 3rd & Central Ave (Roast Beef w/ Gravy on Hard Roll)

Working at Pepe's Newstand on Broad & Market in Newark Saturday Nights

Pizza Sandwiches at BIG Nicks on Davis in Kearny

.30 Path Train Rides to Manhattan, Googies in the Village! McCann's Bar near Madison Square Garden

John's Bargain Basement Store on Harrison Ave, Two Guys (From Harrison)

Purcells Toy Store on Harrison Ave

Wanda's Bar, The End Zone, & Another Bar? Near Danny's Pizza (Beer & Pizza, a Culinary Delight / SurF & Turf)

The 38, 39, 40, & 41 River Road Bus Lines

The Pickle Smell of Heinzes Deli on Harrison Ave, Clinton Ice Teas

"Friends" on Patterson with Gumby, the Consumate Bartender

Standing Room Only Parties on "Bowling Night" in Judes Basement on Central Ave.

Polski's & The Candy Store?? across from the High School on Harrison Ave

Little Jimmy's Italian Ice Wood Truck

The Hideaway Bar & Grill on Washington Street

Going Up & Down the Streets in my mind...

Thanks For Sparking The Memories, Lets make More!

Walt K. aka "Dr. K" (Now Living Near Clearwater, Florida)

Ps. I am Always interested in Real Estate Investments that make sense in Harrison, Kearny, Newark, North Arlington, or North Jersey Area. Owner Finance Preferred (Great for Sellers Too!). 1975 Graduate of Harrison High. Walt K., PO Box 706, Largo, FL 33779-0706. Home Office(727)518-1484

Email= IBUYHOUSES@ij.net Ebay Id= IBUYHOUSES

• 9 years later...
Guest Kathy Mackie. (Nee, Lang)

I grew up in Harrison. It was the best place to,live....back in the day.

Remembering all the great places; Pete's Ice Cream Parlor, Weibotl's Ice Cream Parlor,

Meyer's Ice Cream Parlor, the O.K. Deli, Marc's Drugs, King Hoagies, DJ's Pizza, The Rickshaw,

Camelot Club, Harrison Fish n Chips, Carbones, Catrombones Pizza, Europa Restaurant,

Friday night dances all over town, Sadie Hawkins, football games, ice skating at JFK.

What great memories. I miss you all!

Guest Former Blue Tider

Remembering all the great places; Pete's Ice Cream Parlor, Weibotl's Ice Cream Parlor,

Meyer's Ice Cream Parlor, the O.K. Deli, Marc's Drugs, King Hoagies, DJ's Pizza, The Rickshaw,

Camelot Club, Harrison Fish n Chips, Carbones, Catrombones Pizza, Europa Restaurant,

Friday night dances all over town, Sadie Hawkins, football games, ice skating at JFK.

Reading all these posts brings back memories of places I had totally forgotten. One thing I remember that I haven't seen mentioned here was the Halloween parades with the window painting contests. Store front windows up and down Harrison Ave.

were painted with spooky Halloween scenes with cash prizes awarded to the best ones. Another memory was walking home from the Warner movie in the summer down Harrison Ave. and smelling the sausage sandwiches at Louie the Sausage King on 3rd. St. just in from Harrison Ave. You couldn't pass 3rd. St. without buying a sausage, onion and potato sandwich on an Italian pizza roll.

Guest Guest

Carbones ! After all these years Carbones is still my favorite pizza

Guest Guest

How about: Kielb's Bakery

The Milk Bar

The Hi-Ho

Mustilli's Italian Ice

The Indian Trail (Great drinking spot!)

Smolski's Deli

Epafanio's Vegetable Stand

Dorsey's Roofing

The Sign Shop (next to Dorsey's. Where everyone got fake ID's)

Louie Tuber Eyeglasses

Mike Lipkins Newspaper Store

The Small A&P on North 4th. St

The 5 and10 across from Dorsey's Roofing (next to the bank)

The Phillips 66 Gas Station (next to Dunphy's)

The Shoemaker (on Central Ave. behind Marc's Pharmacy)

The Gas Station on Harrison Ave. Where Rt. 280 ended.

The Race Car Track Store (next to Edwiss on Harrison Ave.)

Mid-Town Cab Company

Hope I got the spellings right?

Guest Big Labowski

Carbones ! After all these years Carbones is still my favorite pizza

I've lived in Harrison for 70 years and knew all The Carbones. Just can't recall them owning a Pizzaria? If so, where was it located?