House Fire

Guest TownCryer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Great Save!

Talk about being undermanned.....The KFD had Jersey City, East Newark, North Arlington and Harrison on the scene and covering the firehouses, but it was Kearny guys that did the fighting and stopped that fire from taking down the house. Awesome job firemen! ;)

Guest LittleGreenMonster

Most people wouldn't call fifty something thousand big bucks, especially if that meant going into a house that was on fire and trying to save someone that they don't even know. Does your misery and jealousy carry over into your family? I feel sorry for them. ;)

Most people wouldn't call fifty something thousand big bucks, especially if that meant going into a house that was on fire and trying to save someone that they don't even know. Does your misery and jealousy carry over into your family? I feel sorry for them. ;)

Maybe you should ask the average Kearny resident, they may see it differently. These guys are firemen and that is their JOB and what they're PAID to do, they're not volunteers. As far as fifty something thousand, the average is 57k which is closer to 60k than 50k plus benefits. Now how about their benefits, do they pay for that out of their own pocket? I don't think so, so lets add that into their annual salary. So how much does a fireman make including medical, sick days, vacation time, pension and any other benefits they get? The job they do is an important one but it is a JOB. Nobody forced or begged them to take the job. If they don't have a new contract, maybe they should look to their union for the answer. Is the town supposed to just give them whatever they want? They could seek employment elsewhere if thy're that unhappy.

Most people wouldn't call fifty something thousand big bucks, especially if that meant going into a house that was on fire and trying to save someone that they don't even know. Does your misery and jealousy carry over into your family? I feel sorry for them.  ;)

Maybe you should ask the average Kearny resident, they may see it differently. These guys are firemen and that is their JOB and what they're PAID to do, they're not volunteers. As far as fifty something thousand, the average is 57k which is closer to 60k than 50k plus benefits. Now how about their benefits, do they pay for that out of their own pocket? I don't think so, so lets add that into their annual salary. So how much does a fireman make including medical, sick days, vacation time, pension and any other benefits they get? The job they do is an important one but it is a JOB. Nobody forced or begged them to take the job. If they don't have a new contract, maybe they should look to their union for the answer. Is the town supposed to just give them whatever they want? They could seek employment elsewhere if thy're that unhappy.

This thread was supposed to be about the house fire not bitching about the firemen & thier contract. There are plenty of other places on this site to voice your displeasure about the over paid do nothing firemen. Hope your house is not next.

The building is still standing and looks in good shape. I guess the KFD did a good job! What do you think mayor and council should they get a contract?

I think you picked the wrong post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest you BABY

Guest you BABY, you cry and cry and cry .........the firemen make this, plus this cry, cry, cry.......what do you do? where do you work? how much do you make? do you get a pension? lets hear it! I have a feeling if you do answer we will see why you cry so much. How many times did you take the test?

Guest Guest 1

Thank god there are few fires in Ky. and the firmen put them out, that is their job and is what they get paid for, they are not volunteers and we are glad to see them when necessary. It can be dangerous but it is their chosen profession.

Guest leaveitalone
:D good thing you dont get paid per fire eh

Good thing you don't get paid for you're compassion, some of the guys took the job because they wanted to be firemen, some didn't. It certainly ain't for the pay, which you're claiming to be too much. How dangerous is you're job? Paper cuts can be nasty. They know the job is dangerous, yet they continue to do it without a contract. Funny thing about firemen....there always firemen!! :blink:

Most people wouldn't call fifty something thousand big bucks, especially if that meant going into a house that was on fire and trying to save someone that they don't even know. Does your misery and jealousy carry over into your family? I feel sorry for them.  :blink:

Do you think that any Firefighter would object to someone else making the salary and benefits you mention? Would it make you feel better if all blue collar workers were paid minimum wage? Wake up!! You are a pawn in the Divide and Conquer game. It wasn't that long ago that a living wage and health benefits were standard compensation for all but the least skilled. There are very few areas in the current economical fix where the old standard still applies. Those standards should be looked upon as a goal for all working people. I have no place in my life for any person who feels that a decent standard of living isn't proper compensation for a weeks work. If the few hourly workers who still have benefits and a decent salary disappear no one will gain.

Guest Spirit of Chantilly

You're sarcasm is noted!! But, I think you missed the point. I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise. All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test. It's a State test, it can't be that hard. Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

You're sarcasm is noted!! But, I think you missed the point. I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise. All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test. It's a State test, it can't be that hard. Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

Take the test along with 5,000 othrers. Seventy five percent of which are out of towners. If you are able to score in the top twenty, then you have a shot. Kearny is the only municipality in NJ without residency restrictions. There is currently a position available for a "Bus Driver" with the town You must be a resident of either Essex or Hudson County to be eligable for the position. WHY??? Al Santos and the Council have not even attempted to change this decade old Court Order, while every other municipality affected has been released from it. They love out of towners. Out of towners don't care or care to know what is going on inside. Just look at what they did to the KVERS. Dollars be damned, just keep it quiet!!

You're sarcasm is noted!!  But, I think you missed the point.  I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise.  All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test.  It's a State test, it can't be that hard.  Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

Take the test along with 5,000 othrers. Seventy five percent of which are out of towners. If you are able to score in the top twenty, then you have a shot. Kearny is the only municipality in NJ without residency restrictions. There is currently a position available for a "Bus Driver" with the town You must be a resident of either Essex or Hudson County to be eligable for the position. WHY??? Al Santos and the Council have not even attempted to change this decade old Court Order, while every other municipality affected has been released from it. They love out of towners. Out of towners don't care or care to know what is going on inside. Just look at what they did to the KVERS. Dollars be damned, just keep it quiet!!

The test is made up and administered by the State, it is so easy that a person with only an 8th grade education can pass it !!!!

The State even made the physical part of the test easier.

They make it easy for minorities to pass!!!!!

You're sarcasm is noted!!  But, I think you missed the point.  I have followed the numerous posts regarding the contract situation with the F.D., and it seems to me, that their main complaint is going as many years as they have without a raise.

It seems perfectly reasonable that ALL workers, yes even the fireman, should be able to expect some sort of raise.  All arguments otherwise is simply a "haves" and "have nots" argument.

To those that are that jealous of what the Fire Department workers receive, I say take the test.  It's a State test, it can't be that hard.  Just look at how trying the Driver's test is.

By the time they got done fighting the NAACP there would be no $ to hire anybody. They should get rid of the #1 out of towner, I think they could pass a resolution to keep that job in town.

The test is made up and administered by the State, it is so easy that a person with only an 8th grade education can pass it !!!!

Sad but true.

Neither the written or physical test for Kearny Police and Fire are graded in a "pass/ fail" manner. And they never were. They are scored on a competetive basis. If you pass the tests then you are put on a list according to your score. Making any portion of the test easier affects everyone who takes it, not just any particular group. By the way, in most instances, changes involving the physical portion of Police and Fire testing were done as results of complaints by women and/or womens organizations.

Neither the written or physical test for Kearny Police and Fire are graded in a "pass/ fail" manner. And they never were. They are scored on a competetive basis. If you pass the tests then you are put on a list according to your score. Making any portion of the test easier affects everyone who takes it, not just any particular group. By the way, in most instances, changes involving the physical portion of Police and Fire testing were done as results of complaints by women and/or womens organizations.

In the past both the physical or the written test were graded in a pass/fail manner. It used to be 50/50 (to many fails on written). Then they went to written (pass/fail) & physical for score( to many fails on the tunnel part of the physical). Also I think women are considered a minority in this situation. I heard the next test they're going to insert the basketball dunk in lieu of the tunnel.

In the past both the physical or the written test were graded in a pass/fail manner. It used to be 50/50 (to many fails on written). Then they went to written (pass/fail) & physical for score( to many fails on the tunnel part of the physical). Also I think women are considered a minority in this situation. I heard the next test they're going to insert the basketball dunk in lieu of the tunnel.

Put up or shut up!

Archived