Did You Hear?

Guest Guest

How about the Pool Room on third street, Smolski’s food store on 2nd and Hamilton, playing ball on both side of 280 right next to the Stickle Bridge , the dances at the Library, Hilenger’s (sp) penny candy store on John Street and Clara and Jimmy store on Second St between Central Ave and William street

How obout sleigh riding down the side hills of the stickle Bridge..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about goodman's on harrison ave. or the A&P's one on harrison ave ,now the senior citicens or the one on jersey and the blvd. before it was the milk bar and also the Dugan man delivering bread and donuts in the a. m.

how about rosemarts across from the high school. i can still remember louie chasing out the kids at lunch time, and don't forget polskys at harrison and sixth street.

yes i remember

the arcade in the mall and the wing han chinese rest. on 7th st.

QUOTE(me @ Jan 30 200

6, 11:28 PM)

how about rosemarts across from the high school. i can still remember louie chasing out the kids at lunch time, and don't forget polskys at harrison and sixth street.

yes i remember

THE A&P WAS THE GREATEST I REMEMBER GOING IN THERE FOR JANE PARKER CAKES IT THAT WAS THE NAME.WE AS KIDS WOULD ALL GO IN THERE IT WAS FUN.THEY WE MADE OUR WAY TO FRANKIES,AND TONY AND KATIES,AND HOW ABOUT KIELBS BAKERY WHERE WE LOVED TO SIT ON THE STOOLS AND SPIN FOR EVER WHILE WE EATING.GREAT CHILDHOOD MISS THAT ALOT.

Guest Guest_ALWAYSBLUE_*

yes i remember

How about Ed's grocery store on Cross & Patterson St., John's candy store up the block on 5th & Cross......My favorite Van Houlten's on No. 4th (FER).

Guest Guest_ALWAYSBLUE_*
THE A&P WAS THE GREATEST I REMEMBER GOING IN THERE FOR JANE PARKER CAKES IT THAT WAS THE NAME.WE AS KIDS WOULD ALL GO IN THERE IT WAS FUN.THEY WE MADE OUR WAY TO FRANKIES,AND TONY AND KATIES,AND HOW ABOUT KIELBS BAKERY WHERE WE LOVED TO SIT ON THE STOOLS AND SPIN FOR EVER WHILE WE EATING.GREAT CHILDHOOD MISS THAT ALOT.

Remember "SCHICKHAUS" on Harrison Ave., when the wind blew towards Harrison it was horrible....Yet that is the only bologna I will buy.

How about the Fish Market that used to be on N5TH. Street.    What an oder , I used to hate going there to get Fish for My Mom , You would smell like fish for the rest of the Day......

Because back then we HAD to eat fish EVERY friday....

Your feet sticking to the floor at warners theater and the owner yelling at us to

"GETTT OUTTT"

HOMEPLATE on on kearny ave with the crabby waitresses'

I recently saw a milk machine like what used to be on the corners at a museum.... did not make my day

Being terrorized by the h**** family... good times I tell ya

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Because back then we HAD to eat fish EVERY friday....

Your feet sticking to the floor at warners theater and the owner yelling at us to

"GETTT OUTTT"

HOMEPLATE on on kearny ave with the crabby waitresses'

I recently saw a milk machine like what used to be on the corners at a museum.... did not make my day

Being terrorized by the h**** family... good times I tell ya

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

The warner movies, I remember going there and some one always snuck someone in at the emergemcy exit door.....and also if you went on Certain nites you would get to start a set of dishes each week You would get a different piece until it was a complete set....also then we used to pitch baseball cards and shoot marbles...also bottle capsd.....We would play double dutch, Hop Scotch,,sorry about the spelling...Spud , hot potatoe, red light green light...good old hoola hoops...and so much more

Remember "SCHICKHAUS" on Harrison Ave., when the wind blew towards Harrison it was horrible....Yet that is the only bologna I will buy.

What about Pechters, That smell is Great and We still have it for now....The only thing wrong there now is the good old onion rolls are not so good any more...And Kielbs bakery had the best single serving pudding pies.....

If memory serves me right the fish and chip store across from the high school was Hoey's. The owner was a policeman in town and a real good softball pitcher. How about when the little league field was called "the carbarns" and only softball was played on it. And then there was Reynolds field where Kingsland Courts are now. I'm not sure but I think it was owned by Reynolds Metals which sat on the land across the street where the condos are now.Ahhh the memories.

Owned by a policeman, Who can remember the names of some of the Harrison Police men or all the names if possible.......When we were kids the police and firemen knew everyone by their first names and treated people well to....One officer I remember is Officer Grays,He's the one that rode the horse in the halloween parades...nice Guy I hope that is How You spell it , if Not I am sorry, I also Remember a captain Knowles,Walter Dow, Mr Holszhuh I think they were East newark thoughOfficer.Sweeny

Folks I'm really proud of you all. I knew there was more to Harrisonians than bitterness. All the posting bring back some fond memories. Hopefully something good can come from this.Keep it going. Here are some more for your perusal, the Hudson movie on Kearny Ave. Also the Regent movie up further on Kearny Ave., the local soccer teams like teams from the Harrison Gardens, the Entre Nous from East Newark and this before little league. As a matter of fact little league Baseball didn't come into being until 51" so I got 1 year. But we still had the grammer school leagues in soccer, basketball and baseball. Does the town still have these leagues? I also remember going to Lincoln school to see the dentist, I think his name was Cole, and this was part of being a resident. Some things really do change.

Yes the town does still have these leagues but most popular is the pee wee football leagues, the Jr. and Senior Leagues as well....Cheerleadin squads are also a big thing now to ....

Does anyone remember ,if You went to Holy Cross School. One day a week a dance teacher would come in and teach You how to Tap dance  We would all be in the Auditorium  and He would be on the stage, I believe His name was Jack He had a dance studio on 4th. street between Central and Davis Street.....And Then the Nuns wore their Habits....I don,t understand why they don't still dress that way.....I believe they got more respect from people then....

I think the dance teacher was Johnny Nucera...we didn't have that but we did have Mr. Pichini(SIC) every Fri. and then we'd have the "exibition" in May. We'd have potaoes sack races and maybe some dumbell twirling(LOL) or some kind of race. Of course there was always the choir practice for Sundays Mass. I think it was Mrs. Reynolds who ran that.

Yes Mustilli Italian Ices, They were the best...also Miss Paris She was a teacher and had a candy store on John Street and Cross street ...Boy She was the sweetest Woman, Then You had Julieo"s on Central ave in East newark....Dick The Fish on Central Ave  He had the greatest fish dinners.and were also great people.....I can't remember the name of the little Scotts Bakery that used to be on Central Ave between 3rd. street and 4th, used to go there quite often for their meatpies, mmmmm....mmmmmmGood.

I believe the name of the scotish bakery on centrl ave was the caldonian..i remember going there early on sat. mornings when the jelly donuts were still hot. There was also a bakery on 4th street between central and cross called coopers. they had great jelly donuts also but they were covered with granulated sugar not powered like the caldonians were.

How about the Two Guys Store on Pasaice ave, The Rca Building that was on 4Th street , and I believe it was Sussex street, They sold appliances , I think that is also were they had a pool in the building and You could go for swimmimg lessons...

ah the old RCA swmming pool. I was there all the time because my father was the chief of guards and my uncle was swim instructer, I was born and raise here and still here I graduated from the old high school in 1960

I ALSO REMEMBER GOING DOWN STAIRS IN THE LIBRARY FOR ART CLASSES THAT WHEN WE USED THE BOTTOM OF THE LIBRARY I THINK THE TEACHER NAME WAS MR.D. I AM NOT SURE.

Archived