When Harrison was a great place to live!

Jimmy Hoffa

Here are just a few of the places I have remembered and have missed growing up in Harrison/ East Newark.

Alice's Sub Shop, up on 4th street, near Sherman Ave.

Danny's Pizzeria near the little League (Danny and Sal were great guys!)

Cerbones, down the other end of Harrison Ave, near 280.

Honey's Luncheonette on 4th Street, near Enzo's deli. Across the Street from there, was the Milk Machine, and Max Lasky the Dentist.

Underground Frank's candy store on 3rd street, towards OLC School. ( You walked down 3 stairs into the store, wich was in the basement of his home.

Argyle, and Thistle Fish and Chips on Kearny Ave, before Bergen. Cameron's Scottish Butcher on Kearny Ave, before Wilson Ave.

Thompson's fish and chips, owned by the Ostrom Family.

The Fish and Chips place on Central Ave, next to old PJ's Tavern.

Dominick's Ice Cream Store and newspaper store on Central Ave in East Newark.

Molly's Liquor store on Central ave. Owned by brother and sister Molly and Tony.

Rosie's Italian Hot Dog Store on Central and John Street.

The Candy store on the Corner of 5th and Cross Street, by Lincoln School.

Cappucino's Hardware store. ( I would think it was great, to go to the hardware store with no money, and get stuff for my grandfather, he had a account with them!)

The CETA office was upstairs for a while.

The Harrison Recreation Center - On Harrison and 6th Street.

Hinze Deli

Max's Diner

The Blue Castle- Down by Schuyler Ave

Vigor Soda, on Sanford Ave

Nick's Pizzeria, next to Cerbone's

All of these places I have just mentioned, and I am missing many many more. The common denominator that they all had was, they were family oriented, they cared about the kids and the people. I sense no more community. I stress community. True, times have changed, people pass away, move away. Its just sad that you walk through a town you grew up in, and the hardest part is, it looks as if people are just walking with their heads down, on their way to wherever it is they are going.

I miss the days when you went over to a friends house, knocked once, and you walked in. Or if you were walking down the street, people said hello from across the street. Now? Its different, it just seems like the "community" aspect of the town is gone down the tubes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are just a few of the places I have remembered and have missed growing up in Harrison/ East Newark.

Honey's Luncheonette on 4th Street, near Enzo's deli.  Across the Street from there, was the Milk Machine, and Max Lasky the Dentist.

Underground Frank's candy store on 3rd street, towards OLC School.  ( You walked down 3 stairs into the store, wich was in the basement of his home.

Argyle, and Thistle Fish and Chips on Kearny Ave, before Bergen.  Cameron's Scottish Butcher on Kearny Ave, before Wilson Ave.

Molly's Liquor store on Central ave.  Owned by brother and sister Molly and Tony.

Cappucino's Hardware store. ( I would think it was great, to go to the hardware store with no money, and get stuff for my grandfather, he had a account with them!)

Hinze Deli

Max's Diner

All of these places I have just mentioned, and I am missing many many more.  The common denominator that they all had was, they were family oriented, they cared about the kids and the people.  I sense no more community.  I stress community.  True, times have changed, people pass away, move away.  Its just sad that you walk through a town you grew up in, and the hardest part is, it looks as if people are just walking with their heads down, on their way to wherever it is they are going.

I miss the days when you went over to a friends house, knocked once, and you walked in.  Or if you were walking down the street, people said hello from across the street.  Now?  Its different, it just seems like the "community" aspect of the town is gone down the tubes.

Well said! I remember all the great places and people you mentioned. I hardly recognize Harrison anymore. I guess they saw if coming back in '79. The Harrison High School year book for that year was titled "The year of the Crunch". Now adays you don't even know who your neighbors are, let alone say hello. It's sad to see the towns continuing downward spiral. :lol::P

Guest Guest_ALWAYSBLUE_*

I was very fortunate to move to a small town on the jersey shore that has had a big a big influx of Harrisonians & Kearnyites of all different ages. Some I had known, most not, but once you hear that they are from your home town its like you've known them all your life. We share memories, laughs & catch up on all the gossip. When we see each other its like we are back in Harrison. Anytime one goes up north, the orders start flying for pecthers rye.

My husband who is not from Jersey cannot understand the BOND we all have....It actually annoys him. When we get together, its a click.....all talk shifts to north jersey. In our own way we are bringing the community that we grew up in & enjoyed to our new town.

In our hearts we will always be Harrisonians & kearnyites.

Well said! I remember all the great places and people you mentioned. I hardly recognize Harrison anymore. I guess they saw if coming back in '79. The Harrison High School year book for that year was titled "The year of the Crunch". Now adays you don't even know who your neighbors are, let alone say hello. It's sad to see the towns continuing downward spiral. :lol:  :P

I rememmber on the way to Washington School in the 60's, almost everybody would crowd into Mattie's candy store on the corner of Hamilton St. & 3rd St. before 9am & 1pm to get their candy up to a quarter.

Remember Mrs. Pitchiano, the girl's gym teacher. Washington had the old high school large gyms for boys & girls, but Lincoln school had no gym(at least the girl's didn't) only a small 2nd fl classroom. Yet both schools did equally well on 'field days' down at Kennedy Stadium in May. It's odd, with all of the 'increased' emphasis on sports these days, why did the schools do away with 'FIELD DAYS'? With the kids more overweight than ever, with kids having high cholesteral, more kids with adult diabeties 2, it is more necessary now than before, the bring back 'FIELD DAY", in order to motivate the kids to get off the couch, away from the TV & computer.

Honey's Luncheonette on 4th Street, near Enzo's deli.  Across the Street from there, was the Milk Machine, and Max Lasky the Dentist.

Underground Frank's candy store on 3rd street, towards OLC School.  ( You walked down 3 stairs into the store, wich was in the basement of his home.

Argyle, and Thistle Fish and Chips on Kearny Ave, before Bergen.  Cameron's Scottish Butcher on Kearny Ave, before Wilson Ave.

Molly's Liquor store on Central ave.  Owned by brother and sister Molly and Tony.

Hinze Deli

Max's Diner

All of these places I have just mentioned, and I am missing many many more.  The common denominator that they all had was, they were family oriented, they cared about the kids and the people.  I sense no more community.  I stress community.  True, times have changed, people pass away, move away.  Its just sad that you walk through a town you grew up in, and the hardest part is, it looks as if people are just walking with their heads down, on their way to wherever it is they are going.

I miss the days when you went over to a friends house, knocked once, and you walked in.  Or if you were walking down the street, people said hello from across the street.  Now?  Its different, it just seems like the "community" aspect of the town is gone down the tubes.

LET BRING HARRISON BACK, WHEN YOU ARE WALKING DOWN THE STREET JUST SAY HI TO PEOPLE WETHER YOU KNOW THEM OR NOT.

I was very fortunate to move to a small town on the jersey shore that has had a big a big influx of Harrisonians & Kearnyites of all different ages. Some I had known, most not, but once you hear that they are from your home town its like you've known them all your life. We share memories, laughs & catch up on all the gossip. When we see each other its like we are back in Harrison. Anytime one goes up north, the orders start flying for pecthers rye.

My husband who is not from Jersey cannot understand the BOND we all have....It actually annoys him.  When we get together, its a click.....all talk shifts to north jersey. In our own way we are bringing  the community that we grew up in & enjoyed to our new town.

If you want to see some more memories go to the HAVE YOU HEARD topic and click on the pages 2-4 you'll get a ick out of some of the postings

My husband who is not from Jersey cannot understand the BOND we all have....It actually annoys him.  When we get together, its a click.....all talk shifts to north jersey. In our own way we are bringing  the community that we grew up in & enjoyed to our new town.

If you didn't leave the town would be the same .Some of us stayed.There still is sense of community,but you're not a part of it.Remember Newark too was a great city.everybody left.I still have great memories of my childhood in Harrison.Reading all these remembrances,you can almost tell when people grew up by their memories.Here's three more:

getting your communion suit in Cundari's..looking for the the flag with the ball at west hudson park so you knew the ice was frozen....purcell's toy store on Harrison Ave.

look at Harrison now, it has many of those immigrant phone stores, check cashing places, and and do you see the walks of life walking around now. Where are all the indians coming from? they stink!!!!! not what it used to be!!!! too much diversity now. Just keep remembering the good old days because now its a 3rd world country.

Guest Harrison guest

What is the town you mention down the shore that has picked up a lot of Harrisonians? How is the public and municipal bus transportation for seniors who don't drive? The Harrison town hall still offers daily rides for seniors to the doctors, and 2 five all-day senior buses. Do they have that in your town? I'd like to move down, but don't drive and have no close family, need to be able to get to store, doctors, post office, church etc.

My Gosh! Memory Lane has made it's way to KOTW...NO ANGER here! How uplifting it is to read these postings.

For us Garden / Franklin Ave people:

*Mattie's with the jukebox / pinball machine / soda fountain / "winners" in the gumball machine.

*Mike's meat market - Good ole Pop!

*Joe's candy store

*Betty's (The "middle" store)

*The store on Kingsland / Harrison

*Jacksons bar / laundrymat / banquet hall -The Mom, Dad and 2 daughters (Eleanor taught me how to fold fitted sheets)

*Ed's on Kingsland / Hamilton - getting the brown bag full with "PENNY" candy

*Freida's (Schuyler / Harrison)

*WALKING to school - Yes, ALL the way to other side of town.

*Ziwalik's bar (spelling-?) Harrison / Franklin

*End Zone

*John's candy store on 5th / Cross Street his missing finger :)

*Playing kick the can

*Hide the belt

*German - Sherman machine gun

*stick ball

*wiffle ball

*The "tunnel" in the gardens (Red light-Mary May I)

*The seal shower, and the boys getting the girls wet, and rolling them in the dirt at Santos yard (the end of 7 building, which is the building I too lived in)

*The good 4th of July block parties, Mr. Kearns / Mr. McGirr having their GREAT fireworks! (God rest their souls)

*F*&*&* Lucy (as she was so affectionately known - God rest her soul)

I go "home" now, and it's just not the same....BUT, it will ALWAYS be "HOME" in my heart. Like they say "You take me out of the gardens but, you can't take the gardens out of me". I have bought alot of my values with me to my new neighborhood, one that when I first moved in they didn't even know each other. Now, we have block parties, visit with each other, and watch out for each other...these are "ASSESTS" I got by growing up in Harrison Gardens, Harrison, NJ!

B)

luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

Guest Another Gardens kid
My Gosh! Memory Lane has made it's way to KOTW...NO ANGER here! How uplifting it is to read these postings.

*Mattie's with the jukebox / pinball machine /  soda fountain / "winners" in the gumball machine.

*Joe's candy store

*Jacksons bar / laundrymat / banquet hall -The Mom, Dad and 2 daughters (Eleanor taught me how to fold fitted sheets)

*End Zone

*John's candy store on 5th / Cross Street his missing finger  :)

*Playing kick the can

*Hide the belt

*stick ball

*wiffle ball

*The seal shower, and the boys getting the girls wet, and rolling them in the dirt at Santos yard (the end of 7 building, which is the building I too lived in)

*The good 4th of July block parties, Mr. Kearns / Mr. McGirr having their GREAT fireworks! (God rest their souls)

I go "home" now, and it's just not the same....BUT, it will ALWAYS be "HOME" in my heart. Like they say "You take me out of the gardens but, you can't take the gardens out of me". I have bought alot of my values with me to my new neighborhood, one that when I first moved in they didn't even know each other. Now, we have block parties, visit with each other, and watch out for each other...these are "ASSESTS" I got by growing up in Harrison Gardens, Harrison, NJ! 

B) 

luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

I remember as a 17 year old, getting an older guy (21 or older) to buy us containers of Schaffer beer in Zuwalik's and drinking them on Franklin Ave while watching out for police cars coming down the street. I think the containers were 35 cents.

*Mattie's with the jukebox / pinball machine /  soda fountain / "winners" in the gumball machine.

*Joe's candy store

*End Zone

*John's candy store on 5th / Cross Street his missing finger  :)

*Playing kick the can

*Hide the belt

*stick ball

*wiffle ball

B) 

luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

Yes We Who grew up in the days spoken about on this site did grow up with Values and have brought them on in life with us to this day , it is a shame the kids of today don't have them, well i should not say all the kids of today but very few of them today don't have any values what so ever....To bad there isn't a button we could push and bring them back to our days as kids....Boy they don.t know what they are missing....Keep bringing on Your Memories , it is so great to come on this site and read everyones memories of Yesterday........This town used to be a beautiful town People would go out and sweep their sidewalks and the gutters and keep their neighborhood clean...There was pride in this town I don't see it anymore.....And I miss it....You would love to go out for walks and see people, everyone just about knew everyone.....The streets were lined with Beautiful Trees....Every Streeet that is , not no more..they are chopping them down and the ones that are left are pretty sick looking from being butchered.....What a shame....and people wonder why there is so much repatory problems today...NO TREES TO CLEAN THE AIR.....Take care everyone ....thanks for the memories...

I remember  as a 17 year old, getting an older guy (21 or older) to buy us containers of Schaffer beer in Zuwalik's and drinking them on Franklin Ave while watching out for police cars coming down the street. I think the containers were 35 cents.

LOL!! Schaeffer??? Whew, that's been along time!! You are showing your age :rolleyes:

I remember getting quarts of beer for I believe .90 cents...if memory serves me correctly.

Anyway they sure were the good ole' days. I only wish the kids today had 1/2 the respect for people that we had growing up.

I enjoy coming to the post and reading about "home", it's heart warming.

My e-mail address...I'm SURE I know MOST of the people who have posted on this topic, either them personally or a family member :angry:

Luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

getting served at the Lyceum by Gene at 16.

LOL!! Schaeffer??? Whew, that's been along time!! You are showing your age  :rolleyes:

I remember getting quarts of beer for I believe .90 cents...if memory serves me correctly.

Anyway they sure were the good ole' days. I only wish the kids today had 1/2 the respect for people that we had growing up.

My e-mail address...I'm SURE I know MOST of the people who have posted on this topic, either them personally or a family member :angry:

Luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

getting served by Gene at the Lyceum when I was 16. Schaeffer on tap for 25 cents.

LOL!! Schaeffer??? Whew, that's been along time!! You are showing your age  :rolleyes:

Luvbnmom1n1@aol.com

Pop at Mike's Market (Franklin and Harrison) used to mark the prices of your items on the bag and then add them up as fast as a calculator. I think the guy who sliced coldcuts at Mike's was named Frank.

Pop at Mike's Market (Franklin and Harrison) used to mark the prices of your items on the bag and then add them up as fast as a calculator. I think the guy who sliced coldcuts at Mike's was named Frank.

I remember Paul Berhefski who worked in that store. He and Tommy Kinsella and Tommy Fitz and a bunch of other guys started a boy scout troop in the gardens. They took us all camping and we got to shoot real guns.

I remember Paul, Carl Papiano, Egbert, and Kenny starting a box ball league in the circle at the gardens. I played for Bersh's Beans.

These guys and Colin Kearns also had a touch football league for the kids in the gardens, and a volleyball league in the Franklin Ave. playground.

They were better than Harrison Recreation in those days.

Guest Nuttynana
I remember  as a 17 year old, getting an older guy (21 or older) to buy us containers of Schaffer beer in Zuwalik's and drinking them on Franklin Ave while watching out for police cars coming down the street. I think the containers were 35 cents.

They still do that and also sell their Drugs too, Unfortunately, That is selling the drugs...Not that there wasn't any in Our Time but now it is totally out of control and there is some dangerous stuff out their.....You can buy drugs like it is candy.....

Guest Nuttynana
WOW you just took me way back to my childhood i lived above the army navy shop on Harrison ave what wonderful memories

I can't seem to place the army navy store, Please were was this , I need to jump My Brain....Senior Moment here.....LOL