community service/harrison gardens

Guest guest

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest_resident_*

FOR YOUR INFORMATION THAT IS A CROSSING GUARD WHO IS TAKING THIS PICTURES.THE CROSSING GUARD IS ON ***** AND ********** IS THE LEGAL OF TAKING PICTURES OF TENANTS.IS SHE MENTALLY CHALLENGED OR WHAT?

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Here's what a normal person thinks:

1. If you are fortunate enough to have an apartment in the Gardens or KC, (yes fortunate, you all know well you could be a paycheck or SSI or Welfare check away from the YMCA in Newark or worse) Most people are. You should want to make it a clean and safe place to live for children (not only your own) and yourself.

2. These things, along with everything else in life, do not come FREE. As a community, you should clean your hallways, report suspicious activity, and look out for the children that live there. This does not mean calling DYFSS because the chick next store owes you 6 bucks for a pack of smokes!!! This means taking an active role as an caring adult, and instead of gossiping about what is going on, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

3. I know many wonderful, productive, successful people who grew up in the Gardens. From what I am hearing these days, there are kids in there that do not stand a chance in hell in life unless someone tries to make a severe change on their part. Try being one of these people instead of complaining about having to clean up a hallway, or pathway, which, that by the way, YOU ARE USING EVERYDAY!!!

4. Even if you do work (full time) and you are on disability (thats a whole other issue) there is no reason that you can not pitch in to make where you live a better place. Have some pride, organize fun and educational activities for the children that live there, look in on your elderly neighbor, try cleaning their hallway for them. Look into mentoring programs, big brother/sister organizations, etc... There are so many things you can do to make it a better place. There are thousands of people with disabilities work everyday, including people in wheelchairs. There is always something you can do, does not have to be physical.

5. If these things were accomplished, then you would not have to get on this site and defend yourselves against people who say you are getting a goverment handout! You would be giving back to your community, making it a better place, and have pride in where you live.

Our ancestors did not come to this country looking for a free ride. They worked hard, saved their money, brought their children up to respect their surroundings and to also work hard for what they want in life. Of coarse there are people who need help, and in this awesome country, they should get it. BUT, that does not mean sitting back and just taking, it also means giving back.

Good luck to you all, I hope the changes going on there make a big difference in kids that live there...

Guest Guest_resident_*

I FOR ONE CLEAN OUR HALLWAYS AND THE WINDOWS IN THE K/C ONCE A WEEK.THE FLOORS ARE DONE,THE STAIRS ARE DONE AND THE WINDOWS.I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CLEANING.BUT THEN AGAIN WE ARE RESONSIBLE FOR OUR HALLWAYS.I ALSO SWEEP AND CLEAN OUTSIDE AND CLEAN OFF THE PORCH I AM KEEPING OUR BUILDING.IF EVERYONE DID THERE PART IT WOULD BE GREAT.!

1. If you are fortunate enough to have an apartment in the Gardens or KC, (yes fortunate, you all know well you could be a paycheck or SSI or Welfare check away from the YMCA in Newark or worse) Most people are.  You should want to make it a clean and safe place to live for children (not only your own) and yourself.

2. These things, along with everything else in life, do not come FREE. As a community, you should clean your hallways, report suspicious activity, and look out for the children that live there. This does not mean calling DYFSS because the chick next store owes you 6 bucks for a pack of smokes!!! This means taking an active role as an caring adult, and instead of gossiping about what is going on, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

3. I know many wonderful, productive, successful people who grew up in the Gardens. From what I am hearing these days, there are kids in there that do not stand a chance in hell in life unless someone tries to make a severe change on their part. Try being one of these people instead of complaining about having to clean up a hallway, or pathway, which, that by the way, YOU ARE USING EVERYDAY!!!

4. Even if you do work (full time) and you are on disability (thats a whole other issue) there is no reason that you can not pitch in to make where you live a better place. Have some pride, organize fun and educational activities for the children that live there, look in on your elderly neighbor, try cleaning their hallway for them.  Look into mentoring programs, big brother/sister organizations, etc... There are so many things you can do to make it a better place. There are thousands of people with disabilities work everyday, including people in wheelchairs. There is always something you can do, does not have to be physical.

5. If these things were accomplished, then you would not have to get on this site and defend yourselves against people who say you are getting a goverment handout! You would be giving back to your community, making it a better place, and have pride in where you live.

Our ancestors did not come to this country looking for a free ride. They worked hard, saved their money, brought their children up to respect their surroundings and to also work hard for what they want in life. Of coarse there are people who need help, and in this awesome country, they should get it. BUT, that does not mean sitting back and just taking, it also means giving back.

Good luck to you all, I hope the changes going on there make a big difference in kids that live there...

God, if you would all take this to heart and doesn't just apply to the HHA.It applies to people and their neighborhooods ,children and their schools.I remember when people from the gardens proudly stated it.As the writer said there were many,many quality people from the gardens.I can think of the chief of police,the principal of Washington School right off the the top of my head.

My grandmother was another.I know she was cleaning her hallway on her hands and knees when she was 75 because it was "her turn".Everybody took their turn.It was their building.They watched out for one another,that's a little different from minding each others business.The idea of public housing was to give people a leg up.It wasn't meant to be an entitlement or a way of lifeIt was supposed to be stop along the way

Guest Perfect

1. If you are fortunate enough to have an apartment in the Gardens or KC, (yes fortunate, you all know well you could be a paycheck or SSI or Welfare check away from the YMCA in Newark or worse) Most people are.  You should want to make it a clean and safe place to live for children (not only your own) and yourself.

4. Even if you do work (full time) and you are on disability (thats a whole other issue) there is no reason that you can not pitch in to make where you live a better place. Have some pride, organize fun and educational activities for the children that live there, look in on your elderly neighbor, try cleaning their hallway for them.  Look into mentoring programs, big brother/sister organizations, etc... There are so many things you can do to make it a better place. There are thousands of people with disabilities work everyday, including people in wheelchairs. There is always something you can do, does not have to be physical.

You hit the nail right on the head and I agree with you 1000%. Could not have been said any better

I WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW WHO IS DOING THIS COMMUNITY SERVICE?THEY SAID MOST OF THE TENANTS WHAT A JOKE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT DOING THIS IS BEING DOING BY HUD OR MIKE RODGERS DOING.THEN GET ALL THESE TENANTS TO DO THIS OR NO ONE WILL BE DOING IT. MOST OF THE GARDENS ARE EXEMPT BECAUSE THEY ARE ON DISABILITY?WHAT FOR BEING CRACKHEADS.COMMUNITY SERVICE IS FOR ALL THESE TENANTS NOT A HANDFUL.IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK.EVERYONE MUST BE DOING IT.

What the hell is (I would you like to know)Someones name?

FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE ON DISABILITY, FOR NO GOOD REASON, SHOULD TRY TO GET A JOB, AND YOU WOULD FEEL 100% BETTER, AND LIVE A  BETTER LIVE.

I read this stupid stuff alot...I feel now I have to comment......

Some of you should really get your facts straight! Try being in the mentally ill Persons shoes or someone elses that have a number of medical problems combined!! THEN and ONLY THEN you can talk about Disabled People...

Enjoy YOUR illness of bashing peoples Lives....

Guest Guest_resident_*

are you parents mentally ill to? since you like to talk about other people you might just be mentally challenged as well.who cares what anyone gets but it is a problem with you.maybe you should go for disability.

I read this stupid stuff alot...I feel now I have to comment......

Some of you should really get your facts straight! Try being in the mentally ill Persons shoes or someone elses that have a number of medical problems combined!!  THEN and ONLY THEN you can talk about Disabled People...

Enjoy YOUR illness of bashing peoples Lives....

well half the people living in harrison gardens that are on disabilty are working under the table and collecting, so let not talk about being in there shoes, if they are that sick then why work.

Next time try to actually comprehend what you read...

The writer said "with no good reason" and you know well there are many, many of them out there....

No one is bashing people with REAL disabilities, OBVIOUSLY if you have a mental disablity there are going to be obstacles preventing you from giving back to society. No one is arguing that fact.

Archived