Laxed Security At Chemical Plants

Guest Frank Ferreira

Guest Frank Ferreira

If you don't think the lack of security at chemcial plants like the one in South Kearny needs to become a greater priority for our elected officals and of concern to you and your family, you might want to watch 60 Minutes tomorrow and CNN on Monday.

CNN rolls out a three-part series on Chemical Security on Monday, November 17, continuing on Tuesday and Wednesday. The first run of each day will be during the 5pm-6pm ET hour on Wolf Blitzer reports. There will probably be other runs, but the first run will be on Wolf's program.

Log on to this site for more info

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/13/...ain583528.shtml

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think the lack of security at chemcial plants like the one in South Kearny needs to become a greater priority for our elected officals and of concern to you and your family, you might want to watch 60 Minutes tomorrow and CNN on Monday.

CNN rolls out a three-part series on Chemical Security on Monday, November 17, continuing on Tuesday and Wednesday. The first run of each day will be during the 5pm-6pm ET hour on Wolf Blitzer reports. There will probably be other runs, but the first run will be on Wolf's program.

Log on to this site for more info

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/13/...ain583528.shtml

Don't worry there are 2 firemen & a Captain down there.

Guest RobB_Guest

Wow a ghost from the past Frankie F. the man who has forgotten about the little people he swore he'd help even if he wasn't elected. You lost and did a magic trick you disappeared. Oh great one the "terroist" are looking to accomplish several things. 1. Hurt the USA financially. 2. Look to cause a high numbers of American deaths. 3. Kills as many Jews as possible. 3. Attack cherished American symbols. None of the above can be accomplished in South Kearny. Maybe we need to send you there or better yet maybe you were in Iraq trying to sue Saddam for wronging Americans. You should crawl back into the hole from which you've been hiding and stop working up the masses into a frenzie. Funny how you pop out of the woodwork all the sudden. Mayor Al still rules and you'll always be a trouble maker in my book who cost the taxpayers $ to benefit your own selfish venues. Oh Frankie boy where have you been hiding ? GO BACK. Maybe the terroist will release all the sex offenders and they'll go out of their way to attack Kearnyites. Maybe they'll break into the chemical plants and see signs "hey the deadly stuff is over here". Newark airport had mega security. Boston airport. the same. You can go to home Depot and and the stuff in there is just as deadly as whats in those chemical plants. You need to get real or spend more time righting the wrongs instead of trying to make everyone else look like they don't care.

The links on your Environment Page are pretty comprehensive. But, there is one important link for Kearny residents and taxpayers that you should include:

http://rothman.house.gov/news_releases/rel_092503.htm

People should know - the threat is REAL! You can choose to ignore it if you wish, but hasn't there been enough ignored threats over the last few years?

Disagree with Frank Ferreira if you choose, but on this issue he is 100% correct and he has received 0% credit for bringing it to light.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Even if these terrorist hit those chemical plants out in S.Kearny do you honestly think the emergency services in this town can handle it?No way,the fire dept is undermanned as is and does not have have a Hazmat team,Emtac (for now) will be asking for cross streets for 2 hours. What happened to the homeland security grant? I mean, we are only 10-15 minutes outside NYC. And dont say,oh,we rely on mutual aid,because the first personnel on the scene are KFD,KPD and so forth.

Guest ?????????
Wow a ghost from the past Frankie F. the man who has forgotten about the little people he swore he'd help even if he wasn't elected. You lost and did a magic trick you disappeared. Oh great one the "terroist" are looking to accomplish several things. 1. Hurt the USA financially. 2. Look to cause a high numbers of American deaths. 3. Kills as many Jews as possible. 3. Attack cherished American symbols. None of the above can be accomplished in South Kearny. Maybe we need to send you there or better yet maybe you were in Iraq trying to sue Saddam for wronging Americans. You should crawl back into the hole from which you've been hiding and stop working up the masses into a frenzie. Funny how you pop out of the woodwork all the sudden. Mayor Al still rules and you'll always be a trouble maker in my book who cost the taxpayers $ to benefit your own selfish venues. Oh Frankie boy where have you been hiding ? GO BACK. Maybe the terroist will release all the sex offenders and they'll go out of their way to attack Kearnyites. Maybe they'll break into the chemical plants and see signs "hey the deadly stuff is over here". Newark airport had mega security. Boston airport. the same. You can go to home Depot and and the stuff in there is just as deadly as whats in those chemical plants. You need to get real or spend more time righting the wrongs instead of trying to make everyone else look like they don't care.

:D:angry::angry::angry::angry: You sir do not know what you art talking about! Check this link it is just one of many links! :angry:http://ebs.gmnews.com/News/2003/0424/Front...t_Page/002.html

Sure I'm clueless. What about the rail cars that hold those chemicals that are left unattended ? What about the trucks that get the chemicals to those plants ? I guess the chemical plants all arm Conrail employees and truck drivers with automatic weapons. What about the gas station on the corner ? The accident in India ? Lack of goverment safety controls. This country regulates too much now. Maybe we should start telling companies how to run their business so more jobs can go overseas. Does PSEG have armed guards at the generating stations in J.C.,South Kearny ? I highly doubt it but it could all have the same deadly results. But hell I'll be clueless and desire attention while the goverment regulates our lives to the point where we have to be told what to do and when to do it. But listen to Frankie F. he'll lead you right into the fires of hell. While your at it seal off your homes with plastic and duct tape and in a short time your oxygen will be depleted and you'll be dead anyway. But hey lets harp on the chemical plants because they're the only target right now. I'm clueless but I'm a realist. I guess the chemicals are just created at these plants and dispersed magically to the consumer. If these targets are attacks I can bet it won't be at a plant. Hey Frank is it election time again ? Mayor Al would love to kick your butt again.

Sure I'm clueless. What about the rail cars that hold those chemicals that are left unattended ? What about the trucks that get the chemicals to those plants ? I guess the chemical plants all arm Conrail employees and truck drivers with automatic weapons. What about the gas station on the corner ? The accident in India ? Lack of goverment safety controls. This country regulates too much now. Maybe we should start telling companies how to run their business so more jobs can go overseas. Does PSEG have armed guards at the generating stations in J.C.,South Kearny ? I highly doubt it but it could all have the same deadly results. But hell I'll be clueless and desire attention while the goverment regulates our lives to the point where we have to be told what to do and when to do it. But listen to Frankie F. he'll lead you right into the fires of hell. While your at it seal off your homes with plastic and duct tape and in a short time your oxygen will be depleted and you'll be dead anyway. But hey lets harp on the chemical plants because they're the only target right now. I'm clueless but I'm a realist. I guess the chemicals are just created at these plants and dispersed magically to the consumer. If these targets are attacks I can bet it won't be at a plant. Hey Frank is it election time again ? Mayor Al would love to kick your butt again.

RobB,

What Frank & Rosa found down at the Kuehne Plant and I was down there with them on one occasion was that there was no security. There was less security than there was outside my law office and I do not store dangerous chemicals. The idea behind the Corzine bill is to provide a uniform level of security and assistance to the chemical industry. Nobody is saying they should close down, however, they should be secure. Mr. Kuehne, Sr. (who died in a plane crash last year) lived in Asheville, North Carolina. Have you ever been in Asheville, North Carolina. Pristine Blue Mountains. He had a corporate jet which unfortunately crashed. Kuehne has two plants, one in South Kearny and another in Delaware. (Notice: Asheville North Carolina is as far away from South Kearny and Delaware as you can be and still be on the East Coast). Kuehne retrofitted and moderinzed their Delaware plant to keep only enough chlorine on hand for production purposes but not their South Kearny Plant. I live too close to the plant to not be concerned about making sure that all that can be done within reason is. But for Senator Corzine, I see no leadership from our governor, our mayor, or freeholder. Senator Corzine went so far as to criticize our governor. Do you think Corzine (who lives in Hoboken) knows something we don't? He knows enough to know that Frank & Rosa should be thanked not attacked.

I have not been down there recently but I understand that my tax dollars are paying for private security (Kearny Police Officers) to this multi-million(?) dollar company. Why?

John M. Pinho

clueless and paranoid, they work well together. ;)

Chemicals can be a very serious threat. DOT is implementing more and more regulations on the transportation of hazardous materials. Transporters will have to have background checks and fingerprinted in the very near future. Companies moving the materials will have to have written plans on file. Who says these plants can't or won't be targets? Sorry dude, but in this day and age we need to look at everything and be more vigilant in protecting our communities...

Clueless and paranoid? Look in the mirror buddy. Oh, yes, lets all get down and kiss Frankie boy and Rosa's a**. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning or a vehicle while crossing the street. Paranoid are the people who think the terrorists are targeting South Kearny. The same people who are up in arms that sex offenders are BEHIND BARS in South Kearny. I worked in East Jersey State Prison with a hell of a lot worse. They live in a cage, they are not roaming free. Paranoid is worrying about every little thing that might happen and being afraid to live your life. I learned a hard lesson that life is too short. I am not going to spend the rest of mine living in fear, or trying to work my neighbors up into a frenzy over something that is highly unlikely. Is the threat possible? Probably, but highly unlikely. And anyone who doesn't see that Mr. PINHEAD's statement is politically motivated needs to start taking the short bus. You all deserve each other. ;)

RobB,

What Frank & Rosa found down at the Kuehne Plant and I was down there with them on one occasion was that there was no security. There was less security than there was outside my law office and I do not store dangerous chemicals. The idea behind the Corzine bill is to provide a uniform level of security and assistance to the chemical industry. Nobody is saying they should close down, however, they should be secure. Mr. Kuehne, Sr. (who died in a plane crash last year) lived in Asheville, North Carolina. Have you ever been in Asheville, North Carolina. Pristine Blue Mountains. He had a corporate jet which unfortunately crashed. Kuehne has two plants, one in South Kearny and another in Delaware. (Notice: Asheville North Carolina is as far away from South Kearny and Delaware as you can be and still be on the East Coast). Kuehne retrofitted and moderinzed their Delaware plant to keep only enough chlorine on hand for production purposes but not their South Kearny Plant. I live too close to the plant to not be concerned about making sure that all that can be done within reason is. But for Senator Corzine, I see no leadership from our governor, our mayor, or freeholder. Senator Corzine went so far as to criticize our governor. Do you think Corzine (who lives in Hoboken) knows something we don't? He knows enough to know that Frank & Rosa should be thanked not attacked.

I have not been down there recently but I understand that my tax dollars are paying for private security (Kearny Police Officers) to this multi-million(?) dollar company. Why?

John M. Pinho

I think Kuehne pays to have KPD Officers for security. Just like all the other places in town (Shop Rite, K-Mart ect.). Although maybe Homeland Security could be footing the bill. In that case your taxes are paying for it. I just don't think the $ comes directly out of the towns buget.

Here's part of the transcript of yesterday's CNN 3 part series on chemical plants, including the one in S. Kearny. The series continues tonight at 5 p.m. Contrary to the postings of many here, Frank is not being an alarmist. He's right on target and has pointed out a serious security breach. Too bad that our local officials cannot comprehend the magnitude of this problem. Oh wait...they're in Atlantic City this week - boozing it up - too busy to deal with a serious issue. Maybe, just maybe, they will attend a relevant seminar and put our tax dollars to some use.

BLITZER: Making America more secure from terrorist attacks became job number one of the Bush administration after 9/11. Billions have been spent and many billions more have been promised to do just that.

But CNN's Jeanne Meserve now reports on what many warn is a vulnerability of the nation's chemical plants and how Congress, big business, and the nation's security agencies may be dropping the ball in protecting the public.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

JEANNE MESERVE, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): This chemical plant outside New York City is a potential weapon of mass destruction. Twelve million people live within a 14-mile radius of the plant. Frank Ferrara (ph) is one of them. Is he scared?

FRANK FERRARA: How's the word petrified? Petrified is probably a way of describing my reaction. MESERVE: It is one of 15,000 facilities across the U.S. which produce, use, or store toxic chemicals, facilities which have been identified in report after government report as possible terrorist targets. Ferrara began videotaping the plant's security a year ago. He found gates un-padlocked and unguarded. No one challenged his presence.

FRANK FERRARA: Still no padlocks on this gate.

MESERVE: This October a different picture when Ferrara took CNN to the plant. We found television cameras, barbed wire, and barricades. Armed security guards checked us out and called local police to question our crew. The plant president refused to talk on camera ordering his trucks to block our shots. That was in front.

In back from across the river, no one questioned our videotaping of the plant even though we were right next door to the County Sheriff's Department. From that vantage point we could clearly see the plant's proximity to Newark Airport and its location smack underneath a major highway.

FRANK FERRARA: What's there to stop anyone from dropping some sort of a projectile right onto the plant? And, not to mention look at the planes that are landing, 9/11 is a prime example of how an airplane becomes a deadly weapons. What's there to stop anyone from using a plane just to access the plant right from the air?

MESERVE: That American Chemistry Council is a trade group representing some of the largest chemical companies in the United States. It says the industry has made big strides in security since 9/11 by imposing guidelines on itself.

MARTY DURBIN, AMERICAN CHEMISTRY COUNCIL: Everything from adding a gate to having security guards to having biometric identification, tightening up of their computer systems.

MESERVE: But council members own or operate only 1,000 of the 15,000 facilities identified as potential terrorist targets. The Department of Homeland Security working with industry has begun vulnerability assessments of plants that pose the greatest potential risk.

BOS LISCOUSKI, DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY: You look at the location of the plant, as I indicated how accessible it is and then, you know, we have a variety of scenarios that we run that we think are likely scenarios and then based upon those scenarios we'll examine the security capabilities and then make recommendations for enhancement.

MESERVE: But a quick tour of a handful of other plants showed little security. Where there were guards they were unarmed.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: CNN?

MESERVE: Nice to see you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Nice seeing you. MESERVE: In one case, a hole under a fence photographed unchallenged.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It causes me to lie awake at night.

MESERVE: Sal DePasquale (ph) worked in industrial security for more than 15 years. He says the latest industry and government security improvements are not nearly enough.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have a fair idea as to what's been done. In my view it's mostly been window dressing. An adversary can easily drive up, shoot the guard, go onto the facility, place a bomb, rupture a vessel and release all of the material and if we have that we have a catastrophic event. September 11 would pale in comparison.

MESERVE: August, 2002, rural Festus, Missouri, 48,000 pounds of chlorine, about half a railcar accidentally released because of the failure of a small hose. Hundreds were evacuated. More than 60 went to the emergency room.

But hundreds of thousands of people could die with the release of a single railcar of chlorine in an urban setting according to the U.S. Naval Research Lab which created this computer simulation of a worst case toxic release scenario.

Remember this plant where we started next to the highway, next to the airport? It uses chlorine railcar after railcar full to make bleach and it is just a few miles from New York City.

MESERVE: To protect the public, critics say, government must take a much more forceful approach to chemical plant security but more than two years after 9/11 Congress has still not passed a law demanding tighter security.

Jeanne Meserve, CNN reporting.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

BLITZER: Tomorrow Jeanne will take a look at the stalemate over chemical plant safety in the U.S. Congress, why some lawmakers don't want laws that would mandate chemical plant security, must watch TV tomorrow.

Guest RobB_Guest

Oh thank you so much Frank and Rosa for saving my family. Maybe we can sue the chemical plants and make them give back our tax dollars ie. police salaries. Oh wait you guys sued someone already and that cost the taxpayers $. Maybe we can seize the phone records to see if Osama own Khuene. I see political motives behind all of this. Want to change my mind ? Refund all the legal fees Kearny laid out with the last fiasco you guys caused. Mr. Phino you don't need security because even the terroist don't want you. You should change your practice name to the 3 stooges with partners Rosa,Frank, and you. Wow your concerned about security but there you go complaining about your tax dollars. Why ? you care about one thing making Mayor Al look bad. Go after the Kvers and please sell this website soon I heard PCO is for sale. Is it election time again ? Time for a lawsuit ? I'm pretty clueless now huh ? Hey thanks Corzine but I really know Frank and Rosa are the leading force behind your bill. ;)

Guest Guest 1

There is no question that all chemical plants are at risk in these times. Years ago no one thought about that when it came to So. Ky. We didn't live in the times of terrorist acts. After 9/11, it became very apparent that security in general was laxed. If there is an act of terror on a chemical plant in So. Ky.. you won't have to worry about KPD or KFD responding, it won't matter at all and for many miles. All we need to is breathe. Scary, but true.

Oh thank you so much Frank and Rosa for saving my family. Maybe we can sue the chemical plants and make them give back our tax dollars ie. police salaries. Oh wait you guys sued someone already and that cost the taxpayers $. Maybe we can seize the phone records to see if Osama own Khuene. I see political motives behind all of this. Want to change my mind ? Refund all the legal fees Kearny laid out with the last fiasco you guys caused. Mr. Phino you don't need security because even the terroist don't want you. You should change your practice name to the 3 stooges with partners Rosa,Frank, and you. Wow your concerned about security but there you go complaining about your tax dollars. Why ? you care about one thing making Mayor Al look bad. Go after the Kvers and please sell this website soon I heard PCO is for sale. Is it election time again ? Time for a lawsuit ? I'm pretty clueless now huh ? Hey thanks Corzine but I really know Frank and Rosa are the leading force behind your bill. :D

I knew about the prison and the sex offenders, but when did they sneak this looney in. Listen to the doctor.....take your meds :blink:

• 1 year later...
Guest Kearny Resident

It looks like Kuehne has not changed, once it was Frank and Rosa, now its the reporters from the New York Times.

The NYT fronts a bunch of chemical plants in northern New Jersey, particularly a chlorine plant, that mark "what terrorism experts call the most dangerous two miles in America." According to the Times, the EPA estimates that the chlorine plant has the possibility of being a "lethal threat" for a 14-mile radius, home to 12 million people. (Another study, not cited by the NYT, put the number at just a couple million.) The paper says the chlorine plant is so poorly guarded that a "reporter and photographer drove back and forth for five minutes, snapping photos with a camera the size of a large sidearm, then left without being approached." Federal counter-terrorism funding for Jersey has been cut this year from $99 million to $60 million.

Two things about the Times chemical piece: First, the paper glides by the political angle, waiting until the 35th paragraph to mention, in passing, that congressional efforts to bolster chemical-plant security "have been stalled, in part by industry lobbyists." Former EPA Chief Christine Todd Whitman gave the issue a bit more attention in her recent book, writing, "Although both Tom [Ridge] and I agreed such legislation was necessary, strong congressional opposition, led by some Republicans on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee and the House Energy and Commerce Committee, to giving EPA even this modest additional statutory authority, made it difficult to secure administration support." (The New Republic has also probed the lack of action.)

Second point about the chemical piece: Despite all the wandering about, the Times published no close photos and it doesn't name the plant. It's an understandable decision, though one that TP disagrees with. As it happens, other papers and media outlets have already outed the place: It's the Kuehne Chemical Co. plant in Kearny.

see the article about the article at http://slate.msn.com/id/2118302/